Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:10:29 AM EDT
Soooo for my 30th birthday my wife is taking me to NYC! I have never been and looking forward to the museums etc. I already have tickets to two shows, Spamalot, with Hank Azaria(sp) and Tim Currie, and Dirt Rotten Scoundrals with John Lithgow(sp). I might get to see a one man show of Star Wars too (BITCHIN).

Anyway, besides MOMA, the Met, etc etc, anyone got some recommendations on what to check out? I plan on being there about a week, and we have use of a family friends apartment.

PS - what are the laws there, I cant even card a 4" fixed blade knife in my pocket, can I?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Where you staying (in Manhattan, I presume)?  It's such a big place.  Midtown?  Lower East?  Village?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
That I dont know. I think on 9th st somewheres - but I realize that could be anywhere....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Muse. of Natural History
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I use to think NYC was the shit...until I started working down there regularly.
It drains me to death now and I avoid it like the plague.
I'll take fresh air and mountains over the sensory onslaught of Times Square any day!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
statue of liberty, st pats cathedral, empire state bldg, wtc hole, union station, central park, take your wife shopping in soho, lower east side tenement museum, little italy...hey, check this book out! the author works on local radio here and givespretty good tips on metro dc/nova stuff!

www.amazon.com/gp/product/1550223747/ref=sib_rdr_dp/102-6136377-6926510?%5Fencoding=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&no=283155&st=books&n=283155

i envy you getting to see TWO great shows there!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Muse. of Natural History

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Look out for this guy:

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That I dont know. I think on 9th st somewheres - but I realize that could be anywhere....

9th st is pretty good all of the way across town.  I used to live on 7th st and ave B (east village) and LOVED it.  it was great walking out of my apt and being within 2 blocks of everywhere i wanted to go
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Try to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and see the arms and armor collection.  Rest of the place is worthwhile but the A&A alone is worth the visit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#10]
If it wasn't so cold I would suggest the boat tour around Manhattan. The 90 minute one not the longer one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Carry a street map and a subway map the first day, You will look like a dork but it'll take at least a day to get Manhattan laid out in your head..being from Oklahoma we stared at everything like a doofus the first time I went...My wife asked an NYPD for directions to Rockefeller Plaza..when he started giving her directions sounding like Rocky Balboa she cracked up laughing because she hadn't ever heard anyone actually speak like that except on "the Sopranos"
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
When are you coming?  its fucking cold right now and thats no fun in a city made for walking...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone needs to go to NY City once...and once only.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When are you coming?  its fucking cold right now and thats no fun in a city made for walking...

[LewisBlack] "NY was so fucking cold I couldnt complete ONE fucking thought in my head... I was waiting for the bus one day thinking 'I think tomorrow I'm gonna go t...FUCK! ITS SO FUCKING COLD OUT'"[/LewisBlack]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]
4" knife is too long, 3 7/8" is ok, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Intrepid Air and Space Museum

www.intrepidmuseum.org/
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Mulberry Street
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Intrepid Air and Space Museum

www.intrepidmuseum.org/

+1, I was there on opening day and so much has been added since. I need to see it again.
Pilgrimage to ground zero
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Bring earplugs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mulberry Street

Spring and Mulberry  LAMELLA's

best food around...make sure you ask for family style

If your in to bars and stuff, head down to Bleeker and MacDougal
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the advice guys - any more tips??
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you have the time it is amusing to go to 'F.A.O. Schwarz' (the toy store).  Someone can chime with exact location.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have the time it is amusing to go to 'F.A.O. Schwarz' (the toy store).  Someone can chime with exact location.

I heard F.A.O Schwartz filed for bankruptcy. Makes sense cause all their shit is grossly overpriced
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Skip the shows, street crime is free to watch and you may even get to be a part of that show.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Skip the shows, street crime is free to watch and you may even get to be a part of that show.

Sorry, you'll be disappointed.  Very safe feeling nowadays.  Much more likely to see a bike messenger get squashed, or a pedestrian struck than a violent crime.

There is so much to do here, it will fill your schedule very quickly.  The tree at Rockfeller Center is always good, a carraige ride thru Central Park, the Double Decker bus tour, Greenwich Village, museums of every type, Times square, Little Italy, China Town, the list is endless

Check out nyc tourism

If you have the time, and are motivated, and have access to a car, one of my favorite things at this time of the year (you have until just after new years) is to go to the bronx zoo for the holiday lights display, one of the largest in the world.  It opens every night after 5:30, and it is astounding.  To be in a major zoo after dark is cool in and of itself, but the displays will blow your mind.  let me know if you want details.

I carry a cold steel recon one folder, never had a problem.  There is no specific size restriction, but rather a "dangerous" something or other law, the lawyer types in the NY HTF will give you more info if you post over there.

Plan on dressing warm, and walking alot.

