Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 8:38:00 PM EDT
So I recently turned 21 and planned on picking up a walther pps for my ccw and one other gun. Debating between kahr p380 for a bug, k98 mauser for fun, or beretta 92fs for range. My neighbor/friends are telling me I'm foolish for not stocking up on more "assault rifles" and high cap mags to guns I don't even own. Uhh am I crazy or are they??? (soon as I turned 18, I spent all my cash on a benelli m4, ak, and built my own ar15)
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I recently turned 21 and planned on picking up a walther pps for my ccw and one other gun. Debating between kahr p380 for a bug, k98 mauser for fun, or beretta 92fs for range. My neighbor/friends are telling me I'm foolish for not stocking up on more "assault rifles" and high cap mags to guns I don't even own. Uhh am I crazy or are they??? (soon as I turned 21, I spent all my cash on a benelli m4, ak, and built my own ar15)

Damnit Johnson!!!

Also, FIRST!!!!

Get what you think you need. Opinions are like assholes...yada yada yada.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
mags and parts.  mags and parts. Next time probably should have an ammo fort too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Semi autos will always be the first to go...

However...

I"m fixing to say something that alot of members here are going to poo-poo.

There aint gonna be another federal ban!!!!!!!!

The political climate is not there and you now have a second amendment right!!!!!!!   Heller gave you that, prior to Heller, you had no right.

The dems have a death lock on power...  They passed health care and still don't have the ability to ban anything.

They aint going near guns with a 10 foot pole.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
And you can forget about a state ban in Ok.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I recently turned 21 and planned on picking up a walther pps for my ccw and one other gun. Debating between kahr p380 for a bug, k98 mauser for fun, or beretta 92fs for range. My neighbor/friends are telling me I'm foolish for not stocking up on more "assault rifles" and high cap mags to guns I don't even own. Uhh am I crazy or are they??? (soon as I turned 21, I spent all my cash on a benelli m4, ak, and built my own ar15)

No offense, but do you have to be 21 to buy long guns in OK? Why didn't you get that at 18?

I'm 19, while I only have 3 handguns, I am up to over a dozen rifles now.

You're not crazy, I'd worry about handguns first. You can carry a CCW every day. Not every day will call for an AR. Work on CCW, the best you can get and practice a lot. Worry about "assault weapons", ammo and mags immediately after
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifle > shotgun > handgun > pointy stick
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but do you have to be 21 to buy long guns in OK? Why didn't you get that at 18?

You're not crazy, I'd worry about handguns first. You can carry a CCW every day. Not every day will call for an AR. Work on CCW, the best you can get and practice a lot. Worry about "assault weapons", ammo and mags immediately after

Doh, I meant 18. Fixed!  And I am slowly building up my gun collection, but for some reason I have a fondness for the handguns.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wait until the third term.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
well, considering how plentiful mags and AR stuff in general is right now, there's really no reason not to stock up.  fear of an upcoming ban or not.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at the reasons for why you own guns?  Fun?  Sport?  Defense in the home?  Defense of your country?  Then decide what firearms fit that chosen role best.  Factors to include are spare parts/ammo/mag commonality, capacity, reliability, accuracy, ease of maintenance, etc.

If those are firearms that would be affected by an assault weapons ban (look back at the old one for a likely template) buy those now.  You can always trick out a bolt action long range rifle during a ban.  Then buy the components to keep it running, in multiples.  Another thing to look at is buying multiples of the same weapon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rifle > shotgun > handgun > pointy stick

Carry a pistol every day. A handgun in the hands is better then a rifle in the house
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doh, I meant 18. Fixed!  And I am slowly building up my gun collection, but for some reason I have a fondness for the handguns.

No problem. I usually get cravings for different things. One point I'm buying a few mosins, next is handgun mags, I just got over my AK cravings, and am headed back into the reloading bug and building another midlength.

I don't worry about CCW yet, as I can't at my age, but I do have a good holster, mags, carry ammo, and a good belt ready for the day.

Buy what you want, just make sure you get enough of everything
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
My advice: look at what's been done in the past.

The US AW Ban: No Mag > 10 rounds, flash hiders, bayo lugs, or telestocks.

Canada: Mag Limits, restrictions on small concealable handguns, and semi auto rifles.

I would agree with the comments that I don't see anything happening like this real soon, but long term is anyone's guess.

I would prioritize thus: 1-Semi Auto Rifle, 2-Concealable Handguns, 3-Full Size Large Capacity Handguns, 4- Shotguns.

JMHO worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm buying EBRs and a LOT of mags >10 rounds and not just for my EBRs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
It will take only one "disaster" of some sort or another to turn things around real quick from plenty to scarce. Use history to judge what can happen in the future, remember history does repeat itself.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
well, considering how plentiful mags and AR stuff in general is right now, there's really no reason not to stock up.  fear of an upcoming ban or not.

1+
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So I recently turned 21 and planned on picking up a walther pps for my ccw and one other gun. Debating between kahr p380 for a bug, k98 mauser for fun, or beretta 92fs for range. My neighbor/friends are telling me I'm foolish for not stocking up on more "assault rifles" and high cap mags to guns I don't even own. Uhh am I crazy or are they??? (soon as I turned 18, I spent all my cash on a benelli m4, ak, and built my own ar15)

Buy what you want...

but always bear in mind that certain people have their sights on certain things and one day maybe soon, those things may disappear.

Shooting stuff is fun and guns are good, so just go forth and buy many.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy what you want.  The chances of another ban like the 1994 one are slim.  In OK I don't even think AWB is in enough people's vocabulary to make it a mere passing thought.  

Everyone is always preparing for the "last ban" when I doubt that they would do anything that obvious and straightforward again.  You can stock up on X and don't worry, they are going to go after Y the next time.

Stay vigilant and have fun.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not going to happen anytime soon. It's not even on the Radar of either side. There are real issues to be addressed right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not going to happen anytime soon. It's not even on the Radar of either side. There are real issues to be addressed right now.

I gotta say, this looks like the truth for right now, but if Repubs don't get congress back under control in November, I'd not be so sure.    Anyone who thinks Obama gives a damn about Heller et al is in for a suprise.   He rams shit through with no regard for the laws of the land.   One needs to look no farther than health care to see that.

To OP:   I'd really suggest getting some of the things that may be targeted down the road for future "banning".   I'd honestly think the K98 will be very very low on the list and I'd focus on getting an MBR instead (think M1A, FAL imho).   The Walther PPS is a fine weapon; I'd get a G26 instead of the Kahr for sure.  

Mags (and now ammo) should be up there on your "to buy" list.   You don't have to go nuts all at once, just snag a box of ammo and a mag or 2 a week and you'll be swimming in 'em :)    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top