Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2008 7:25:27 PM EDT
I've had the flu for about 7 days now all the standard stuff. Plugged sinus, head ache, fever, dry cough and vomiting. Few days ago my fever broke, my sinuses started draining and my cough has almost disappeared. One problem I haven't been able to eat anything the last 7 days. Its all I can do to choke down a small bowl of oatmeal and maybe a small bowl of broth in a day. I have no desire to eat, my stomach isn't growling or anything. Another thing is I'm so damn dehydrated it looks like I'm pissing sunny delight. I'm putting away the water about as fast as my stomach can handle it and still not catching up. I really don't feel that bad just a bad stomach and dehydrated so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting re hydrated and perhaps getting my hunger back? Thank you
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Gatorade, try eating crackers as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
i work @ a major hospital.........and i drink alot, so from my experience, continue to drink alot of water for the obvious reasons. your hunger should come w/ it....its probably still not back b/c you've felt so bad, but give it time. that or you are OVERHYDRATING yourself, which your body my have turned off the HUNGER button.

what drugs are you taking?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
your doomed, dibs on guns etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
IBTMMP (In before the medical marijuana peeps).
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel for you, CDC says this is a bad flu season.

Gatorade or some such can help with the dehydration.  Some folks swear by PediaLyte, an electrolyte solution for kids.  Get it at the drug store.  I don't care for the taste.

As for appetite, hmmm.  Frozen fruit works for me when I'm sick.  Peaches, mangoes.  Eat 'em frozen.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Try drinking chilled Pedialyte or similar drink, they're intended to rehydrate well. Yes, they're marketed for kids, but damn if they didn't work like a charm for me last time I had a stomach virus. Goal is not just water replacement but maintaining a good electrolyte balance too. Although It probably won't happen, it'd be bad to get too-low sodium or potassium in addition to the flu.

Tylenol to keep the fever down. No alcohol, that'll just dehydrate you worse and can cause liver problems if you're taking tylenol.

Eat what you can handle, but avoid fatty or spicy foods.

If the cough gets painful, try Ricola original formula cough drops. They taste weird at first but you get used to them, and they work (at least for me) much better than Halls. Let them dissolve, don't crunch them like candy.

Finally, if it persists for more than a few more days, see a doc, it might not just be flu. Edit: also, if you really can't keep yourself hydrated, you might want to see a doc. Dehydration can be dangerous, and if they really, really need to, they can keep you hydrated through your arms instead of your mouth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried the cracker thing but I have worse dry mouth then cheech and chong. Right now the only Med's I'm taking is day and nyquill with some vitamins as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So Pedialyte is the best according to everyone I will pick some up tomorrow when I get off of work. Any advice on the stomache should I take pepto or something?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats... yer preggers. The desire to eat will come back, almost exaggerated...  and you will know what the right thing to do for everyone in every situation is.

Ok... I'm done  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I tried the cracker thing but I have worse dry mouth then cheech and chong. Right now the only Med's I'm taking is day and nyquill with some vitamins as well.

Nyquill used to be something like 50 proof, don't know if that is still true.  Alcohol of course, is a diuretic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Lukewarm cup o soup

Worked for me

ZM
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]
if you've been fairly symptom free for 7days other than the ZERO hungar thing, then you definately need to go see a doc. if you are drinking that much water, you shouldn't have any 'drymouth' as it is usually a reaction of shock on different body systems that go away pretty quick....so all i can think is your electrolytes are all outta wack and if you aren't hungary by this point, see someone that went to a medschool. for real.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't think of that not sure if it matters but I'm taking the pill form.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My other symptoms only went away perhaps 2 days ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
How about you go to a doctor.  There is my advice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Flu...for seven days now?   Geez might want to see a doctor - sounds like the 1918 pandemic
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I had it for a month when I was a freshman in high school cause I was on a immune suppressant. Worse time of my life
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Dude, like totally smoke some doobage. Munchies rule!!!1!!one!

No, not really. Could you come over and sneeze on me, tho? I could stand to drop a few pounds.

My doc recommends diluted Gatorade - I just pour it warm over crushed ice. Apparently straight is really too concentrated for anyone that's not running a marathon or something.
I am not a doc, nor do I play one on TV. I was just told that one time. So instead of asking advice from a bunch of gun nutz, maybe call the doc?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I had it for a month when I was a freshman in high school cause I was on a immune suppressant. Worse time of my life

history taken. go see a doctor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
This doesn't even compare I couldn't even get out of bed during the freshman bout. Really the only thing wrong with me is my lack of hunger and the dehydration. Sounds like I can get some  Pedialyte  for the dehydration and lay of the nyquill. Now if I could just find something that I want to eat! Thanks for all the advice so far
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]

The food thing isn't as urgent as the dehydration.

You've been dealing with this for long enough that it is about time to talk to your doctor...see if he'll give you a prescrip for a z-pack.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top