Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:13:51 AM EDT
I want to be a cop, always have been. I am really struggling with the fact that my daughter may grow up without her father someday. It is a dangerous job, and one that's worth doing, but at that cost? I like to think that i'd be out there every night trying to protect her and those who can't protect themselves. Not to be a hero, anyone who gets into this business to be a hero is doing it for the wrong reasons. I want to do it becuase it right. Testing is this weekend, there is a workshop that I am attending Wed night that will teach me a lot of info, but I just don't know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:36:58 AM EDT
If you really want to do it then do it. You are alot more likely to be killed driving down the road or by some other freak act of nature.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:57:12 AM EDT
You're going to die.

We all are going to die. Get that straight in your head. Accept your mortality.
If you want a job where you have a lot interaction with all sorts of people and can actually do something to make your world a better place... This is where it's at.

If you want to be bashed by people who would never want to do your job, but(think they) know more about it than you do. This is it.

If you want to be a professional and help those who can't help themselves. If you want to see people at their finest and worst moments. If you know right from wrong, and can put all your biases aside this is it.

To me this is truly living. I've tasted death.. Seen the miracle of birth. Been hit, called names. Rescued people. And ocassionally thanked. I try to leave everyone I've had contact with a little better off. Not always possible.

Read "I love a cop" and have your wife read it. You most likely have bad days off, work holidays and sleep when most of your friends are working . You will do and see things that the average person either doesn't want to know about or can't get their head around. My wife used to call BS on some of the things I would tell her. My buddies told her the same thing and she still had a hard time getting her head around it.

You don't do this job to get rich.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 12:42:21 PM EDT by Bowhntr6pt]
If you have doubts, bad enough to label it as "really struggling", I recommend you find another line of work. One can't afford to "struggle" mentally while on the street.

The "price" that is generally paid is the ULTIMATE cost . IT IS A MUST if we are to live as free citizens. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DIE, FORGET LE AS A CAREER. You must be 100% committed, your life, citizens lives, and the lives of your fellow officres may depend upon your ability to act/react without due reguard for your own safety. One can not hesitate at the moment of truth. This does not mean you have to DIE to get the job done it simply means that the issue must already be settled in your mind.

The job is a great one with rewards beyond your wildest imagination. Yes, it can be dangerous, but what activity nowdays isn't?

Like posted above, your more likely to get taken out in a traffic crash than anything else. I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I have served with too damn many officers that have no damn backbone when the going gets tough. When the SHTF, it's all about survival.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:43:59 PM EDT
You could get killed walkin' your doggie.

If you are "struggling" with this, then law enforcement is not the profession for you.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:47:37 PM EDT
You are all right. %100. Let me ask you this - those of you with children, when they ask you why it is you go out there every night, what do you tell them? I've already told my daughter that it's becuase I want to protect her, and the whole city the best I can (she got a kick out of that). She asked me if I was going to arrest all the snakes :D. I know I just have cold feet, I know this is what I want. I am just scared, scared to death. I know that after awhile on the street that my being bound to duty will help that a lot, but I am just afraid. I am not letting the fear prevent me, I am letting it fuel me, but that doesn't get rid of the little devil on my shoulder saying "I told you so", should I fall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:21:10 PM EDT
Im not an LEO, but thought I'd share my own views if thats ok.

You can not let your fear of "not coming home" effect your career goals if you are going to make it in your chosen profession. You will take the oath to serve and protect the community...knowing the risks. Its hard to swallow the fact that your daughter may not have a father to watch her graduate from highschool, walk her down the isle, hold her first born....but as said before the same outcome can come off duty. You can not let the worst case scenerio effect your daily performance, it'll get others and more importantly yourself hurt.

Fortunately for me, I was a firefighter before my family was established. Which is a whole different situation than yours, I understand that. I found out real quickly that leaving work "on the truck" was the best scenerio for my family. Letting your shift effect you at home posses its own dilemas.

Your child/children will grow to understand you're out there to help people and make the world a safer place for all of us. Allowing them to interact with your workplace never hurts either. Let them see what dad does when he's not at home goes along away, at least for us.

Hope everything works out, if you arent sure dont feel bad about it.....its not for everyone. Enjoy your children while they are young, you dont get those days back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:43:54 PM EDT
I am a police officer and I ride streetbikes and dirtbikes. I am much more concerned about getting killed by some HUA cellphone talkin' driver on 101 when I'm commuting to work on my street bike than I am when I'm on duty in uniform. Are you going to stop all activities that have some inherent risk because you have family?

Brian
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 5:50:19 AM EDT by gutshot]
Children: From good families love the police up until they reach puberty. Your kid will think it's really neato that POP is a COP. That's until about highschool age. Then they will not want anyone to know. But all teenagers are like that aren't they. The real problem comes from shift work/long hours. This can and does take a tremendous toll on your family.

Things That Jam Officers UP: Cop groupies & Alcohol. Higher than normal divorce rate for officers. High suicide rate too.

There are more things that won't kill you that will ruin your family life.

Scared is not good. Fear is a good thing. You learn to use it to keep you safe.
May I suggest that you take a look at the Officer Down Memorial Page. Read the one that died closest to your birthday. Then read the latest one.

Now sit back in a quiet spot and reflect on your feelings. Ask yourself what is your real motivation to do this job.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=2164

Trooper Brady died 1 day before my birthday. He died in an accident while in route to assist other officers. He was survived by a wife and 2 small children.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:01:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 9:52:27 AM EDT by Bowhntr6pt]

Originally Posted By KevinCa316:
I know I just have cold feet, I know this is what I want. I am just scared, scared to death. I know that after awhile on the street that my being bound to duty will help that a lot, but I am just afraid.

