Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/20/2006 3:38:24 PM EDT
I just finished reading the cover story in this month's SWAT, which was titled "Patrol Rifles: Alternatives to the AR-15". It convinced me that there are several equally effective weapons out there that police cnuse as partol rifles without having to have an AR-15. The police could easily get by with pump action shotguns, lever action 30-30's and maybe a bolt action deer rifle here and there. Why does a police officer really need to have a semi-automatic killing machine with high capacity magazines when he's on duty?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
they dont need them.  in fact I am in favor of giving them nothing more than recurve bows
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they dont need them.  in fact I am in favor of giving them nothing more than blunt pointy sticks

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
owned
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The police shouldn't have guns period.  Violence only begets more violence.  If the police members would just talk to criminals, and explain why they need to spend the next 20 years of their life dodging anal rape in the shower, I'm sure we could reach an accomodation with the criminals.  Plus, if police have guns they're more likely to be taken away and used against them, or stolen from their homes and sold on the black market.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Uhm...I can name a few times a reliable, lightweight, accurate rifle in an intermediate caliber would come in very handy.  Any time when dealing with an armed, dangeous assailant.  If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd take a rifle, and I wouldn't take any substitutes.  Rifles are for fighting, and handguns are for fighting your way to a rifle.  The shootout in CA at that bank where those two guys were clad in body armor and armed with illegal FA AK's, they were stopped by ar-15 rifles "borrowed" from a gun store.  Now, please tell me why a patrol car shouldn't be able to stop someone who is wearing body armor?  Shottys and hanguns don't and won't penetrate body armor, rifles will.  

Oh, and if you think that AR-15 is a semi-auto killing machine, then you need to find yourself another forum to go about hating on people that risk their lives for you (at least the ones doing a good job...don't discredit them becasue of a few bad ones).  

Also, ask yourself, if you knew you were going to be in a gunfight, what would you bring?  A cute n cuddly teddy bear to try to make the BG happy, or would you bring the most devistating weapon that you could?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
They should only be aloud to have squirt guns full of tabasco sauce!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
alternatives to AR?

Thugs just need hugs!!

ok maybe a M1A1 308 shortie
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Uhm...I can name a few times a reliable, lightweight, accurate rifle in an intermediate caliber would come in very handy.  Any time when dealing with an armed, dangeous assailant.  If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd take a rifle, and I wouldn't take any substitutes.  Rifles are for fighting, and handguns are for fighting your way to a rifle.  The shootout in CA at that bank where those two guys were clad in body armor and armed with illegal FA AK's, they were stopped by ar-15 rifles "borrowed" from a gun store.  Now, please tell me why a patrol car shouldn't be able to stop someone who is wearing body armor?  Shottys and hanguns don't and won't penetrate body armor, rifles will.  

Oh, and if you think that AR-15 is a semi-auto killing machine, then you need to find yourself another forum to go about hating on people that risk their lives for you (at least the ones doing a good job...don't discredit them becasue of a few bad ones).  

Also, ask yourself, if you knew you were going to be in a gunfight, what would you bring?  A cute n cuddly teddy bear to try to make the BG happy, or would you bring the most devistating weapon that you could?

hook
line
and
sinker
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
They shoot themselves with their own pistols. Imagine what damage they could do with an AUTOMATIC WEAPON. Officer Bill shows up and entire neighborhoods evacuate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank God that the police didn't have Ar15's
at the onset of the North Hollywood shootout.
It might have ended right away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

if they had lever action .30-30s or bolt action .30-06 rifles they would have "ended it the right way" just as easily.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
You could have a stick that was blunt on one end and pointy on the other... aka "a spear."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Ban them for the sake of puppies everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if they had lever action .30-30s or bolt action .30-06 rifles they would have "ended it the right way" just as easily.

No.  Those are too dangerous as well because they can penetrate bulletproof vests.  They could mistake Sean Puffy P. Diddly Diddy Combs for a common criminal and shoot right through his body armor with their assault manually operated weapons, therefore depriving us of his lyrical genius.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  Those are too dangerous as well because they can penetrate bulletproof vests.  They could mistake Sean Puffy P. Diddly Diddy for a common criminal and shoot right through his body armor with their assault manually operated weapons, therefore depriving us of his lyrical genius.  

I wouldnt worry too much, most cops are crappy shots anyway
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Why does a police officer really need to have a semi-automatic killing machine with high capacity magazines when he's on duty?

DUDE !!!!!!!!!!

Might as well take their high capacity killing machine semi auto pistols too !!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Oh, and if you think that AR-15 is a semi-auto killing machine, then you need to find yourself another forum to go about hating on  being disrespectful to people that risk their lives for you (at least the ones doing a good job...don't discredit them becasue of a few bad ones).  

fixed it for you.

good point, a rifle is superior to a handgun for fighting in general.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  Those are too dangerous as well because they can penetrate bulletproof vests.  They could mistake Sean Puffy P. Diddly Diddy for a common criminal and shoot right through his body armor with their assault manually operated weapons, therefore depriving us of his lyrical genius.  

