Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 4:25:19 AM EDT
I'm going to Dallas for five days next week for a work project and I'm worried. I'm worried that I will be away from home and I'm worried that it may become difficult to get back should things get worse. I'm flying in and out  so that means I'll be unarmed when I get there.  The issue of course is NOT  the fine city of Dallas, but  the fact that if something should happne to fuel delivery / hurricane relief / refugee riots / having to walk  back to Illinois or whatever; I'll be alone and unarmed and far away from everything I've prepared for an emergency.

Somebody tell me I'm worried for no good reason. efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Bring a bug out bag and plenty of CASH.

Keep your eyes and ears open for trouble.

You could fly with a gun if you want.   You can also just buy a long gun if things start looking dicey

Best you can do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You could fly with a gun if you want.   You can also just buy a long gun if things start looking dicey

Best you can do.

Cash is always goodhat
efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But what to put in the BOB?

efxguy

Well, what are the scenarios?   Might have to rent a car and drive it.   Might have to hike out of an area to a safe zone.

Some food, water, a compass, a map, sunblock, hiking clothes, good shoes and socks, matches, a good light and batteries, a knife, sunglasses, energy bars,

that should get you a couple days walking distance
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Well, what are the scenarios?   Might have to rent a car and drive it.   Might have to hike out of an area to a safe zone.

Some food, water, a compass, a map, sunblock, hiking clothes, good shoes and socks, matches, a good light and batteries, a knife, sunglasses, energy bars,

that should get you a couple days walking distance

I normally have that stuff with me when i travel, as well a two one liter bottles of water. That all (but for the knife nowadaysh
I suppose I could buy a handgun locally if I really feel the need. Yup a new .45, I might just feel the need anyway....hanks
efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I would tell the boss I have a stomach flu or fell off a ladder or some such thing over the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would tell the boss I have a stomach flu or fell off a ladder or some such thing over the weekend.

No chance, I'm my boss and I'd never believe that line. efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in the far north DFW area.  IM me for contact info in case you need local help.  I am sure any of the DFW crew would help out a fellow arfcommer (post this in the TX forum).
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am in the far north DFW area.  IM me for contact info in case you need local help.  I am sure any of the DFW crew would help out a fellow arfcommer (post this in the TX forum).

+1

My ETA getting back from Dove hunting is ~Monday
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
You must get to the Lodge if your in Dallas,  a  trip up to the VIP Lounge is even better.

If the SHTF go there  with cash, they will take care of you.

Your worried for no good reason.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#10]
What is the Lodge, Woodbutcher? Is it better that the Hooters event you missed?

Going to a strip bar is like looking at NFA weapons in Illinois. You ain't getting some no matter what.hanks,

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Ask  ETH.  If you need a lawyer , remember this always,   You get the lawyer out of jail, then he can get rest out of jail.   It sounded better when he says it though.  

Never had to find out , but I would sure trust him on it.

And yes, better than a Hooters.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Dallas is a pretty big city with a lot of conservative well armed people.  I would bring my ccw with me if it were me going but not be overly worried.  Look at the difference between Dallas and NO morally and socially.  You'll be fine.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
You are worried for no good reason,
Everything will be good in Dallas, or at least as good as it ever is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#14]
there is a big enough DFW contingent here that you won't have to worry about being a stranger in a strange land should bad things happen.  IM if you need.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best you can do.

Cash is always good

But what to put in the BOB?

efxguy

Head over to the Survival forum.  They have several threads on them right now.  Asking what to put in your BOB is like trying to decide what to put on your AR.  Just a suggestion.

jim
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in East Texas very near the Louisiana border.  I stopped and got gas this morning (2.84/gallon), got some water and kolaches, went to the bank (no waiting), came into work, talked to a customer about a hot tub, and now I'm posting on the internet.  We are 6 hours away from NO and things are no different than any other day.  Relax, enjoy yourself in Dallas, it's all as good as it ever was.Spa King
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#17]
GREAT!

