Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2004 6:42:45 PM EDT
I have a G2 for general "can't find that screw" use and an E2D for nightly walks through PRNJ - but what about for indoor emergency use, eg. smoke in hallways, lights out in stairwell, etc.

I'm thinking one of the huge maglites....  any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire M6
Light and bright as hell!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My friends got an M3T.  I swear they can see it from space....  WAAAAAY more than a maglite though.  IS it worth the jump in price?  ESPECIALLY battery price?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
And yes price is an issue now that I have two weapon lights and 4 non-weapon lights.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is, this puppy will give you a headache if you look at the beam, Comes with a low power and Hi-power bulb. I bought a few boxes of batts and spares carrier from them a month ago
My buddies are amazed by the light power from this thing. It's about the size of a chunky 2D flashlight and feels nice to hold
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
2nd Vote for Sure-Fire M6
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
how long does the batt/lamp last?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a 6 D-cell Maglight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get a 6 D-cell Maglight.

+1

Got one… make a damn good club as well…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
six "D" cell Maglites are crap !! i have one & it is too big, too heavy, not bright enough & near imposible to handle when handling a gun !!

my preference is a "Streamlite Strion", it is small, extremely bright & is in my opinion the very best rechargable lite on the market !! around $80.00 & damn well worth it !!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm all for being psychotic, but, shit!  $400 for a flashlight?  That's getting just a wee bit silly.

Quoted:
Surefire M6
Light and bright as hell!!!!
www.surefire.com/surefire/content/m6ha_large.jpg

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want a club, buy a Mag Light.  If you want light, get the Stream Light Ultra-Stinger.  Rechargable and 75,000 candle power.  That is about as good as a hand held tube flash light gets.

If you want REALLY bright, get one of the 3-million candlepower jobs.  Rather heavy, but you can see through walls with that thing.  My aunt got one for shooting critters in the woods behind her place.  They can't hide from the Stream Light!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
guys, this is not a weaponlight, thought I made that clear.  I was thinking about one of the trillion candlepower jobs,, but I hate the handle on top of light arrangement...

Plus I can use the maglite like sammy sosa does.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#13]
If you bothered to READ the fucking original post....

Quoted:
I want to get a big flash light for indoor emergency use....  

I have a G2 for general "can't find that screw" use and an E2D for nightly walks through PRNJ - but what about for indoor emergency use, eg. smoke in hallways, lights out in stairwell, etc.

Quoted:
six "D" cell Maglites are crap !! i have one & it is too big, too heavy, not bright enough & near imposible to handle when handling a gun !!

my preference is a "Streamlite Strion", it is small, extremely bright & is in my opinion the very best rechargable lite on the market !! around $80.00 & damn well worth it !!

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#14]
well said.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]

From what my father told me................Maglights are the preferred attitude adjuster of LEO's everywhere

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Good price, good batt life... I think we have a winner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Maglite® 4D    39 lumens 36 hrs  $19.55
+
TRILIGHT III $90.00
= 240 Lumens at 110$

Or

Maglite® 6D   106 lumens 36 hrs   $23.35
+HELIOS  $200.00
=360 Lumens @$234

+MEGA6  $325.00
=720 Lumens @ $349 ( i think 720 lumens melts most metals)

Last longer than the M6 (500 lumens 20 min)and cheaper. Havent used it, but I will get one for mine when I get back home

http://www.inretech.com/index2.htm

Review http://www.zvis.com/flshlit/led/intchtril.shtml
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
1 candle power = 10 lumens

kinda
it is brightness vs intensity  / no real conversion chart / this is close as I can come to a conversion chart
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I want one of those plasma lights like they were carrying on the xfiles.

$4,250.00

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
1 candle power = 10 lumens

kinda
it is brightness vs intensity  / no real conversion chart / this is close as I can come to a conversion chart

Huh so 1 million candle power = 10 million lumens?

jk I know they are diff unit thingamabobs
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#22]
What about LED flashlights?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I want one of those plasma lights like they were carrying on the xfiles.

$4,250.00

uhh, nope, Shormer-Tec and some other vendors have 'em for half that!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#24]
For my two cents, I have had several Maglites over the years.

Not the brightest things in the world, but built very sturdy. My problem with them is that sometimes they just don't work. You pick them up, click the switch....and nothing....then bang them on your leg once and Bingo...they come on. I suspect that the switch just gets oxidized from not being used.

