Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 4:45:51 AM EDT
anyone taking the payment agrees to:

- leave the country.  If we screwed you so bad you need to be paid, take the money and go back where your ancestors came from.

- no more racial issues.  We paid you off, shut up.

- no more PC crap

- no more ghettos.  Take'm back to your own homeland.

- no more affirmative action

- no more "blame the white man for everything"

- no more shake downs

- shut up about racial profiling

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't understand.
Even though slavery is/was an abomination, at the time IT WAS LEGAL.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Since none of my ancestors ever owned or profited from the ownership of slaves in America, I refuse to pay. Simple as that.
In fact, since I am of Swedish descent, and a direct descendant of the Vikings, and the Vikings spent many a year tormenting and enslaving Europeans, maybe the plaintiffs in this suit should pay ME something. After all, my great great great great........great great grandpappy probably enslaved the great great great great.....great grandpappy of somebody that owned African slaves.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
We're already paid, and we're going to pay more.

Might as well get something out of it.

I really believe they will blackmail some money out of someone.  Courts are SO corrupted........
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
No reparations, no way, no how, for one simple reason....

The US has a policy of not negotiating with terrorists. And this reparations blackmail is nothing more than political terrorism.

If we pay them off, EVERYONE is gonna blackmail the US for money.

The people who harmed others are dead. The people harmed are dead. Let it go. Your reparations are found in the ability to go out, get a job, and WORK to make yourself wealthy.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]

[b]In 1911,[red] [url=http://stills.nap.edu/btw/Vol.1/html/430.html]Booker T. Washington[/url][/red] wrote:
"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs - partly because they want sympathy, partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.

I'm afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public."[/b]

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I say we buy them a boat ticket to anywhere in Africa, and give them 40 acres and a mule over there and call it good.

This would only be for those that wanted to go, and any that stay. Assimilate.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're just showing off what you learned in Black History Month, aren't you?  [:D]
View Quote

But it's a DAMN good quote, ain't it? [:D]

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#12]
This will happen:

Realizing that they won't win, by suing the US Government, they are now going after Companies that somehow profited from slavery.
These companies will of course appeal the inevitable results, all the way to the Supreme Court.
The courts will shoot the suits down.
The lawyers will then try to find descendents of slave owners (who are rich), and sue them, hoping that their lawyers aren't as skilled as the corporate lawyers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
my great great great great........great great grandpappy probably enslaved the great great great great.....great grandpappy of somebody that owned African slaves.
View Quote

my ancestors come from all over northern, western and eastern europe, and i figure at one time or another each group enslaved, and was enslaved by, some other group. so i have two choices. choose what parts of my body to smack, or forget it and move on. maybe i'll just pay myself reparations, and have done with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Worth re-posting (and keeping in the "Quotes" file)

Quoted:

[b]In 1911,[red] [url=http://stills.nap.edu/btw/Vol.1/html/430.html]Booker T. Washington[/url][/red] wrote:
"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs - partly because they want sympathy, partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.

I'm afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public."[/b]

View Quote

T_M -

If I wasn't me, I'd want to be you! [}:D]

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Now I'm confused , does this mean that one part of me must pay the other part of me because one of my ancestors use to keep one of my other ancestors as a slave  ? And what of the the native ameran part of me ? What do I ge for that part ? Given my genetic makep below can anyone tell me what I'm 'entitled' too ?[>:/]

40% African
30% Caucasian
20% Native American
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Now wait a moment ! NOTHING for hte Native American side ?!? I'm gonna cry and call my congressman ![>(]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#20]
he's an amputee.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to file a lawsuit against the manufacturers of the .50 cal M2 machinegun and the  manufacturers of the P-15D Mustang fighter.  You see, it seems that a young U.S. Army Aircorps pilot strafed my non-combatant father during WWII.    Not only did this violent oppression scare the livin' puh-jeezus out of my father, it has also caused me great emotional distress.

Since I can't sue the U.S. government and win... I'll just pick on the BIG MEAN and EVIL corporations.  Did I mention that my lawyers says that corporations have - what he calls - "deep pockets"?

No, I've got a better one:  I'm going to sue my alma mater, because they knew that ignorance is bliss and yet they educated me!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just hung up from talking with my man, Messy Jesse, and he agreed that YOU owe ALL the reparations.  We decided we might as well go straight to the source.  Please call your relatives and notify them.  Hehe.  [:D]
View Quote

Cool!  Looks like we're all off the hook! My only remaining relatives are three broke brothers and my dad. I doubt seriously that dad will cut them a check, so it's up to us broke guys to pay up. Looks like they're getting SQUAT!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Can the descendants of Sally Hemmings (the ones from her and T. Jefferson) sue themselves?
Their insurance companies would pick up the tab...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Let's sue the producers of "Soul Train" for bad taste.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No reparations, no way, no how, for one simple reason....

The US has a policy of not negotiating with terrorists. And this reparations blackmail is nothing more than political terrorism.

If we pay them off, EVERYONE is gonna blackmail the US for money.

View Quote

I agree with you 110% garandman!

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you think they will accept payment in copper?

[50]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I just don't understand where these people get the idea that they are owed something just because they are born. If their ancestors were wronged too bad get over it.
If anyone is owed something its the 100,000+  white guys who DIED trying to stop slavery!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Right now they are trying to shake down corporations.  Only if they are successful there will they try for bigger game.  The tobacco settlement is funding this to parlay the power of attorneys to alter the course of government and rival the power of the media.  Class action is generally a rip-off.  It has some benefits if the litigators are altruistic but the general payoff for the individual is a gift certificate while the attorneys reap a bonanza.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Have to agree with Garandman too , I also worked with Africans while I lived in Germany and NONE of them wanted to go back there ! Oh for the record I consider myself an American first , last and only .
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Only if I get to keep my black rifles and mags marked SLAVE....I don't know.....since everyone is pushing for their "rights" on this issue, I might also want to be able to buy some more with all the evil features!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I think some of you are giving this sham far more attention than it deserves.  It is a non-issue.  

The people pushing this agenda have no intention of getting reparations.  Even if a case could be made, an actual policy is unimplementable and they know it.

This is a made up issue designed to stir the pot.  It uses the age old divide and conquer technique.  You get a few poor afro-Americans all riled up, and you get the rednecks all riled up = Power for Mr. Shakedown and his lackies.  Racism still exists, but most of the key issues were resolved 30 years ago.  Its not 1960 anymore, and they have to do something to keep the gravy train going.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We're already paid, and we're going to pay more.

Might as well get something out of it.

I really believe they will blackmail some money out of someone.  Courts are SO corrupted........
View Quote

And that, my friends, IS the TRUTH... Well put...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Lady of the wolf is exactly right!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Its a rip off.

Anyway I'll never pay and why should I? My ancestors came over on the bananna boat like so many others, worked hard, never had any slaves, so I don't give a flying damn if 'reparations' are ever paid.

Did I make myself clear? [smoke]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I would agree to repatriations. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey I just voted for two choices?  The normal radio buttons changed into check mark boxes.  How did that happen?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hey I just voted for two choices?  The normal radio buttons changed into check mark boxes.  How did that happen?
View Quote

Allowing multiple answers is a feature that is set when the user sets up the poll.

I decided it would be more fun to allow multiples.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
These lawsuits are a joke and they will be thrown out in court.  You cannot sue over something that was legal at the time it happened.  If they could prove that the companies used slaves after slavery was abolished then they would have a case.  But since slavery ended at the time it was abolished there is no grounds for the suit and it should not take a judge much time to throw this out.
Bill3508
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top