Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 9:40:59 AM EDT
So....I have only a few more months till thine ass turneth 21.  Im gonna buy a handgun the day of my birthday, and want to make sure that I make the right choice.  I have a soft spot for the .45, so Id like to keep it at that caliber.  I will eventually buy a 1911, since I like them so much, but since my roomate has already got one, I will not make that my first handgun purchase.

I like the feel of the sig, and also the walther, even the H&K.  Im not too much of a glock fan, but that is just simple inexperience.  

Could you guys give me some advice on this issue?  It will NOT be used for conceal carry, just mainly a good range, ranch, and defense gun. I will pay for quality, so being cheap is not really an issue.

Thanks alot....
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
get the Sig.

220 or 245. you'll never look back!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the CZ-97, they're about $500. Cheaper than 1911's, Glocks, or SIGs but with all the quality, reliability, accuracy, and feel.  CZ handguns are great values.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I must admit I don't have first-hand experience with CZ, but SIG or H&K?  You can't go wrong with either, you will not regret either.  My suggestion would be to acquire both!  As to which you should get first I have this advice.  Both funtion flawlessly, but if you appreciate metalwork go for the SIG.

GoGo
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Buy a classic single action .45, Colt or Springfield, Kimber etc. Take it to the range give us a report.

Then take some pics of your girl with it. She can get alot more poses out of a pistol than your ARs.[banana]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Just try holding a Baby Eagle, & see what you think. Just a suggestion. I have one in .45 & love it for fit, & feel. Works flawlessly for me.[:d]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
[b][hijack][/b]Is Glock still on everyone's shit list?[b][/hijack][/b]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[b][hijack][/b]Is Glock still on everyone's shit list?[b][/hijack][/b]
View Quote

Not on mine.  They capped the VP who talked out of his ass on 60 mins.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Well,  according to the reply's....I have no choice but to get them all.    
yeah right....   [:)]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I asked the same thing, but I had to wait a couple years after I qualifed with a 45 in the military before I could buy one......Go figure...

I bought a 1911, but I should have bought a good 22 pistol and a rifle.  You need *practice* and a rimfire is the best way to learn.

I would recommend a K-22, a S&W model 41 or the like, or a bolt action 22 rifle.

FWIW
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You've heard the phrase, "Beware the man with one gun!"

Get what you really want to end up with the first time, then practice, practice, practice.  I'd say it will be the most fun to have well-tuned and reliable 1911 that runs like a machine and hits like a lazer.

If you want to play with other models, rent 'em at the range.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The most important thing is to buy what fits. Go to a local shop and see how each model feels in your hands. Rent and fire them if possible in your area.

I love the HK USP but it is too large for some people's hands. it could be the best gear in the world, but if it don't fit it's useless to you.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been testing all the pistols for grip, and I really like the sig's, as well as the h&k's.  As far as rifles are concerned, Im set for right now.  
Thanks for all the suggestions, and just too let you all know, I will try every suggestion that is made, as long as it is reasonable.  

THANK YOU VERY MUCH¿ê    [uzi]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock Model 23 or Sig 229 if you have smaller hands.
Glock Model 22 or Sig 226 if you have larger hands.
.40 Cal would be the way I would go.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love the HK USP but it is too large for some people's hands. it could be the best gear in the world, but if it don't fit it's useless to you.
View Quote

Another vote for the USP.  If the full sized USP is too big for your hands, try a Compact USP.  I did and it fits like a glove.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Browning Hi Power. Its a great little gun, very reliable and pretty cheap too. I would reccomend a FN. If you want something bigger Id go with HK USP .45.

DONT BUY A GLOCK though. They are totally on the Gun Control People side. Like S&W used to be.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Get your own 1911 NOW!  You gotta be kidding me.  That is the first 45ACP gun!  And still the preminent weapon in that caliber.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If you cant have a 1911, have a

[img]http://www.gunaction.com/images/pisto/Sig_Sauer_P220_.38_Super__.45_Auto.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#18]
That will work too!

Someday I will get me one of dem!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]
If you buy a 1911, be prepared to spend more money having the barrel throated, ramp polished, extractor tuned etc. You know the mandatory stuff that has to be done to a gun that is supposedly reliable out of the box. If you don't believe me, why isn't there a thriving gunsmithing industry offering these types of "reliability packages" for Glocks, Sigs or HKs?

My suggestion as designated gunsmith is to get a Sig 220 or HK USP/Tactical in .45.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't get a Glock. It doesn't matter if Jannuzzo was fired, the ATF still said that Glock is scanning shell casings for them as part of a "pilot project." They could fire everyone in the factory and replace Gaston himself for all I care. If they're scanning casing for the ATF, then I don't wanna supoort 'em.

Now, as to 45's, do you want a plastic wonder pistol or a finely crafted metal gun? If you want plastic, go with the HK USP. If you want metal, get a Sig. If you want a 1911, go with Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I personally have a nine mm that I bought for $20 bucks and a Glock 22 .45 ACP.  I've used more guns than I can count.  I like my Glock but I won't buy another because of their dealings with the ATF.  I happen to like the Springfield XD.  That will be my next gun.  Johnphin has one and I've looked into them recently myself.  Soldiers of Fortune also had an article recently praising their virtues.  Plus, they are reasonably inexpensive being under $500 in most states.  Unfortunately they only come in 9mm, 357 sig, or .40 s&w.  I had a .40 cal Glock before my .45 and liked it.  Unfortunately had to sell it when my daughter was born for some quick cash.  I then bought the .45 version.  It's definately worth the thought.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top