Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2005 12:45:49 PM EDT
My boss wants to pay me to drive his Mercedes from Bayridge, NY to Palm Springs, CA, all expenses paid. I have never been to most of the states I'll be driving through, so I'm looking forward to the trip. Not much time for sight seeing though, I gotta be their by early Monday.

I made it!  I left on Thursay morning and arrived Sunday at 2PM CA time.  

The first four states were a nightmare. On Thursday, it starting snowiing in NJ and got progressively worse through PA, OH and Indiana. For about four hours in PA and OH, I was only able to 35MPH. Late Thursday, it was still snowing in Indiana, of coarse at night the road started to freeze. The bridges in Indiana were completely frozen. The last bridge I approached, a tractor trailer jack knifed, blocking the road completely. We were stuck on the bridge for TWO hours. While on the bridge, cars and trucks were stopped, but sliding on the ice, hitting guard rails and other vehicles. It's amazing I got off that bridge with no damage. I was finally able to find a vacant hotel and crashed for the night.
Next morning, still snowing! Driving through Illinois and Missouri, the snow finally stopped by the time I hit Oklahoma.Friday, I found another hotel for the night in Oklahoma City, OK.  Saturday morning,  the weather was great, I finished Oklahoma and entered Texas. I was about 150 miles into New Mexico when I got pulled over by a trooper, rightfully so at 118 MPH. After a lengthy talk about firearms and him agreeing that all law abiding citizens should be able to carry, he let me go with a "have a safe trip".  Feeling like complete crap, I stopped early at a hotel in Gallup, NM.  Sunday, I started out cruising into AZ and finally California.

No offense to any other states, but I was most impressed with Texas, AZ and California. While in California, I stayed at the bosses 100 acre "get away" ranch. I stayed until Tuesday and flew back with him, on his private jet, which was real cool. In the end, he ended up giving me $3000.00 for driving the car out and offered me a job to be his driver AND that I get to pick a car/truck of my choice to KEEP. He is flying myself and my wife back to the ranch in March for a party, among the guests, James Galdofini, Edie Falco, Lorraine Bracco, Tony Sirico and a few of the other Sopranos cast.

Overall, the trip was worth it.

<Edit to make title fit the forum.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Pack some Preparation H.  Long periods of sitting are hard on the roids.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The springs is nice this time of year...

I would try to hang in the southern states on the way west...I think the central state highways can be treacherous with the incoming storms.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Stop here, bring your AR's and let me and Arkan borrow them till you come back through. Oh. leave a case of ammo or 12
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stop here, bring your AR's and let me and Arkan borrow them till you come back through. Oh. leave a case of ammo or 12

And pistols damnit, lots of pistols.  ummmm you know hand guns.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Did he by chance mention how you would be getting home.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Wish I could carry, I think it will be just a k-nife.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I keep hearing about this antique thing called a 1911.  Apparently some people like one.  I checked the museum but they didn't have any.  Drop a few off for us.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wondering the samething.... You droping it off or is it for a meeting?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I keep hearing about this antique thing called a 1911.  Apparently some people like one.  I checked the museum but they didn't have any.  Drop a few off for us.

Is that the one John Wayne used in that movie "The Flying Leathernecks of Iwo Jima"?

If so, those are retro as hell.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
So, how are you getting back? Or didn't you think of that!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
So, how are you getting back? Or didn't you think of that!

eta: damn I gotta read ALL the repies before posting...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that the one John Wayne used in that movie "The Flying Leathernecks of Iwo Jima"?

If so, those are retro as hell.

Retro is 'in' right now.  Does Old Navy sell them? We've got an old navy up the road.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Retro is 'in' right now.  Does Old Navy sell them? We've got an old navy up the road.  

He was in the Marines in that flick so I'm sure that you could get one at the Old Department of the Navy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Home, I have to go back home?

Paid return flight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Good luck!  Drive safely and enjoy yourself.  

Oh, Merry Christmas--it's good to see you posting.  

Hey Mike!  Merry Christmas and thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait... I think I saw this movie!!!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.amazon.com/images/P/0783114893.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Or was it...

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Might I suggest you make sure there's nothing in the trunk that might be of interest to certain law enforcement officials?  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Be sure to go see the Corn Palace, the World's Biggest Ball of Twine, and the House on the Rock.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Might I suggest you make sure there's nothing in the trunk that might be of interest to certain law enforcement officials?  

I can't, he told me not to look in the trunk.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Be sure to go see the Corn Palace, the World's Biggest Ball of Twine, and the House on the Rock.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't, he told me not to look in the trunk.

Next post from you:

So my Boss got me....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Take the 70!

