Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2002 3:44:43 PM EDT
I had a RRA AR15 lower shipped to a FFL that I have done a lot of business and other AR15 transfers with in the past year. Well, the other day my lower arrived (in DE) and they are telling me they went to a seminar and learned that the MDSP doesn't like it when they(DE dealers) sell to MD residents.

HE told me he will only let me have my prepaid lower if they ship it to a MD FFL.

The reason I am so damn angry, is I was just up there on the 23 of DEC. and they didn't say anything about this to me, though were supposed to call me, but three days later no call.

SO anyone know the scoop? I asked them if this was a new Delaware law not to sell to Maryland residents a long rifle, and all he did was say he wasn't sure and he MUST follow MD law. I always though that you can go to a neighboring state and purchase a rifle? This would be the third AR15 lower that I bought from them THIS year alone! And now they all of a sudden have problems?

Somebobdy please help!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
M4 -

Assuming you are a MD resident, under federal law, the DE dealer CAN sell to you; it may be however that they've changed their store policy since this seminar.  If they are going to sell to a resident of another state, the DE dealer must comply with MD's laws in selling the gun to you.  Thats not up to them, thats federal law.

Now I don't know much about MD law, but there could be something in MD state law that precludes a purchase from a dealer in another state.  If thats the case, the DE dealer simply cannot sell it to you.  I don't think thats the case though - I think they just don't want to put themselves at risk.

What gun shop was this; X-Ring?  Millers?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
M4 -

Assuming you are a MD resident, under federal law, the DE dealer CAN sell to you; it may be however that they've changed their store policy since this seminar.  If they are going to sell to a resident of another state, the DE dealer must comply with MD's laws in selling the gun to you.  Thats not up to them, thats federal law.

Now I don't know much about MD law, but there could be something in MD state law that precludes a purchase from a dealer in another state.  If thats the case, the DE dealer simply cannot sell it to you.  I don't think thats the case though - I think they just don't want to put themselves at risk.

What gun shop was this; X-Ring?  Millers?
View Quote

Yep, its X-Ring! I have never been denied for a purchase of a firearm from ANY dealer, and have bought ARlowers from them before. So I dont know what the problem is. I am pretty sure there is no law that bars a MD res from buying a rifle in DE

Anyone else want to chime in?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
There may be no law prohibiting such a sale, but the store may set their own policy as they see fit. As long as their policy of not selling long guns to MD residents is not violating some state or federal law, there is not much you can do about it but ask them to make an exception to the policy for you (possible), based on your record with them, or ask them to change the policy (less likely).
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top