Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 1:50:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 3:00:54 PM EDT by fadedsun]
I'm leaving Texas tommorow at 3am in the morning to depart for Pensacola, where i will be residing for college. I'm going to take I-20 to Meridian, (450 miles) hop on some smaller 2 lane roads and go about 300 miles south...directly to P-cola. I'll pull up the map in a minute.

I am worried though because this is going to be the first time I've EVER drive across state lines by myself, and if I screw up I'm going to have to use my super-high-speed-low-drag map skills to extract myself from the situation.

I am guessing it's going to be about a 18-hour drive...sooo I figure 14 hours driving, 4 resting/sleeping/eating. I'm making a cooler full of strombolis to take so I don't have to stop. What I have to worry about is geting carjacked-I20 is the route that the evacuation is taking, so I had best be on my guard. No weapons with me aside from a trusty crowbar (Think Half life/HF2 ), so drilling the punks isn't an option... Although a 5000lb Mercedes might prove to be a really good looter-smasher -I just got my tires replaced today .

Any advice or comments?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:54:01 PM EDT
14 hours straight by a "rookie" will be tough!!

Also....stay in control,don't let road rage make you boo-boo
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:56:07 PM EDT
Good luck!

Stop at the welcome stations in MS. They'll usually give you a map of the state and hightlight your route for you. In most welcome stations the people working there are very friendly and relatively knowledgeable.

Mount a brush guard to the front of the Benz. It'll cut down on the dings and dents from looters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:57:03 PM EDT
Take a gun if you can and put it in the trunk. Give your self more time for rest. At least total of 8 hours in a rest area or two. That is where the truckers will be sleeping anyhow. Stop every 2-300 miles to stretch, walk around and take a leak. If you have not driven that far before by yourself it is going to be hard to stay awake the last leg of the trip.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:58:08 PM EDT
What college? Me and the wife and graduates of UWF (1989)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:58:30 PM EDT
Your biggest problem is going to be fuel. It's bad here in Pcola and the panhandle in general. Bring yourself some 5 gallon Blitz fuel cans and a 30 foot metal cable to secure them. I have no problem getting diesel, but gasoline is a tough one .

Otherwise welcome to Pensacola!

Pensacola Gas
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:58:45 PM EDT
Take a shovel
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:59:04 PM EDT
I've got more miles behind me than 99% of the crew here.

The BEST advice I can give you, is when you FIRST begin to think of finding a place to shut down for a nap... DO IT!!!

Young, old, inexperienced, experienced... don't matter. Fatigue is your biggest enemy in the battle to safely destinate!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
Only thing I'd say is take a gun. If you absolutely can't, make sure you keep your doors locked and gas tank full. Maybe a spare can in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:01:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nationwide:

The BEST advice I can give you, is when you FIRST begin to think of finding a place to shut down for a nap... DO IT!!!

Young, old, inexperienced, experienced... don't matter. Fatigue is your biggest enemy in the battle to safely destinate!

Do not sleep at a freakin rest stop. When you wake up, your view may be the pearly gates. If you stop, get a cheap room at the Motel 6.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:05:26 PM EDT
Youll do fine, just bring plenty of gas and maybe throw some extra water and food to give yourself some peace of mind. Dont forget to rest, and dont feel bad if you need to stop and ask directions. Im at college right now, feels very naked without any sort of weapons. Home is only 3 hours away but with the current crisis I feel a bit vulnerable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:06:26 PM EDT
Don't forget to take a loan out to pay for the gas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:10:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MudFlapper:
Your biggest problem is going to be fuel. It's bad here in Pcola and the panhandle in general. Bring yourself some 5 gallon Blitz fuel cans and a 30 foot metal cable to secure them. I have no problem getting diesel, but gasoline is a tough one .

Pensacola Gas

I am not going to have a problem with gas. Err, I mean diesel. My car has a 45 gallon fuel tank so I have PLENTY to go to P-cola. Plus I get 35 MPG on the higway

I cannot take any of my rifles...because..umm.... I would be going onto an elementary school every other day to work traffic. I do know a guy who kept an o/u shotgun in the area behind the seats in his truck. Never got caught, and he graduated.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:10:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8:
Don't forget to take a loan out to pay for the gas...

I filled up when it was 2.38 a gallon
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:13:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Do not sleep at a freakin rest stop. When you wake up, your view may be the pearly gates. If you stop, get a cheap room at the Motel 6.

Hmm... given the recent unpleasantries, I'm inclined to agree.

You could also park near a light at the far end of a Wal-Mart parking lot...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Pensacola Gas

I am not going to have a problem with gas. Err, I mean diesel. My car has a 45 gallon fuel tank so I have PLENTY to go to P-cola. Plus I get 35 MPG on the higway

I cannot take any of my rifles...because..umm.... I would be going onto an elementary school every other day to work traffic. I do know a guy who kept an o/u shotgun in the area behind the seats in his truck. Never got caught, and he graduated.