Have fun

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard F.A.O Schwartz filed for bankruptcy. Makes sense cause all their shit is grossly overpriced

FAO is on the corner of 5th ave at 58th street.  They went bankrupt last year, re-organized, and reopened a few months ago after a full gut renovation.  IMHO the old FAO was cooler, but it is still a damn impressive toy store, now with an overpriced cafe and candy store to go with the expensive toys.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
NYC is a fun place to visit and is actually pretty safe for big city. I'd rather walk around Manhattan after midnight than downtown Cincinnati after 8:00pm.

Follow basic city safety rules:
- stay in well lit public places with lots of people
- don't stay out past midnight
- avoid dark streets and alleys
- watch people and your surroundings
- be friendly but suspicious

I've been there twice and loved it both times.  I'm sure I'll go back again.  

Last thing remember you're visiting a foreign country. NYC is not part of America it's a "world city". As a native born America (I'm assuming this) you are a minority.  Of all the waiters, clerks, etc we met on the last trip only one was born in the USA. But like anywhere else if you're friendly and polite most people will be nice to you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, you'll be disappointed.  Very safe feeling nowadays.  Much more likely to see a bike messenger get squashed, or a pedestrian struck than a violent crime.

There is so much to do here, it will fill your schedule very quickly.  The tree at Rockfeller Center is always good, a carraige ride thru Central Park, the Double Decker bus tour, Greenwich Village, museums of every type, Times square, Little Italy, China Town, the list is endless

Check out nyc tourism

If you have the time, and are motivated, and have access to a car, one of my favorite things at this time of the year (you have until just after new years) is to go to the bronx zoo for the holiday lights display, one of the largest in the world.  It opens every night after 5:30, and it is astounding.  To be in a major zoo after dark is cool in and of itself, but the displays will blow your mind.  let me know if you want details.

I carry a cold steel recon one folder, never had a problem.  There is no specific size restriction, but rather a "dangerous" something or other law, the lawyer types in the NY HTF will give you more info if you post over there.

Plan on dressing warm, and walking alot.

Have fun

I was being sarcastic, that was a line from Gremlins 2, when the talking Gremlin was saying that they could not get into the Brodway shows, but street crime was free to watch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]
If you enjoy sports, get to something at the Gardens.  NY fans are something to experience, even if you don't like the teams (too bad baseballs out because Yankee stadium is extremely cool even for non-fans like me, but there's still Rangers and basketball).

ETA:  NY pizza is good just about anywhere.  Turn a corner, see a pizza place, it's probably good.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
NY pizza is good just about anywhere.  Turn a corner, see a pizza place, it's probably good.  

nevermind I reread it
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
if you  have access to a car, the Tappan Zee bridge is a trip to drive across and just north of Tarrytown is Ossining, location of Sing-Sing prison. Around Tarrytown [yuppieville] is the location of the Headless Horsemans ride in that halloween story by Washington Irving. When i worked at sing-sing i used to catch the metro north commuter train and go hang out in manhattan for half a day. Lord and Tayler store has awesome window Christmas scenes, Macy's has a super neat toy dept, but take in rockefellor center to see the tree and skating rink. Broadway i think is RT. 9 which goes north thru all those towns and thru Ossining, the prison is down along the river. If you take the metro north  up to Ossining, you go right thru the middle of the prison.  The old death house is in the south western corner [brick building] over 400 executions took place there.it's now an acedemic school building. The old James cagney movie from 1939 "Angels with Dirty Faces" was filmed at sing-sing. i caught New years Eve at Times Square opne year, now thats the 8th wonder of the world!!!! Good god Alimghty!!!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Soooo for my 30th birthday my wife is taking me to NYC! I have never been and looking forward to the museums etc. I already have tickets to two shows, Spamalot, with Hank Azaria(sp) and Tim Currie, and Dirt Rotten Scoundrals with John Lithgow(sp). I might get to see a one man show of Star Wars too (BITCHIN).

Anyway, besides MOMA, the Met, etc etc, anyone got some recommendations on what to check out? I plan on being there about a week, and we have use of a family friends apartment.

PS - what are the laws there, I cant even card a 4" fixed blade knife in my pocket, can I?

First, you need to see the Intrepid Sea Air Museum. They have a great 9-11 memorial section...its unbelievable.

Also, make sure you know how you are getting to a place BEFORE you start walking there. The last things you want happening is either getting lost in the NYC subway system or having a taxi driver taking you for a ride.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Don't worry, they are going to ban hollow points....you will be perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Visit the Beretta Gallery.

No ARs but all grades of Berettas including 60k customs.

Also Holland and Holland is a worthwhile trip.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was being sarcastic, that was a line from Gremlins 2, when the talking Gremlin was saying that they could not get into the Brodway shows, but street crime was free to watch.

Since I haven't seen a non-animated movie since forever, that reference went right over my head
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top