Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:19:12 AM EDT
for a three day weekend with two good friends.  What should we do, and what should we avoid?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Port of Call
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't there a D-Day museum down there?

Anyone know if it's back open?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
for a three day weekend with two good friends.  What should we do, and what should we avoid?

Avoid New Orleans.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avoid New Orleans.

Well, besides that.  Duh.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Bourbon street is just like going into any " 'ville" outside of a military base in Korea...it smells like urine, and it is fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Well you have to hit up Cafe Du Monde for sure.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Drink hand grenades till you puke, go get a shitty slice of 5$ pizza to sober up then go into one of the titty joints.

After spending 150 bucks, walk back outside and go to a Daiquiri (they aren't what you think, I prefer the 190 octane) shop and get a 32 oz.  Walk around getting bombed while standing outside chain smoking cigarettes in front of buildings playing blues with shitty cover bands.

If you started at noon, it should be 5:00pm by now....  Still have the whole night ahead of you!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Drink hand grenades till you puke, go get a shitty slice of 5$ pizza to sober up then go into one of the titty joints.

After spending 150 bucks, walk back outside and go to a Daiquiri (they aren't what you think, I prefer the 190 octane) shop and get a 32 oz.  Walk around getting bombed while standing outside chain smoking cigarettes in front of buildings playing blues with shitty cover bands.

If you started at noon, it should be 5:00pm by now....  Still have the whole night ahead of you!

I think this is pretty close to what we had in mind.  Also, somebody said something about the Spotted Cat?  Any scoop on that?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Hope your state's CCW reciprocates to LA. D-Day is open. Pretty cool place but the last time I was there was about 5 years ago. Not sure how it is now. Take one of the guided cemetery tours. That was pretty interesting. Also, go eat at Mother's Restaurant. Have your order ready because they will kick you to the back if you are not ready to fire it off. Reminds me of the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. It's interesting to watch them yell at people!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think this is pretty close to what we had in mind.  Also, somebody said something about the Spotted Cat?  Any scoop on that?

If you're into drinking in the quarter, don't forget to stop by Pat O'Briens for a few drinks.  I love that place, it can get a little tourist-ish, but its the quarter...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Went to the D Day WWII museum in July, and it was well worth the time and money.  They had a tour guide that was a Korean War vet that was informative and funny for the few exhibits that I stuck with his tour.  (I had to almost run through the place, I had a plane to catch.)  Budget a good half-day to see the place.

By now they should have the new WWII movie theater operational.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

for a three day weekend with two good friends. What should we do, and what should we avoid?

Answer to both questions is "My ex-girlfriend".

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
The unguided tour of the 9th ward at night is always fun....

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
for a three day weekend with two good friends. What should we do, and what should we avoid?

Answer to both questions is "My ex-girlfriend".

Is she hot? fuck it, I'll be drunk
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.jacquesimoscafe.com/

Go here. You will not be disappointed. Best damn food evah.

These other suggestions are for college kids.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The unguided tour of the 9th ward at night is always fun....  

thats funny!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#18]
lake fronts a nicer place. Auggys and Yagers were a nice place out there.
I havent been there in about 16 yrs so they may be gone by now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Pat O's FTMFW!

And the city of the dead...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Museum of the Confederacy, not too far from the D-Day museum - it's small, but interesting.
The zoo is pretty cool, at least see the swamp exhibit.
The aquarium.
Antoine's is an old style New Orleans restaurant and very good.  Don't miss the oysters Rockefeller.
Mother's for the best po' boys in the world.
Frank's on Decatur St. for the best muffaletta.
Cajun Cabin on Bourbon for Zydeco music.
Original French Market restaurant on Decatur for oysters, crawfish, and Turbo-Dog!
The military museum at Fort Jackson, call first, it was flooded during Katrina and I don't know if it has been repaired.

Laizze la bon temps roule!

Damn, I wish I was there.  

ETA: Lafitte's blacksmith shop on bourbon for a bourbon, what else.
And...  Don't go outside the quarter at night.  Be careful around the edges too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Avoid New Orleans.

x2

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Hit up a bar called the Boondock Saint.  Its about a block or two behind the St. Louis Cathedral and is my favorite bar in the French Quarter.  Its a small place owned by a New Orleans cop and isn't touristy at all.  For food try Maximo's on Decater St. of Tommy's in the Warehouse District, both are some of the best food in town.

ETA  D-Day museum is a must see.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#23]
You will be THE MAN if you can find and get a picture with LOOTIE.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I was at the D-Day museum on June 6th this year. They had just opened up another wing.  Now, another attraction is open in it. So be sure to set aside a half day for the museum.  

Also, the aquarium is world class. You'll be impressed with it. If you have time, try chartering a fishing trip. The Speckled trout are starting to turn on here.  Try a swamp tour also.   There's alot more to do down here in south Louisiana than to just get fucked up in the quarter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You will be THE MAN if you can find and get a picture with LOOTIE.

Im going to assume that from your join date you are new here, but a pic with Lootie has already been done by a member here.

Some will dispute that claim, however.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Watch your back ALL THE TIME! Why would anyone want to go there?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#27]
central grocery for THE BEST muffaletta!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avoid New Orleans.

This
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Avoid New Orleans.

This

my former company had a nat'l sales meeting in NOLA a few years back for over 2000 of us and they hired 70+ personal security guards also...

i was told the company got a nice tax break to hold meetings there and btw, the airport looks like some 3rd world shithole...sorry to say

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top