Everything from NY to Kansas City is nice. Then TRY not to slit your wrists between Kansas City and Denver... THE most BORING FUCKING DRIVE EVER!!! You dont even have to worry really... hit cruise control and if you have good alignment... take a nap... it is 9 hours of straight BORING NOTHINGNESS!!!

Then comes the reward! Denver to California... that is some of the most GORGEOUS countryside we have here in the US. When you get to Utah, bang a left on the 15 and head in to CA. You will clip a 12 mile section of AZ that is just a site to see.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#27]
What kind of Benz?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What kind of Benz?

M Class.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a trap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Take the 70!

Everything from NY to Kansas City is nice. Then TRY not to slit your wrists between Kansas City and Denver... THE most BORING FUCKING DRIVE EVER!!! You dont even have to worry really... hit cruise control and if you have good alignment... take a nap... it is 9 hours of straight BORING NOTHINGNESS!!!

Then comes the reward! Denver to California... that is some of the most GORGEOUS countryside we have here in the US. When you get to Utah, bang a left on the 15 and head in to CA. You will clip a 12 mile section of AZ that is just a site to see.

That would be a better route??  Mapblast has me going through Missouri, OK, TX, etc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of Benz?

M Class.

Sorry dude.  Those are teh suxx0r.  Well, unless its an M55 AMG.  Then it can be interesting.

Next time volunteer to drive his SL65 AMG or SLR McLaren.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Take the 70!

Pfft.  Drive 80 accross Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming.  Thank God for XM radio.  Its a wonder more truckdrivers dont run off the road just for something to do.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of Benz?

M Class.

Sorry dude.  Those are teh suxx0r.  Well, unless its an M55 AMG.  Then it can be interesting.

Next time volunteer to drive his SL65 AMG or SLR McLaren.

As long as it's not a yellow VW bug, I could care less what I drive, as long as it gets me their.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Update in first post.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Ah I see you found our weather appealing!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Fortune has knocked on your door, and you being the wise man that you are you opened it on the first knock.  Good for you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#38]
So what kind of vehicle are you going to choose? Are you going to take the job as driver?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Man that is awesome!!  What kind of industry are you guys in?  I must be doing something wrong!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#40]
WOOT!!! Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#41]
$1 per mile, that aint bad!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
So what kind of vehicle are you going to choose? Are you going to take the job as driver?

Not sure yet, I'm still thinking[:D.]

Is Rosie O'Donnell a fat liberal?

Hell ya!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Man that is awesome!!  What kind of industry are you guys in?  I must be doing something wrong!

He is a real estate developer. I retired from my previous job and now I'm a jack of all trades. About two months ago, a friend asked if I wanted to do security work that pays well. I said yes. This developers new buildings were suffering major losses of heavy construction equipment(he also owns the construction co..). So he wanted me to find out what was going on. I was able to find out his job foremen and his assistant were responsible for the stolen equipment and they happened to be blood relative with the real estate developer. He ended up firing and having them arrested for the stolen property.
I was told he had been talking about getting a driver with a CCW for a while and now it's me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+1

So, uh, does he like guns?  Tell him that you have been eyeing a transferable Mini gun as an anniversary gift.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I do not believe you got off in TX of a 118mph speeding ticket, so everything else you said I also do not believe.

David where the hell do you get off saying things like this(I agree 100Mph and over)is usually recless endangerment!

Don't sound right does it???

Good story though,and remember in Texas ,people just don't let facts get in the way of a good story!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#48]
How did you figure out who took the construction equipment?

Dram
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do not believe you got off in TX of a 118mph speeding ticket, so everything else you said I also do not believe.

David where the hell do you get off saying things like this(I agree 100Mph and over)is usually recless endangerment!

Don't sound right does it???

Good story though,and remember in Texas ,people just don't let facts get in the way of a good story!!!

Bob

and we havent had any snow here in over a week and ahalf, and that was just flurries
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My boss wants to pay me to drive his Mercedes from Bayridge, NY to Palm Springs, CA, all expenses paid. I have never been to most of the states I'll be driving through, so I'm looking forward to the trip. Not much time for sight seeing though, I gotta be their by early Monday.

I made it!  I left on Thursay morning and arrived Sunday at 2PM CA time.  

..................No offense to any other states, but I was most impressed with Texas, AZ and California. While in California, I stayed at the bosses 100 acre "get away" ranch. I stayed until Tuesday and flew back with him, on his private jet, which was real cool. In the end, he ended up giving me $3000.00 for driving the car out and offered me a job to be his driver AND that I get to pick a car/truck of my choice to KEEP. He is flying myself and my wife back to the ranch in March for a party, among the guests, James Galdofini, Edie Falco, Lorraine Bracco, Tony Sirico and a few of the other Sopranos cast.

Overall, the trip was worth it.

[napoleondynamite]LUCKY![napoleondynamite]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top