Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 5:52:23 PM EST
Dear; Govenor Bredesen,

I know your time is important so I will be brief. I am infuriated that General Motors is attempting to hold Tennessee hostage much like they have the Federal Goverment in negotiations to build a small car in the former Saturn plant. Govenor Bredesen, I know now why I am not govenor, I would not have been able to maintain my composure in that meeting with that request. This is an outrageous request considering Tennessee has a massive budget short fall and quite frankly I consider it very selfish of GM.
Govenor Bredesen, I have all the faith in the world in your abilities and sound business decisions. I respectfully ask that you do not give in on GM request for $200M.

Best Regards,

June 15, 2009

Dear Bryan:

Thank you for your message about the future of the General Motors plant in Spring Hill. Tennessee supports GM in its efforts to restructure, and the relationship between the state and the automaker remains strong. We understand the challenges GM is facing right now; and although those challenges will extend to the workers in Spring Hill, we also realize that both GM and the state have made a commitment to the community. We are convinced that Spring Hill has a role in GM's future.

The state of Tennessee is going to make an aggressive, but fiscally prudent proposal to General Motors to build its compact model line in Spring Hill. The facility at Spring Hill is the most modern of the three plants, has just undergone an $800 billion to $1 billion dollar retooling, is the most environmentally friendly plant, and is the most flexible, capable of building six different models of vehicles on three different platforms.

Tennessee has already demonstrated that we are willing and capable of making a commitment to GM's success. When GM transitioned Spring Hill from Saturn to the Chevy Traverse, Tennessee committed $35.1 million to train workers there for the skills they would need to build a new platform. So far, the state has spent about $17 million of that commitment, and we are fully prepared to continue training Spring Hill workers for a new compact model or any other GM product line.

An important point to remember is that after November, the Spring Hill plant will not be vacant. Approximately 600 GM powertrain and stamping workers will continue production there, producing high quality engines and parts for GM models built around the world. I am confident that, even if GM chooses not to build its small car line at Spring Hill, future opportunities for the plant there will exist.

Warmest regards,
Phil Bredesen

The Story;

General Motors Corp.'s assembly plant in Orion Township might stand a better chance at winning production for a small car now that the governor of Tennessee says it doesn't have the kind of incentive money that state would need to entice the automaker to build the car in Spring Hill.
GM has said it would make a decision –– based on 12 unidentified criteria –– by month's end on which of three idled plants would build the new small car. In the running:
• Orion Assembly in Michigan, which previously built the Pontiac G6 and Chevy Malibu.
• Janesville Assembly in Wisconsin, which built large SUVs, such as the Chevrolet Suburban.
• Spring Hill in Tennessee, which builds the Chevrolet Traverse. Production of the Traverse, however, is being shifted to a plant in Lansing, so Spring Hill will soon be without a product.
On Friday, Tenn. Gov. Phil Bredesen said it would take $200 million or more for Spring Hill's factory to stay in the game –– and Tennessee doesn't have that kind of cash.
"This is for them all about front-end money," Bredesen said Thursday, a day after meeting privately with GM officials in Washington along with Tennessee congressional leaders.
GM officials had no comment about whether they asked for cash.
But at an impromptu news conference, Bredesen said, "They don't care about tax credits and those other kinds of things. ... It certainly was a new look for me at how they're approaching this thing, which is absolutely, 'Tell me how big of a check you're going to write.' "
Although the request for a cash payment may dim Spring Hill's chances of survival, Bredesen said, state officials will "do some serious thinking about how we respond to their request."
Meanwhile, GM also has met with a congressional delegation from Michigan, and several state lawmakers have said they would consider providing incentives to win GM's small car project.
A spokeswoman for Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm would not discuss the state's strategy or negotiations with GM.
"We are fighting for every job and ... that plant," Liz Boyd, said, noting that the governor and Michigan Economic Development Corp. "are fully engaged in this fight."
GM originally had planned to build a new small car in China, but later decided it would build it in the United States as a concession to the UAW, which wants to save as many American jobs as possible as GM restructures in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy that includes billions of dollars in U.S. taxpayer aid.
The company has been operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since June 1.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:25:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By SkyFive:

On Friday, Tenn. Gov. Phil Bredesen said it would take $200 million or more for Spring Hill's factory to stay in the game –– and Tennessee doesn't have that kind of cash.
"This is for them all about front-end money," Bredesen said Thursday, a day after meeting privately with GM officials in Washington along with Tennessee congressional leaders.
GM officials had no comment about whether they asked for cash.
But at an impromptu news conference, Bredesen said, "They don't care about tax credits and those other kinds of things. ... It certainly was a new look for me at how they're approaching this thing, which is absolutely, 'Tell me how big of a check you're going to write.' "

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:36:02 PM EST
Anyone who would go out and by a GM product now needs their head examined.
Bunch of crooks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:39:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/28/2009 2:19:21 PM EST by molotov357]

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:56:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 9:50:33 PM EST by behindenemylines]
Fuck the liberal fuck wad Bredesen. He is not a friend of TN gun owners. His recent handling of the guns in restaurants, guns in parks and long guns in vehicles bills show his true colors.

And fuck GM/UAW!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:31:02 PM EST
Hmmm... so that's how you get a real response from a politician! You wrote a letter that was polite and to the point.

Note to self: Don't start off letters to politicians with the salutation "Dear Ass-hat".
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:56:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By SteveV:
Hmmm... so that's how you get a real response from a politician! You wrote a letter that was polite and to the point.

Note to self: Don't start off letters to politicians with the salutation "Dear Ass-hat".

So THAT's what I've been doing wrong.
Top Top