Something to consider with the large rechargeable units is that they need to be maintained and checked often. If you leave them plugged in and charging all of the time, there's a good chance that when you really need it that you'll get about 5 minutes of use. Nicads have low internal resistance and tend to lose their charge over time, so you can't just leave them off the charger and expect them to work six months later. If on the other hand, you use them regularly and allow them to deep discharge, you shouldn't have a problem. Lead/acid batteries operate much better when on a trickle charge but heavy as hell.

Good luck!

Ed
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#25]
i have a 3 D-cell maglight for general purpose use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Get this www.uwkinetics.com/D_LC100.htm

It's about $150-$200 but is VERY bright.

... and if you ever tak eup diving, you'll have an excellent dive light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Mag lite you can't go wrong.  You can find (D cell) batteries from Big Bear to 7-11.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2190911

i.walmart.com/i/p/00/61/79/77/00/0061797700207_215X215.jpg

One million candle power

These are very good for the price. I have one very similar to the pic, only it's made by Dorcy and was $19.99.

It has a car charger as well as a home charger, so it always has a power source even in a blackout.

Plus it's amazingly bright, with a nice large beam that goes a very long distance. This thing will freeze a bear in it's tracks. I always pack it when I go to the place in the PA boonies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i have a 3 D-cell maglight for general purpose use.

I have a special halogen lamp in my 3 D-cell Maglight, and the brightness isn't even close to my 2 cell DL123 cell Scorpion. Besides, I had really lousy luck with these mass produced alkaline cells, they keep on leaking and ruining the flashlight(which is not a problem because the battery mfgrs will repair them 'free", but you have spend money for postage to send your flashlight to them) but the main problem they don't work. I can't wait until the lithium D-cell became more widely available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2190911

i.walmart.com/i/p/00/61/79/77/00/0061797700207_215X215.jpg

One million candle power

I had that exact model. It lasted about six months.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#31]
What you need is a Steamlight LiteBox.  Comes with a wall mount/charger that you can hang on the wall in your house.  It is an available option to have it come on when the lights go out so you can find it on the wall.

Firemen use these a lot.  As an electrical contractor we carry them in our trucks.  You can set it on a table and turn the lamp straight up to shine on the ceiling to illuminate a whole room.  There are different wattage lamps available either is good but the brighter one will carry you though most emergencies, you get more hours out of the low watt model.

You can illuminate the top of a electrical pole while a worker is closing switches, spotlight a deer at a hundred yards, set it on the ground and work in a panel or any type activity like that.  It runs in the 125 dollar range and will not let you down.

It is not light in weight but in a building use if you are resetting breakers or changing a panel breaker you sit it on its ass and shine it where you  need the  light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#32]
What happens is the batteries give off gas.
The Maglight flashlights are durn near a sealed unit.
The gasses attack the weakest part of the innards, the on/off switch.

You need to open the flashlight up to vent the gasses about once a month, and replace the batteries every 6 months or so.

When my squadron went to all Maglights for both maintenance and aircrew we had this problem.

Quoted:
For my two cents, I have had several Maglites over the years.

Not the brightest things in the world, but built very sturdy. My problem with them is that sometimes they just don't work. You pick them up, click the switch....and nothing....then bang them on your leg once and Bingo...they come on. I suspect that the switch just gets oxidized from not being used.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We keep Streamlight Stingers plugged into their chargers around the house, including the bedrooms.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I never noticed much difference between a 4D Mag Lite and a 2D Mag Lite. In smoke as in fog you don't want alot of light, it's the color of the light that makes the difference. Amber cuts thru fog and smoke better then white light. Also remember the more light you throw out the more will be reflected back to blind you that's why you don't use your high beams in fog, you can see better with low beams.  Personally, I'd go with a 2D Mag-Lite, stick with even numbers, that way you can split up a pack of 4,6 or 8 batteries and have the right number left for a reload.  Odd number lights always leave you with to few batteries.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I went to wlmart today and found something that looks like this for 24 bucks.  IF it sucks, no big deal - real cheap...
It has a trigger for momentary as well as a constant on switch near where a 1911 safety would be.  Claims to work for 10-12 hours on a charge, or leave it plugged in. 1mil candles.

note - not this one, just looks like it
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#36]
DK-Prof-a diver-beat me to it.

