Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
How much will it cost and what do I need as far as tools to get started? I'm tired of being part of the "buy it new!" crowd... I want a genuine w4klr-15.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:13:54 PM EDT
Try the AR-15 forum instead of GD as a first suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:15:13 PM EDT
Yeah... I just thought of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:15:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CeramicGod:
Try the AR-15 forum instead of GD as a first suggestion.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:16:18 PM EDT
A die grinder, and some nails and a rock...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:18:25 PM EDT
You dont build, you assemble.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:19:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By w4klr:
How much will it cost and what do I need as far as tools to get started? I'm tired of being part of the "buy it new!" crowd... I want a genuine w4klr-15.

Good idea. Anything you build your self entitles you to a free lifetime unlimited warranty.

Any word on when BPS might begin selling AR's?

HS1
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:20:42 PM EDT
if you get a flat top upper, add about 500 more for optics. A regular iron site upper costs about 750 to build.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:

Originally Posted By w4klr:

Good idea. Anything you build your self entitles you to a free lifetime unlimited warranty.

Any word on when BPS might begin selling AR's?

HS1

We have them on our vendor list in A/P, but I haven't seen activity on the account throughout the whole company. It's a very real possibility if someone could get John L. to approve the purchases. When they do, I imagine them to stock varmint-style ar15s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:01:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
A die grinder, and some nails and a rock...

You forgot the nailclippers.

...and you call yourself a gunsmith.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:02:38 AM EDT
I dunno if anyone here can help you, man... Better cross-post this at FALfiles and 1911.com...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:25:10 AM EDT
I am not trying to dissuade you from building your own AR, but at the combat rifle course I just attended, there was only one homebrewed AR there and it had malfunction after malfunction. The rest of the rifles were factory built weapons and ran smoothely. The instructor said that 90% of the time when there is a troublesome rifle in their class it is home built.

Now, if you already have a couple ARs, and just want to do this as a fun project, then go for it. But if this going to be rifle that you will go to in a time of need, I would stick with factory built.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:28:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rasanders22:
if you get a flat top upper, add about 500 more for optics. A regular iron site upper costs about 750 to build.

Wait a minute...

Are you saying the entire rifle with an iron sight upper costs $750 or just the upper costs $750?

If you are saying the upper costs $750 to build, you're out of your mind.

I have built complete flat-top rifles with quality parts (Bushmaster M4 upper with Ameetech lower) for $600 total.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:35:10 AM EDT
I "built" my own AR. Actually, there really isn't a whole lot to do. The standard 20" upper was completely assembled and test fired by the factory...........all I had to do was assemble the lower. DPMS lower with a two stage trigger.

Took me a while to put it all together. My first build so I really took my time.

It operates flawlessly. I say go build one.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:43:42 AM EDT
I "built" a nice stag. I did use a complete upper and just assembeled the lower.

Upper Stag flat top upper from AIM, comes with buis.
I used a Stag stripped lower and RRA lower parts kit.
For the stock I went with a collapsible LMT with heavy buffer and spring, it was not the cheapest but makes the gun function wonderfully. i think ti was alittle over $700 total.

This gun has never had a failer, cheap wolf what ever runs great. I can't say the same for my Bushmastered uppered RRA lowered 20" A2 flat top, that thing only likes brass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:13:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 9:17:59 AM EDT by Gator]

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
I am not trying to dissuade you from building your own AR, but at the combat rifle course I just attended, there was only one homebrewed AR there and it had malfunction after malfunction. The rest of the rifles were factory built weapons and ran smoothely. The instructor said that 90% of the time when there is a troublesome rifle in their class it is home built.

Now, if you already have a couple ARs, and just want to do this as a fun project, then go for it. But if this going to be rifle that you will go to in a time of need, I would stick with factory built.

Despite what he says that may not represent the entire population. I would guess most of what he calls home-built venture outside of the KISS principle. Titanium firing pins, chrome bolts and all the other non-standard stuff.

I've assembled 2 from stripped receivers that run great using tried and true components. Plenty others here have had good results too. You can also ruin the reliability of a perfectly fine factory rifle blinging it out.

Edit - I built using RRA parts on different lowers, they liked brass and Wolf. (althouth I only fired off 60 rounds of Wolf with one).

You'll need at a minimum an upper vise block ($35 or more), a barrel wrench, and probably a stock wrench. I made a lower block for the magwell out of wood.
Spending $15 for a handguard tool can save yourself some cursing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:25:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Yankee1911:You forgot the nailclippers.

That's why they're banned on flights! You can build assault rifles with them!
Top Top