Escambia County / Pensacola is one of the most gun friendly places in Florida if not the entire nation. So, you may not be able to take the rifle to school , but the deputies here may go easy on you if they take a peek in you car for "whatever reason".

I'd offer to keep them in my safe, but it fell over board in a tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:19:50 PM EDT
Check out what packing.org says.
You can't CC on a school campus, but you can carry loaded handguns in your car in MS. If you're a school employee, it might be a different matter...

When I was in high school in the good ole days (84-88) all the male faculty had deer rifles in racks. My English teacher was a police reserve officer, he had a Mini-14 in his rifle rack and kept a Desert Eagle in his glove compartment and a Beretta 92 in his briefcase.

Once you cross over into MS, lock and load your pistolas. Long guns are a different matter because of poaching, but with the current situation, I'd imagine the officers would fuss at you for not keeping them loaded...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:09:45 PM EDT

Pensacola Gas

Escambia County / Pensacola is one of the most gun friendly places in Florida if not the entire nation. So, you may not be able to take the rifle to school , but the deputies here may go easy on you if they take a peek in you car for "whatever reason".

I'd offer to keep them in my safe, but it fell over board in a tragic boating accident.

Ehh wasn't it a hurricane accident?

Escambia county SO rocks.

The school wouldn't sign a pass to go to a gunshop, much less a shooting range.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:12:08 PM EDT
I just went over to Krogers and topped off my tank plus a little 5 gallon blitz tank...giving me 50 gallons . I am not going to need to fill up until Midterm .

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:23:35 PM EDT

Listen to the man, he knows whereof he speaks.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:33:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:59:02 PM EDT
Update

I made it safely. It ended up being an 15 hour drive, up from my guess of 12. I saw a few people walking along I-20 with stuff on their backs, so I'm guessing they were evacuees from NO. I also saw a 30-truck long convoy of Texas National Guard soldiers on I-20 east heading towards LA, and another one heading towards LA on I-20 West, with many small 1/2/3/4 truck/humvee groups. Also saw a 14 long vehicle convoy of Federal Protective police driving Explorers (And one expedition), and a Fire prevention unit and numerous charity groups heading into LA.

I got lost twice heading down south from I-20 east on Highway 80. Missed my turn as Highway 80 does not stay straight .

I arrived into P-cola at 1:00AM monday morning. Everyone else on campus drives a gas powered vehicle, except for me. Gotta love diesel. Total trip time ended up being 890 miles and I still have a little less than half a tank. I brought along a 5 gallon fuelcan and poured that in about halfway.....

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 3:05:19 PM EDT by ZCHF]
Dont worry. On my first cross country trip(townville,PA to san diego,CA) I went 37 hours straight, no sleep, by myself.
12 pack red bull + 6 no doz = not the right formula. That was the worst shape I have ever been in in my life. Woke up a couple times while driving and when I stopped for gas in New mex, I couldnt walk straight, like I was drunk. Not the smartest thing I have ever done

Anyway, you should make yours easy.

EDIT* damnit my stupid post was too late...

Well congrats on making it
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:41:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZCHF:
Dont worry. On my first cross country trip(townville,PA to san diego,CA) I went 37 hours straight, no sleep, by myself.
12 pack red bull + 6 no doz = not the right formula. That was the worst shape I have ever been in in my life. Woke up a couple times while driving and when I stopped for gas in New mex, I couldnt walk straight, like I was drunk. Not the smartest thing I have ever done

Anyway, you should make yours easy.

EDIT* damnit my stupid post was too late...

Well congrats on making it

I was dozing off a few times and was tempted to sleep but after getting lost my adrenaline kicked in and it kept me awake until I reached P-cola. My roommates are nice people and my Girlfriend says she is going to come down here and visit me
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:26:25 PM EDT

Update

I made it safely. It ended up being an 15 hour drive, up from my guess of 12. I saw a few people walking along I-20 with stuff on their backs, so I'm guessing they were evacuees from NO. I also saw a 30-truck long convoy of Texas National Guard soldiers on I-20 east heading towards LA, and another one heading towards LA on I-20 West, with many small 1/2/3/4 truck/humvee groups. Also saw a 14 long vehicle convoy of Federal Protective police driving Explorers (And one expedition), and a Fire prevention unit and numerous charity groups heading into LA.

I got lost twice heading down south from I-20 east on Highway 80. Missed my turn as Highway 80 does not stay straight .

I arrived into P-cola at 1:00AM monday morning. Everyone else on campus drives a gas powered vehicle, except for me. Gotta love diesel. Total trip time ended up being 890 miles and I still have a little less than half a tank. I brought along a 5 gallon fuelcan and poured that in about halfway.....

I am glad you made it. Specially with no heat.
Top Top