Underwater Kinetics dive lights.

I have a 6 "C" cell model that'll put ANY Maglite or battery operated light to shame.

I always take it hunting with me 'cause invaribly someone will pull out the newest flashlight they've bought and go, "Looky here!".

I've done the divelight thing so many times that now whenever someone whips out their newest purchase someone else that's always there will say, "That's nice. Gamesniper, show him your divelight."

I'm amazed that no one else has caught on. They keep trying to beat the divelight and so far cannot. And divelights are DURABLE.

ETA: I guess no one else buys them for hunting because they come in bright, easy-to-locate-if-you've-dropped-it-underwater colors instead of Mossy Oak or Realtree.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What you need is a Steamlight LiteBox.  Comes with a wall mount/charger that you can hang on the wall in your house.  It is an available option to have it come on when the lights go out so you can find it on the wall.

Firemen use these a lot.  As an electrical contractor we carry them in our trucks.  You can set it on a table and turn the lamp straight up to shine on the ceiling to illuminate a whole room.  There are different wattage lamps available either is good but the brighter one will carry you though most emergencies, you get more hours out of the low watt model.

You can illuminate the top of a electrical pole while a worker is closing switches, spotlight a deer at a hundred yards, set it on the ground and work in a panel or any type activity like that.  It runs in the 125 dollar range and will not let you down.

It is not light in weight but in a building use if you are resetting breakers or changing a panel breaker you sit it on its ass and shine it where you  need the  light.

+1 on the lite box the standard model that we use at the fire station runs for about 6-8 hours.   I am a big fan of the streamlight products  I use the sl-90 (angle head rechargable) on my coat at the fire station.  I also have the smaller model of the litebox that I really love.    I keep a streamlight stinger in my truck.   In the house I have 4 maglights  2D and 3D types.   next to the house gun is a surefire G2.  I have a 2nd G2 in my man purse amd a E2D for personel carry.   In my work truck I have a litebox SL40  and a sl-20 (mag type) rechargable.  

streamlight

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have a 6 "C" cell model that'll put ANY Maglite or battery operated light to shame.

I always take it hunting with me 'cause invaribly someone will pull out the newest flashlight they've bought and go, "Looky here!".

I've done the divelight thing so many times that now whenever someone whips out their newest purchase someone else that's always there will say, "That's nice. Gamesniper, show him your divelight."

I'm amazed that no one else has caught on. They keep trying to beat the divelight and so far cannot. And divelights are DURABLE.

ETA: I guess no one else buys them for hunting because they come in bright, easy-to-locate-if-you've-dropped-it-underwater colors instead of Mossy Oak or Realtree.

It's true - and you don't even need the fancy-schmancy stuff like the expensive "Light Cannon" model I linked to above.  

A few weeks ago we had some power outages here from some big thunderstorms.  When the power went out at 10 PM, I grabbed the big 4-D cell maglite I have by the side of the bed.  While I was wandering around the house, I stumbled across one of my dive lights (a Princeton Tec Showckwave II) - and when I turned it on the comparison was laughable - there was just no contest.  The Princeton Tec literally almost lit up the whole house, it was so bright.

Plus - a regular dive light is not that expensive - and if you're looking for something in the dark, a bright yellow dive light might be easier to find than a tactical black maglite

Since I started the dive light suggestion, I'll put a few specifics in:

Here's the Princeton Tec Shockwave II was talking about - it has two brightness settings, uses 8 C-cell batteries, and you can get it for about $50 or less if you look around on-line (and it even comes in black IIRC, in case yellow is too girly):

Something like the SL6 from Underwater Kinetics is relaly good if you want a tight, narrow beam - and costas between $25 and $30.  Uses 6 C-cell batteries (and there's a smaller and cheaper version called the SL4 that uses 4 C-cells)

... those are just examples - but dive lights are definitely worth checking out if you're thinking about emergency lights.

Another thing to consider is that these lights also come with lanyards (wrist straps) so that you don't drop them if you accidentally lose your grip.  Also a good feature for an emergency or survival light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I would suggest any of the streamlight laterns.  they are recharchable and are very rugged. check Galls for details, probably find them cheaper somewhere else though.   check here
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#41]
DK: I have the SL6. Paid $45 for it.

Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#42]
A big flashlight?
Streamlight lightbox.
It's pretty big has a eight hour light run. Can be charged in the house or vehicle. Has a flat bottom and a "head" that twists around. It's great for setting down to have both hands free.
M
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#43]
If it is for real emergency use, what about getting a head lamp so that your hands can be free? Something like this:

Granted, you can't use it as an attitude adjustment tool, but it gives a lot more flexibility than having one hand tied down by a light.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#44]
well, maybe not for trillion candlepower flashlights, but for general lighting, have you considered LED flashlights? LED's are relatlively efficient compared to incandesent bulbs, and, you can get up to over a hundred hours of light off of just a couple of AA cells. with the multi LED C and D flashlights, you can aim them at your ceiling to illuminate an area, and they should have around 80 or so hours off a set of batteries.
my favorites right now is the AAA Dorcy 1 LED light at walmart for $6.00, small, lights small areas well, has a crappy key chain/laynard wire in the back, and has a funky push button or you twist the tail cap to turn it on, but it is fairly bright for the size.
my second choice is the teknolite, a 3 AAA, 4 LED light with 3  GTLS (tritium glow tubes) located around the head of the flashlight to let you located it in the dark! waterproof (has o rings, you twist the head to turn the light on, but don't turn it on deep underwater or it might leak), claims to run 150 hours off one set of AA batteries. cheapest price seen at gun shows was around $25-30.
for some reviews, see this link, flashlightreviews.com - also, you can check out a site called candlepowerforums.com

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
www.strategosstore.com/product.asp?0=893&1=898&3=1339

7 Million candlepower baby!

i see your 7 million and raise you another 3 million

10 million candle power
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's true - and you don't even need the fancy-schmancy stuff like the expensive "Light Cannon" model I linked to above.  

A few weeks ago we had some power outages here from some big thunderstorms.  When the power went out at 10 PM, I grabbed the big 4-D cell maglite I have by the side of the bed.  While I was wandering around the house, I stumbled across one of my dive lights (a Princeton Tec Showckwave II) - and when I turned it on the comparison was laughable - there was just no contest.  The Princeton Tec literally almost lit up the whole house, it was so bright.

Plus - a regular dive light is not that expensive - and if you're looking for something in the dark, a bright yellow dive light might be easier to find than a tactical black maglite

Here's the Princeton Tec Shockwave II was talking about - it has two brightness settings, uses 8 C-cell batteries, and you can get it for about $50 or less if you look around on-line (and it even comes in black IIRC, in case yellow is too girly):
www.scuba.com/images/lights/026578.jpg

Something like the SL6 from Underwater Kinetics is relaly good if you want a tight, narrow beam - and costas between $25 and $30.  Uses 6 C-cell batteries (and there's a smaller and cheaper version called the SL4 that uses 4 C-cells)
www.scuba.com/images/lights/UKsunlighSL6.jpg

... those are just examples - but dive lights are definitely worth checking out if you're thinking about emergency lights.

Another thing to consider is that these lights also come with lanyards (wrist straps) so that you don't drop them if you accidentally lose your grip.  Also a good feature for an emergency or survival light.

Aren't a lot of dive lights temp sensitive?  
As in if you use them out of water they can fry themselves?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.scuba.com/images/lights/026578.jpg

www.scuba.com/images/lights/UKsunlighSL6.jpg

Nope - I've never hear that, nor have I ever noticed any of my six different dive lights getting particularly hot (in or out of the water)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The G2 is brighter and better than a huge maglite.

You think a maglite is an upgrade?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Flashlights, one place where size is not important.  If you are looking for bright, remember that too much light will blind you indoors and trash your night vision.  (Especically in a smoke filled hall,  Like your car's brights on in fog.)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Since I'm a scientist I couldn't resist , so I just left both a 4-cell maglite, and an 8-cell dive light on for 12 minutes.

Results: Neither flashlight is warm to the touch.  However, the glass right in front of the bulbs on both flashlights were warm.  The princeton tec was somewhat warmer than the maglite on the glass, but still not hot (neither was uncomfortably hot when I put my lower lip on the glass - sorry, my lips were the most sensitive thing I was willing to risk ).

I also took pictures of the light they throw out in a dark room:

Here is the mag-lite

And here is the princeton tec

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top