At least you are being honest about your feelings. With that being said, I see nothing but bad juju for you, your FTO, and your fellow officers. To "hit the streets" with this type of doubt and self admitted fear is going to get you or someone else in trouble.

Have you participated in any Police ride-alongs? Maybe spending several days as an "observer", for those departments that still allow it, may help.

Dude, you are going to have to have a strong and positive attitude when dealing with the street scum, even when you are outnumbered, you still have to "pull up your gun belt" and walk up to them and enforce the law. The street scum WILL TRY TO PLAY YOU, they will know you are new and they WILL TEST YOU.

There is a big difference between the "John Wayne Syndrome", a bad and dangerous thing, and "Maintaining Control" over your bailwick, which is an absoloute must. As a road officer, your beat belongs to you, not the street scum. Experience, training, leadership, and common sense will teach you the difference.

It's like I have told many a street scum, "I got a wife and two kids at home that I take shit from...When I come to work, I'm done taking shit, and that includes putting up with or listening to your shit...got it?

True story... I had an officer once that was, well, slightly scared to say the least. He parked his cruiser on the corner in "Crack Town" and began to just watch and observe the ongoings. He suddenly calls me to come over to where he is. When I get there, he said he thought folks where throwing stuff at him because he keeps hearing stuff hit the building and ground. To have stuff thrown at the Police in this area is a common thing.

I realized that this was embarrising for him but I also felt a duty to "help him out". So I pulled around the corner to where I saw a bunch of guys gathered on the corner. When I pulled up, several ran off. I got out of my car, put on my gloves, and struck up a conversation with those who stayed.

I simply told those that stayed to tell the others upon their return, and I know they will be back as soon as I leave, that "enough is enough". My partner had been sitting on the corner not bothering anyone and "you guys" decide to start shit by throwing stuff at him. Well, here is how it's gonna be... we are slow tonight so if you guys want to play "cops and robbers" we will certainly play along. But I warn you all... I'm gonna "play for keeps". You all can either sit here and "hang on the corner" in peace, or we can all "Get Busy", which is gonna be?

Immediately, one guy spoke up and said that he would take care of everything and there will be no more rock throwing. Sure enough, no more incidents for the night. This was embarrising for my partner for me to have had to go do that on his behalf but I could see a change in him from that night on. Eventually, he left police work.

The point of this is he was new and they were testing him. I had established a reputation early on when hired that I'm not to be fucked with nor will I fuck with you needlessly. They knew who I was and that I would "put my hands on them" if need be, "run after them" if need be, etc. I felt that I was within my capabilities to go approach those guys on the corner w/o the need for additional help. If not, I would have called for more units.

You will face such situations often in police work, how you deal with them tells the street scum alot about you and your ability.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:36:53 AM EDT
+1 on being tested. All the shit heads will test you. Try spending a little time in a jail and you'll see it big time there. Shit heads will immediately attempt to strike up a conversation with you because they want to test you to see how far they will be able to get with you. If you are a new officer, you will deal with people who have been arrested more times than you have arrested bad guys. They've contacted more LE than you've contacted bad guys. They WILL TEST YOU to see how you will react.

If you are scared now I frankly don't think LE is for you. Realistically, you should be excited. I would do a few ridalongs to see what you think and you might consider trying to get a job in a jail for a little while to see if it's for you. If you can't handle them in a controlled environment then you certainly won't be able to handle them in an uncontrolled environment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:55:48 AM EDT
I agree with everything stated above.

Heart > Badge

You can still serve your community in other LE related fields without strapping on a gun.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:43:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:
If you really want to do it then do it. You are alot more likely to be killed driving down the road or by some other freak act of nature.

+1.

Statistaclly, more officers (and FF's and medics) die from 10-50's (MVA's - traffic accidents) than by shootings, fire, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:09 PM EDT
I attended a recruit workshop at the PD tonight. I've made my decision, i'm doing this. Everything you've all said is right and I appreciate the support. I am very excited about this, I can't wait untill the testing this weekend. I really feel like I have a good shat, and I know I can and want to do this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:39:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
It's like I have told many a street scum, "I got a wife and two kids at home that I take shit from...When I come to work, I'm done taking shit, and that includes putting up with or listening to your shit...got it?

Permission requested to use your line with the following modification: "I got a red headed German wife at home that I take shit from..."

Brian
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:19:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brian4wd:

Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

Permission requested to use your line with the following modification: "I got a red headed German wife at home that I take shit from..."

Brian

Granted Sir !!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:40:02 PM EDT
Good luck. MAke sure you get a good night's sleep beforehand, and show up early to the test site.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:01:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KevinCa316:
You are all right. %100. Let me ask you this - those of you with children, when they ask you why it is you go out there every night, what do you tell them? I've already told my daughter that it's becuase I want to protect her, and the whole city the best I can (she got a kick out of that). She asked me if I was going to arrest all the snakes :D. I know I just have cold feet, I know this is what I want. I am just scared, scared to death. I know that after awhile on the street that my being bound to duty will help that a lot, but I am just afraid. I am not letting the fear prevent me, I am letting it fuel me, but that doesn't get rid of the little devil on my shoulder saying "I told you so", should I fall.

I've told them because it's what I have to do right now to pay the bills. When I find something better, I'll be all over it. I made good on my word. Cop work was BS. I'm glad to be out.
Top Top