Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 10:26:30 AM EDT
In all it is quite interesting over here.  Not some place that I would like to live . . . somewhat like Mexico border towns, for those of you who have been there, although Cairo has 17 million+ people.

The most interesting thing is reading Cairo's english newpaper's commentary section regarding recent events such as cartoons, prison abuse, etc.  Egypt is somewhat neutral, since they are essentially allies of the US, but have a majority muslum population. . . Yet they still tend slightly towards the anti-western view.  Oh, and I "get" to watch El Jazeerah here, although I can't understand arabic.

I got to visit the Giza pyramids, and got some amazing photos (and a hell of a blister on my ass from riding the camel).  I also got a sore a-hole from the raping on the price for the camels.

Anyone else here been to Dubai to give some comments?  I've been told that it is one of the most luxurious (expensive) places in the world.  I'll be there tomorrow.

Since I'm stuck over here for work related travel and have no one to talk to, I thought that maybe someone may chime in with their middle-eastern travel experience, advice, or comments.

M.L.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In all it is quite interesting over here.  Not some place that I would like to live . . . somewhat like Mexico border towns, for those of you who have been there, although Cairo has 17 million+ people.

Cairo is a dumpster, not a city.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Cairo is a dumpster, not a city.

You, sir . . . are quite correct.  Every bit of undeveloped desert, is covered with plastic bags and trash.  I even saw a dead, rotting camel on the shoulder of the road.  It must have been dead for at least a week or two because the stench lasted quite a while after driving by.

Good comment.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep........welcome to the Middle East.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A word of advice to you: don't trust anyone overthere. Not a single one of them will think twice about stabbing you in the back. It's the muslim way. All of them are animals. I've been to Lebanon and Syria and enjoy them, but you have to be on your guard. Don't trust anyone, not unless they are a Christian.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A word of advice to you: don't trust anyone overthere. Not a single one of them will think twice about stabbing you in the back. It's the muslim way. All of them are animals. I've been to Lebanon and Syria and enjoy them, but you have to be on your guard. Don't trust anyone, not unless they are a Christian.

Can't trust the Jews or the atheists there either huh?

Edit: If you can/want, goto Israel and get more IDF girl pics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
On the coast of Dubai they are constructing several massive artificial islands to build resorts on. This is a computer graphic of one that is already completed, and several more are under construction, including a seriers of large islands that when completed, wil form an accurate map of the world. These are truly wonders of engineering and construction, and I would love to see them in person. If you get a chance to see them, I would reccomend it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
i'd be interested in seeing some pics of dubai.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Dubai, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are not typical of the middle east, pleasant though they are.

I found that by setting my expectations very,very low I was able to live in places like the KSA with minimal frustation.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have some ineresting pics of what is supposed to be a snow skiing man made mountain in Dubai. If anyone knows how to post them I will email them to them.  I don't have a place to host them set up.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would be interested in their attitude toward you personally once they find out you are American vs. what we see all day on the TV.

Quoted:
I would be interested in their attitude toward you personally once they find out you are American vs. what we see all day on the TV.

Honestly, the average person that I have met is genuinely nice.  Often, in instances where a tip may be expected to be given, people have said "no" by bringing their hands to their heart, meaning that they have done their helpful actions in ernest, rather than for other means.

I see, of course, that the vast majority of people over here are the same as anywhere in the world.  People go to work, value time with their families, etc.

Nothing different than home.

People mostly become more friendly  once they realize that I'm an American.  Of course I'm in one of the more progressive areas of the Middle East / North Africa region, but I suspect that it would not be much different than anywhere else.

The sensationalized media reports apparently act to to sculpt our perceptions of the entire Middle East.

I know that there are undesirables here as much as anywhere in the world though, and I'm not niavely going to let my guard down.

Yep!!  I'm looking forward to Dubai.  Maybe I'll just look at all the Russian prostitutes.

Later,
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have some ineresting pics of what is supposed to be a snow skiing man made mountain in Dubai. If anyone knows how to post them I will email them to them.  I don't have a place to host them set up.  

I also have some photos of that ski slope from a work collegue.  It is an indoor ski slope, which is inside of one of their shopping malls.  It is apparently just accross the street from my company's Dubai office.  I'll probably see it tomorrow.