OK, so now I'm hijacking my own thread! hat
efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm going to Dallas... I'll be alone and unarmed

No one should ever be unarmed in Texas.  With our great laws, there's just no damn reason to be.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm going to Dallas... I'll be alone and unarmed

No one should ever be unarmed in Texas.  With our great laws, there's just no damn reason to be.

Yup. How about loaning to me a nice compact 45? I'll bring my own holster.....efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No chance, I'm my boss and I'd never believe that line.

efxguy

OUCH that hurts, can't B.S. that guy can ya
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got back from FL.  I always fly with a gun.  I topped the rental car off every evening.

Be even more aware of your surroundings than before.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Per VCDL Texas just recognized Virginia CCW!

wOOt!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#23]
NO CCW in ILLinois, so no reciprocity. efxguy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Dallas doesn't come close to being like NOLA. I think the only thing you really need is money. I would check out the West End, and Sonny Bryan's BBQ and get the hickory smoked pork ribs. And down the street is the 6th Street Museum that house momentos from the '62 JFK Assasination.

The Dallas PD is way more competent than the NOLA PD.

Also check out the Dallas Morning New at www.dallasnews.com
The front story at the moment:

Dallas makes desperate plea for help

MELANIE BURFORD/DMN
Pamela Harris, center, the volunteer coordinator for Red Cross at Reunion Arena, asks for patience as the first Hurricane Katrina refugees arrived.Dallas City Officials made a desperate plea for help Saturday morning, saying that, within hours, they will have far more Hurricane Katrina evacuees than they can possibly manage. Officials in Mesquite, overwhelmed with hurricane survivors, said they could no longer handle the busloads and was shutting down. Dallas police scrambled to set up a new area, and as of 11 a.m., said it would likely be near the Convention Center. In New Orleans, evacuations resumed after an overnight disruption as authorities diverted buses to help some 25,000 refugees at the New Orleans Convention Center, where officials said people had been waiting longer.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody that would try to tell you that the big D is all sweetness and light is doing you a disservice. I happen to live in the single most beautiful spot in Dallas. It's "Dry" here but approx. 1/2 mi. away liquor is sold. There should be a sign there that say's: The shit starts here. This area is currently included in a serial rapist watch zone. Punching up the DPS sex offender database for this zip code shows many of those sick fucks here. Dallas is rated number one in the country for many crime statistics.
I have a CCW recognized in Texas and carry daily. One of my work assignments includes the Salvation Army facility on Harry Hines ave. I know a few things about the shit-birds that walk the streets of Dallas, and the libtards that want to build a homeless shelter downtown.
You could very well enjoy an eventless visit to Dallas, but it is just another big city like any other. IM and/or e-mail me if I can be of any help while you are here in Dallas. Ray
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I too live here in Dallas/Ft.worth and if you need asistance just PM  But there is nothing happening here..except for busing N.O. victims in here and there , its just another ol week here... so I wouldnt be too worried
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dallas doesn't come close to being like NOLA. I think the only thing you really need is money. I would check out the West End, and Sonny Bryan's BBQ and get the hickory smoked pork ribs. And down the street is the 6th Street Museum that house momentos from the '62 JFK Assasination.

MELANIE BURFORD/DMN
Pamela Harris, center, the volunteer coordinator for Red Cross at Reunion Arena, asks for patience as the first Hurricane Katrina refugees arrived.Dallas City Officials made a desperate plea for help Saturday morning, saying that, within hours, they will have far more Hurricane Katrina evacuees than they can possibly manage. Officials in Mesquite, overwhelmed with hurricane survivors, said they could no longer handle the busloads and was shutting down. Dallas police scrambled to set up a new area, and as of 11 a.m., said it would likely be near the Convention Center. In New Orleans, evacuations resumed after an overnight disruption as authorities diverted buses to help some 25,000 refugees at the New Orleans Convention Center, where officials said people had been waiting longer.

