Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 12:49:57 PM EDT
My mom had surgery yesterday to replace her hip replacement. All the problems my mom has kept me a little worried over how she would do. The most worriesome was unexplained anemia. Dad called me yesterday right after the surgery, he hadn't seen her yet but he said all went well. I just got off the phone with him and he says she is doing really good. They were getting ready to get her up and take her for a walk when he left and they are still planning on a discharge tomorrow.
One problem may arise though on discharge and that is she may not be able to care for herself at home and they have no insurance that would cover in home nursing or rehab stay at a nursing home. If it becomes to much of a problem I may be away for a few days or however long she needs me. Not that I don't want to take care of my mom, but I really don't want to be away from home for any long period of time, they live 2 1/2 hrs away. If everyone could keep her in their thoughts and prayers that she does ok at home I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Best to  your mother.  She may require more than a few days of home recovery.  I know a woman whose husband was kept busy caring for her quite a while after her surgery.  Fortunately, they had a nurse come in to help with the more physically demanding aspects of her care.    
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayers for your mother inbound.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I talked with Dad last night and they have kept Mom for another day. She is still in considerable pain. Dad says she will more then likely be discharged today and after they get the instructions on how much she can do and how well she is able to do it, they will decide if I need to journey north.
After the first 2 replacements, she did fine and needed no extra help, but I fear the older age (62) has taken the toll and I will be setting off in the morning to go be the good little daughter.  I'm going to have to call my half-sister and give her hell too, she doesn't work and her hubby is in Tennessee all week for work and her son just left for Purdue on Saturday, she's alone and nothing to do. But she does have pets and no one home to watch them, so that leaves me again. Or my brothers wife, she doesn't work since she hasn't gotten her papers to legally work in the states yet, they have no kids. Hmm I may be on to something here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Good Luck to your Mom.

The neighbor lady, across the street is about 60 & she recently had both hips replaced & she is doing real well.  I'm sure that your Mom will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#8]
When I talked to Dad yesterday afternoon, he was told Mom needed a Nursing Home, he told them no she is not going there, we have set up 24/7 care at home. I hope it is the right decision. She is stubborn and gets down easy with her depression. When I talked with her last night she was upset that they made her stay up all day at the hospital yesterday. I bluntly told her she would not be in bed all day at home either. She is going to walk, exercise, do her therapy etc. If not I would leave and Dad could deal with it. She knows this means she will be going to a home if she doesn't do it for us. It's a tough line, but one we have to use with her.

I will be leaving sometime today and hopefully I will have time to check in here at Dads now and then. I'll be there until Friday evening, coming home on the weekend so I can see MrGH. I will probably be back up there next week also.

thanks for the good thoughts, prayers coming her way and please keep them coming for a quick recovery. She had to have 2 pints of blood yesterday for her anemia, so the surgery did a number on her in more ways then one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#9]
That's awesome MrsGH That you can be there for your Mom.  God Bless her and you and may she have a quick recovery.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Best wishes and good thoughts coming right over!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Best of luck to you and her for a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Best wishes for your Mom Mrs Gungho!

My mom will have a knee replacment next week but I hope your mom will be okay!

Prayers sent!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Prayers sent  MrsGH
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#14]
ok, so I am here and things are good. Mom is getting around alot better then Dad led me to believe. She has to get up and down on her own period. I am basically just a gopher and making sure she does her exercises. The hospital is suppose to call today to set up therapy there. Can't wait for Friday to go home to my pillow top mattress, oh and MrGH.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#16]
great news.  I bet your Mom's enjoying you non the less.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
hip replacement is a big thing, if she got through the surgery fine, she'll be ok, just takes a lil getting used to, especially when you have the old one all worn in nice & comfy. either way, good luck with ma, & don't think of it as a bad thing, think of it as spending quality time with her & use it as a mini vacation
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Thoughts and prayers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top