I was told that there is a 3 Km long marina that they just built there.  You drive your boat in and it's just like a mall, with stores and restrarants on all sides.  The entire 3 km. long marina is tiled on the bottom and sides, just like a swimming pool.

M.L.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
My friend was in Egypt as tourist years ago, and he said the Egyptians do not really like the Americans but they only want their dollars.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i'd be interested in seeing some pics of dubai.

Here you go. I was stationed there about a year ago. I lived in Dubai but worked in the Jabal ali.  Alot of westerners there and alot nicer than Bahrain.

Here is that indoor sking place, it was still under construction.

This is the Burj al Arab. Sorrry i couldnt get a better pic but its pretty far from the road so i had to zoom in.

This is called "Internet City". They had a model in a mall there of what its supposed to look like finished, it was pretty impressive.

This is driving into Dubai from Jebal ali.

Driving thru UAE to the airport in Fujayrah.

Some things to keep in mind in Dubai. While Dubai and most other Emirates are Westernized they have some strange rules. Dont piss of the UAE nationals because they can/will lie and have you thrown in jail.  Its illegal to live with or have a female spend the night with you unless you are married and can produce a certificate proving you are. I didnt know this until after i had left and i didnt have a problem when my Girlfriend spent the night but Americans have been locked up and forced to marry or serve jail time, again the only way you will get caught is if you piss somebody off and they tell.  I dont know if you drink but the only place you can buy alcohol is at bars. However you are allowed to buy a certain ammount at the arrivals duty free in the airport and bring it into the country. Some things you might want to do. The best mall there is called City Center, also the gold market in the mall has cheaper gold than The Gold Souk. You can take a tour of the 7 star hotel but it cost like 20 dollarsr and its about a 25min drive from down town dubai. If you have anymore questions just im me and ill do my best to answer them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Which newspaper have you been reading?
Al-Ahram? (The pyramid)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I've got some advice for you: Don't go on the Camel rides, They get you way out and then demand much more money to get back............................DOH, Never mind, They already got you.

I gave a guy $2 for taking a picture of me with my camera beside his Camel. He insisted on the pic and was not happy with the $2.

The best bargain was the guy that takes your picture at the Pyramid and you get an 8x10 for $5.

The Pyramids were amazing to see, other than that I hated it! I am so amazed at the trashy way these third world countries live. Plus they all drive like a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Two photos of Dubai:

The indoor ski slope and mall:

The world's only 7-star hotel:

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I found the people in Egypt to be friendly when I went.. The women were hot as hell, and were dressed in western clothes.. They all wanted to get married or some deal.

Only thing that was kind of weird was several people wanted to talk to me about Islam, and to convert me.. They were nice about it though, and not any different then someone in the US trying to get you to go to church..

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Bahrain is nice, I was there for a year, I would recomend visiting if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, thanks for keeping me entertained for a while.  I'm heading to bed, since it's 1:00 AM here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I just spent some time in Qatar, and I can say that Doha was quite nice in the developed areas, and it is second to Dubai in that regard (so I have been told anyhow).  

Cities like that make it easy for a Westerner to witness Arab culture but to also be able to stay in Western accomodations so you don't have to feel like you are going to be kidnapped and next thing you know thre are a bunch of masked guys with AKs and a banner standing behind you.

Doha is also where Al Jazeera news is located, but I never felt any more unsafe there than I would in any foreign city, despite the car bombing that occured there around a year ago.  I think one could have a quite similar experiance in Dubai.  Enjoy the beauty that is the Persian Gulf.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep your head squarely on your shoulders.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Pyramids were amazing to see, other than that I hated it! I am so amazed at the trashy way these third world countries live. Plus they all drive like a bunch of idiots.

+1

"Idiots" is the understatement of the year, suicidal maniacs is a better description.  I also got the impression that the Egyptians were utterly lazy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

"Idiots" is the understatement of the year, suicidal maniacs is a better description.  I also got the impression that the Egyptians were utterly lazy.

I dont know if you have ever noticed, but 95% of warm places are shitholes.... Even warm places in Europe, like Italy for example are dirty, crime ridden shitholes compared to say Germany or Norway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top