The West End is within walking distance of the evacuees' new home, Reunion Arena.  I'd wait until the evacuee situation sorts itself out before heading down there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MELANIE BURFORD/DMN

The West End is within walking distance of the evacuees' new home, Reunion Arena.  I'd wait until the evacuee situation sorts itself out before heading down there.

Yeah, I know I did it myself. Walk down from the Hampton Inn on Elm & Main to the gun show they were having down in there.  I've walked the West End many times, and at weekend nights there is a fairly heavy contingent of Dallas PD. Beside the merchants would stand for all of the riff-raft after working so hard to turn it into thee premier night spot and eatery in Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
NO CCW in ILLinois, so no reciprocity.

Ever.

efxguy

Yeah, but isn't a FL permit good in TX.  And for that matter, a VA permit is good in TX now, and VA and FL offer non-resident permits.  Can you legally exit and enter IL with a gun?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a great trip, no problems. A few weird moments at the hotel in the West End, but otherwise a very productive trip and I left happy clients.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
just flew from san diego to dallas and back 9-2 to 9-5, carried via air cargo,
remington 870
4 1911pistols
10 mags, loaded
300 rds of ammo
8" blade knife
2 pocket knives
a bug out bag full of gooddies
as i was heading to the NO area to search and rescue my to aged parents
got no grief from anyone in waht i was carrying..
just had to go thru travel security, checked in 2.5 hours before flights, and allwent smooth..
guns were in a locked case, unloaded, loaded mags were in same case,
ammo was in orginal cartons and magazines in my large suitcase,
BOB was loaded and ready to carry if needed to walk in/out to my folks place..
that is all...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife and I drove through DFW a few days ago.  No particular problems.  The uisual big city stuff.  I would say that you should have your hotel all lined up.  Most seemed full, and we wound up staying in Arlington.  They're putting up a lot of the evacuees in the hotels, so it stands to reason it will be tight.

I was carrying my usual pistol.  Never felt a need for it.  

Gas was OK; high price,  but there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#34]
There's plenty of us from the DFW crew who'll help you out if something happens, which it almost certaintly won't.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NO CCW in ILLinois, so no reciprocity.

Ever.

efxguy

Yeah, but isn't a FL permit good in TX.  And for that matter, a VA permit is good in TX now, and VA and FL offer non-resident permits.  Can you legally exit and enter IL with a gun?

TX will happily issue an IL resident an "out of state" permit...

But the FL permit is definately the way to go.

Dallas can be fine, it can also be a shit hole.  Just watch your 6 and don't do stupid stuff, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There's plenty of us from the DFW crew who'll help you out if something happens, which it almost certaintly won't.

Exactly. If the SHTF and you need to get back to IL, I'll happily drive you the Red River (the Oklahoma state line). One of the ARFCOM Okies will probably be willing to help you from there.

No gun? Relax, amigo. Everyone that flies into DFW gets a chit after you get off the plane, that's redeemable for a pistol at the taxi stand outside the airport. You're gonna love Texas!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. If the SHTF and you need to get back to IL, I'll happily drive you the Red River (the Oklahoma state line). One of the ARFCOM Okies will probably be willing to help you from there.

No gun? Relax, amigo. Everyone that flies into DFW gets a chit after you get off the plane, that's redeemable for a pistol at the taxi stand outside the airport. You're gonna love Texas!

I gotta move to Texas!

Man, Illinois sucks for gun owners.

Talking to some of my production assistans on the job in Dallas, they were very puzzled by the fact that there is no CCW in Illinois

I did love it there though....

efxguy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#38]
After seeing the trim in DFW, you won't ever want to leave
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
After seeing the trim in DFW, you won't ever want to leave

Dang!!! No kidding!

Half the women on this job were just so damn hot, even the older ones....

They called me: honey, sweetie and dear.

Man, they made my day.

efxguy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top