My goal is not to be a programmer or developer

My goal is to be able to produce effective proof of concepts

several have suggested that I start off with Ruby

thoughts?

Tell me why I'm destined to sink the failboat

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of people like python for rapid prototyping.

I don't care for it personally, but I had years of perl experience before I looked at it, which impacted how I viewed python.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you want to run those proof of concept systems on the web, or on a PC, or on something else?

If a PC/Windows-based proof of concept is what you're looking for, you might consider looking into the Free Microsoft Visual Basic Express development tool.

Of course, you can use it to build a proof of concept for other purposes - for example, I once used Visual Basic to build a working proof of concept for an embedded microcontroller-based intelligent thermostat user interface...

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
what's your platform?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Python works on all major platforms and it is very easy to learn.

I am a former Perl developer and have zero interest in writing anything ever again in Perl after trying out Python.

Guy who designed Perl - Linguistics Expert

Guy who designed Python - Mathematician

Having wrote code for years in Perl, I can see the differences now that I have seen the light with Python.  There is a "Right" way to do things in Python, vs Perl..where you have a lot of ways to do the same thing.

That said, if you are only interested in writing GUI-based apps, you should check out the .NET stuff like C#.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Python works on all major platforms and it is very easy to learn.

I am a former Perl developer and have zero interest in writing anything ever again in Perl after trying out Python.

Guy who designed Perl - Linguistics Expert
Guy who designed Python - Mathematician

Having wrote code for years in Perl, I can see the differences now that I have seen the light with Python.  There is a "Right" way to do things in Python, vs Perl..where you have a lot of ways to do the same thing.

That said, if you are only interested in writing GUI-based apps, you should check out the .NET stuff like C#.

ditto.

Except for GUI –– Check out wxPython, its cross-platform

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest starting off with a static language first to understand the basics, then move on to a dynamic language like what has been mentioned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top