Posted: 4/18/2010 8:22:18 AM EDT
My goal is not to be a programmer or developer

My goal is to be able to produce effective proof of concepts

several have suggested that I start off with Ruby

thoughts?

Tell me why I'm destined to sink the failboat

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:43:49 AM EDT
Lots of people like python for rapid prototyping.

I don't care for it personally, but I had years of perl experience before I looked at it, which impacted how I viewed python.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:46:12 AM EDT
Do you want to run those proof of concept systems on the web, or on a PC, or on something else?

If a PC/Windows-based proof of concept is what you're looking for, you might consider looking into the Free Microsoft Visual Basic Express development tool.

Of course, you can use it to build a proof of concept for other purposes - for example, I once used Visual Basic to build a working proof of concept for an embedded microcontroller-based intelligent thermostat user interface...

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:38:20 PM EDT
what's your platform?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:56:16 PM EDT
Python works on all major platforms and it is very easy to learn.

I am a former Perl developer and have zero interest in writing anything ever again in Perl after trying out Python.

Guy who designed Perl - Linguistics Expert
Guy who designed Python - Mathematician

Having wrote code for years in Perl, I can see the differences now that I have seen the light with Python. There is a "Right" way to do things in Python, vs Perl..where you have a lot of ways to do the same thing.

That said, if you are only interested in writing GUI-based apps, you should check out the .NET stuff like C#.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:45:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2010 5:46:25 AM EDT by libertynews]
Originally Posted By angrymarmot:
Python works on all major platforms and it is very easy to learn.

I am a former Perl developer and have zero interest in writing anything ever again in Perl after trying out Python.

Guy who designed Perl - Linguistics Expert
Guy who designed Python - Mathematician

Having wrote code for years in Perl, I can see the differences now that I have seen the light with Python. There is a "Right" way to do things in Python, vs Perl..where you have a lot of ways to do the same thing.

That said, if you are only interested in writing GUI-based apps, you should check out the .NET stuff like C#.

ditto.

Except for GUI –– Check out wxPython, its cross-platform

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:25:52 AM EDT
I would suggest starting off with a static language first to understand the basics, then move on to a dynamic language like what has been mentioned.
Top Top