I wouldnt worry too much, most cops are crappy shots anyway

But that just means they'll kill innocent bystanders like Snoopy Doggity Dog and Fiddy Cent.  I'm especially worried about Snoop, Cops seem to be able to hit dogs.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer to throw rocks when I'm on duty.  I have a super tactical RBV (rock bearing vest) that's just full of pouches that I can fill with 250 grain BTHP stones.  I've really been practicing and I'm down to around 10 MOA at 50 yards!!!!!!

I usually don't even bring a gun to work anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#24]
those poor doggies
imagine the over penetration
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
those poor doggies
imagine the over penetration

Yep, one shot could theoretically kill both Snoppy Doggity Dog and Nate Dawg.  Imagine the pain this would cause Warren G.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
They shoot themselves with their own pistols. Imagine what damage they could do with an AUTOMATIC WEAPON. Officer Bill shows up and entire neighborhoods evacuate.

Like that one video with about fifteen cops firing over a hundred rounds at a motionless vehicle with a drunk inside and hitting everything including themselves and several houses? And not even killing the guy they were shooting at?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:

if they had lever action .30-30s or bolt action .30-06 rifles they would have "ended it the right way" just as easily.[/quote

This is true.
Going up against FA-armed suspects with
a manually operated firearm is a little too
suicidal for my tastes. And I do recoginze the
ironic twist this thread as assumed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do the cops need to be issued AR-15s when they can go rob any gunstore and take what they need at will?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does a police officer really need to have a semi-automatic killing machine with high capacity magazines when he's on duty?

DUDE !!!!!!!!!!

Might as well take their high capacity killing machine semi auto pistols too !!!

Now we're makin' some progress here!

Lever action Winchesters and maybe Colt revolvers. That's all that John Wayne ever needed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Read the article too.  Happy with my AR.  I'm still puzzled how/why people think this way.  Never heard of a cop dumping a 30 round mag, never.  

edit to add...don't need an AR to be a "killing machine"!

Quoted:
I just finished reading the cover story in this month's SWAT, which was titled "Patrol Rifles: Alternatives to the AR-15". It convinced me that there are several equally effective weapons out there that police cnuse as partol rifles without having to have an AR-15. The police could easily get by with pump action shotguns, lever action 30-30's and maybe a bolt action deer rifle here and there. Why does a police officer really need to have a semi-automatic killing machine with high capacity magazines when he's on duty?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Why do cops need cars? What was wrong with horses?

Remember when a dime bag cost a dime, and a meat wagon was actually a WAGON?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah cause you can file the sears down on those guns and make them machineguns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I just turned mt car in.  Bought myself a shetland pony for vehicle pursuits.  Gets much better gas mileage and I don't have to worry about the media hounding me about driving through playgrounds at 237 MPH chasing people who aren't wearing a seatbelt.  My throat is kinda sore from making siren noises though, anyone know how to make a pony scream?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I just turned mt car in.  Bought myself a shetland pony for vehicle pursuits.  Gets much better gas mileage and I don't have to worry about the media hounding me about driving through playgrounds at 237 MPH chasing people who aren't wearing a seatbelt.  My throat is kinda sore from making siren noises though, anyone know how to make a pony scream?

get a cat and swing it by its tail, just be sure to get a declawed model
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn!!!!  Why didn't I think of that.

I'll be back...I think the humane society is still open
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Damn!!!!  Why didn't I think of that.

I'll be back...I think the humane society is still open

dont you have neighbors? hold someone's dog at spearpoint and make them find a cat
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Seriously why wouldnt a Storm Carbine work for patrol work?

Same mags as a lot of departments and probably cheaper than a AR.

Would also force beretta to make mag well sleaves for other hand gun's mags...HK, Glock etc
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Are you joking?!?!?!  I'm a JBT for cryin out loud!!!!  You think I haven't shot all of the dogs in my neighborhood already?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Stop it already!!!!
My gut hurts!!!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You're new here, aren't you?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#42]
They certainly don't need select-fire though.  Seems a lot of regular police officers are getting select-fire M4s, and that's totally ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The police shouldn't have guns period.  Violence only begets more violence.  If the police members would just talk to criminals, and explain why they need to spend the next 20 years of their life dodging anal rape in the shower, I'm sure we could reach an accomodation with the criminals.  Plus, if police have guns they're more likely to be taken away and used against them, or stolen from their homes and sold on the black market.

LOL
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Cops don't need AR-15's.
These day's the need AR-10's!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#45]
knock it off you guy are KILLING me!!!!    

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#46]
THE SARCASM IS THICK. God I hope the poster of this thread was tryin to be sarcastic. "VEST Punchers "are gonna be needed from now on in police work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
THE SARCASM IS THICK. God I hope the poster of this thread was tryin to be sarcastic. "VEST Punchers "are gonna be needed from now on in police work.

or maybe cops should just learn to shoot
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yes absolutely
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or develop a sense of humor while reading this thread.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or develop a sense of humor while reading this thread.  Sheesh.

[Luke Skywalker] You ask the impossible. [/Luke Skywalker]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top