Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2012 9:23:19 PM EDT
I have a friend who is from Chengdu China a little city of some 14,000,000 people give or take. Her mother visited recently and I happened to be over one evening while her mom was cooking some sort of soup. I'm Cajun and love to cook, and whatever she was making smelled and look awesome. So she offered it to me... I took one bite and fell in love, she made another bowl because I wasn't about to give it up. They called it Chili Oil soup.

Her mom left and then the only time I would ever get it was if i asked my friend to make it. One day she was over visiting my wife and asked her husband and I to go to the store and buy Chinese chili's and some vegetable oil. She then proceeded to roast the chilis and then make chili oil for me and showed me how to make the soup.

It's really simple. In one pot boil your noodles (Chinese Egg Noodles) and in another pot heat up some chicken or beef stock, the canned kind. You can add whatever you want at this point. I usually do some variation of onion, cabbage, garlic, ground meat, or meat balls (the kind you get in the frozen section at Sam's Club)

It a Chinese style bowl I put about 10 tsps of soy sauce, 1 tsp seasame seed oil,rice vinegar 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp of sugar, and 2 tsps of chili oil... also I add fresh chopped green onion and fresh chopped garlic. When the noodles are done I throw them in the bowl and toss... then add the broth and meatballs.

Here's what you end up with.

It's got an awesome nutty flavour from the roasted chili pepper oil... I eat this about 3 times a week... It's pretty dang spicy and talk about clear your sinuses.

I'm addicted to Chili Oil Soup...

- Clint

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:26:46 PM EDT
Yeah, that's a snack they have.  It's usually called hot pot cooking.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:27:44 PM EDT
Sounds kinda like Bun Bo Hue
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:28:38 PM EDT
Yeah, I love hot pot too... it's the same chili oil. Stuff is awesome.

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:30:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ragin_Cajun:

I love Pho too...

- Clint

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:38:26 PM EDT
WOULD NOM!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:41:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:
Originally Posted By Ragin_Cajun:

I love Pho too...

- Clint

PHO TIME!!  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:55:55 PM EDT
Hmmm...

Looks like win, but it's got those funny spoons so I'm reserving judgement.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:19:23 PM EDT
That's the only one I own... It's my Chili Oil Soup spoon

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:45:48 AM EDT
Find a place that has Sichuan Hot Pot. You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:59:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/4/2012 3:04:10 AM EDT by Agrippa]
Man, the wiki pic of that soup reminds me of the morning after a night of hard drinking and unhealthy food...

ETA:  Those spoons may look funny, but are great for a cheap camping utensil for soups/stews, got a steel one in the backpack and BOB.

Top Top