Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 5:19:31 PM EDT by Lollypop_69]
Hello all.

I am a thirty-ish male, who is somewhat interested in getting involved in being a reserve deputy and I have lots of questions. I would rather figure a few things out here before I call the local SO and have to give my name SSN DL# and such (and then ask dumb questions and look like an ass.)
I am wundering what academe I should go to, I see "police academe" courses at the local comunity college, they claim that this course is required to become a reserve deputy, then you could take more and qualify for full time deputy, so if I just go sign up and take this, then figure if I want to get a job or not will the local SO recognize this, or do they like to send you to training them selves?
Do reservist get payed any thing? Not that I care. I really don't want to be a full time cop, I have a good job (self employed) I just want to get out in the comunity and meet people and get to know the local LEOs, I want to be a confirmed good guy. What type of people become reservist, ie; young, old, retired cops, wanna-be cops? I hear that reservist are always with a full time deputy, I like that idea, I really wouldn't want it any other way.
I know allmost nothing, so please tell me EVERYTHING about this, or maybe other jobs I could be interested in.

Now I allready read the thread about back ground checks below, but have more questions.
I have a PERFECT criminal record, I'm so freaking clean that I've never even got a speeding ticket! Possible problems, I have visited "mental health professionals before, not since I was 19 though. Will that come up in a background check? I served in the US military and was honorably discharged (NOT "general", or "general, under honorable conditions", but full "honorable", the best there is),, problem is I was let go early for the above mentioned problem, I was diognosed as haveing depression, they never offered my any meds or anything, just let me go. I was haveing trouble at home, my mothers pre existing heart condition was getting worse and my grand mother had a stroke, I tried to get emergency leave to go see them and help out, but was told basiclly that allthough the military has such a "hardship" leave program, that the only way I could get it was if I was a chick.( The people I talked to refused to even let me file the papers for it.) So I ended up on a shrinks couch. I feel that I am in better mental condition now than others who have never seen a shrink before. My military record is otherwise outstanding! I received several ribbons and awards during my time in, not one reprimand, or bad page seven.

Another thing, while in the military, I was investigated for a serios crime, the local SO got a search warrant for my barrocs room and my vehicle. I don't even think it was legal for the county to issue a warrant for a federal building. I was basiclly proven innocent, and never heard from them again. That was in another state, not where I live now.

Will any of this stop, or hinder me from becomeing a reserve deputy, or maybe 4X4 SAR, or mounted posse member? Please don't flame me, these are serios questions.
Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:36:50 PM EDT
With all due respect, you may want to edit your post for spelling. Not all jurisdictions have reserve programs. Most however do have web sites, so you can check if your SO or PD has one prior to calling. You did not state what the criminal investigation was all about? How exactly were you "proven innocent"? They will of course need to know all the facts.

You will need to be prepared to discuss your military service and past criminal history in detail. Failure to disclose these items could be grounds for termination. Most reserve positions are unpaid. Training will depend on what you will be doing and if you are sworn or unsworn.

Good luck in your endevor.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LastDefender:
With all due respect, you may want to edit your post for spelling. Sorry, I don't have spell check and I get flamed for that a lot Not all jurisdictions have reserve programs. Most however do have web sites, so you can check if your SO or PD has one prior to calling. You did not state what the criminal investigation was all about? Some chick got raped, several guys got named as suspects and thus searched. How exactly were you "proven innocent"? I guess I used the wrong term, they found no reason to continue to suspect me, I never went to court/was never arrested. I think they caught some other guy who was the real rapist, like I said I never heard from them again They will of course need to know all the facts. Will this even show up on whatever back ground check they do?

You will need to be prepared to discuss your military service and past criminal history in detail. Failure to disclose these items could be grounds for termination. Most reserve positions are unpaid. Training will depend on what you will be doing and if you are sworn or unsworn.

Good luck in your endevor.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 7:35:52 PM EDT by DigDug]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:45:51 PM EDT
DigDug, that sounds great. Thanks.

The thing about "so I can carry a gun", when I was 14 to 18 I probablly felt that way, now I realize that I actually don't want to be put in a position where I would have to kill another person (I guess it's called maturity) I allready stated why I want to do this, to meet people, get to know my county and it's residents. Getting to "get in good" with the local LEOs would be a big plus as well.

I allready carry a gun anyways.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:33:11 AM EDT
BTT for more replys.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:30:28 AM EDT
More than one person considering going into law enforcement full time has taken that route, to see what the job is like.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:23:28 AM EDT
Go for it I became a auxiliary police officer about 6 months ago and I love it. In NJ your department sends you for the training. It is a 50 something hour course two nights a week for about 2 or 3 months. The course goes over use of force, law, evidence, traffic control, radiological emergences, first aid, hazmat, terrorism, and some other stuff I can't think off. It is all volunteer work we usually handle special events and can be called in for emergences to help supplement the full time guys. They encourage us to ride with the regulars as their partner. We are required to do 8 hours of duty a month. All uniforms and most equipment is supplied by my department. We are issued hand cuffs, baton, and OC Spray. Sorry no guns but this is NJ. The only thing you need to provide are shoe/boots and a bullet vest if you want one.
Top Top