Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 8:20:03 PM EDT
Something similar to this patio table, but without the casters and not as thick of a top.

I'm not worried about pouring it or reinforcing it, but I want to polish it and I'm not sure the best route.  Since it's just a coffee table, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on tools to polish it and it doesn't need to be the level of quality as a concrete counter top.  

Anybody know how to smooth it out nicely without spending a fortune on professional level tools?  I've got an angle grinder, 8" sander/polisher, orbital sanders and such.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I want a concrete top ping pong table.
I was reading about them online and they are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get pretty good results with wet/dry polishing pads on a variable speed  grinder, Harbor Freight has a variable speed control you can hook up a highspeed grinder to. You can get the pads and backing plate on ebay cheap.

ETA: Sealer can be had at Sherwin Williams for about $38 a gallon
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out what this guy did.  Concrete coffee table
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a really good write up.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can get pretty good results with wet/dry polishing pads on a variable speed  grinder, Harbor Freight has a variable speed control you can hook up a highspeed grinder to. You can get the pads and backing plate on ebay cheap.

ETA: Sealer can be had at Sherwin Williams for about $38 a gallon
View Quote

An angle grinder with a variable speed control?  Do the pads attach to a standard angle grinder?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Dirty jobs had an episode on this it seemed the form was the key to getting it smooth
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great link.

Two things I'd mention IMO.  

For the mold, if you want a hands up on rounded corners, take a bead of caulking and bead the corners.  Round and smooth it into a concave edge with a finger or whatnot.  Once it's set, concrete *should* release easily, but give you a slightly rounded edge.

Secondly, especially if dry sanding, but I'd do it as a whole, wear a good particulate filter.  Odds are that no serious health hazards would come from an hour of inhaled dust, but I'm not a fan of potentially fucking up my lungs.  Need em and all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

An angle grinder with a variable speed control?  Do the pads attach to a standard angle grinder?
View Quote

Use a mold that is flat and smooth to give yourself a good headstart, then it just becomes a problem of sealing and polishing the concrete.

ETA

I guess I should've clicked the link...
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dirty jobs had an episode on this it seemed the form was the key to getting it smooth
View Quote

If I was doing a project like this, I would build a jig that would allow me to slide the grinder back and forth across the table while keeping it nice and level. I could never get a surface that would make me happy just doing it by hand.

I got the idea from some of the setups that I've seen for flattening large wood slabs.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Where you at OP?  You can have one of these if you come get it. It 10" thick, but has a polished top (warehouse floor)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Just don't spill coffee on it, OP!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I just finished a table top for a big green egg. Turned out great.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes they attach to a grinder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0056JKIGG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482057834&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=wet diamond polishing pads&dpPl=1&dpID=61quvgV80pL&ref=plSrch&tag=vglnk-c102-20#
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Alot has to do with the prep. First thing is the mold, the better the mold the better the results. Using melamine board helps greatly with the final finish. Using caulk to round the edges work pretty good if you take your time. Much cheaper than concrete router bits. Second is the concrete mix. there are alot of formulas and some very expensive chemically cured concrete that is amazing, however Quikcrete countertop is cheap and easy with the plastisizers already added. Just don't demold it to quickly. and I usually cover with plastic, or keep it damp as it cures. A wet grinder with the diamond pads can be had for not alot of money and can yield great results depending on the mount of polish you want. With a little time and polishing pads you can take a crappy paver block and polish it like granite although the finish won't be as smooth as concrete. It will be when finished insanely heavy, be prepared when you demold and have to finish it, let alone when it is time complete the table.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where you at OP?  You can have one of these if you come get it. It 10" thick, but has a polished top (warehouse floor)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/174533/IMG-0126-109863.JPG
View Quote

You know, that would make one hell of a base for a lathe. Except for the whole inability to transport thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/174533/IMG-0126-109863.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in MN...so no go.  Also, at 10" thick, carrying them downstairs could maybe be a little bit of an issue.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alot has to do with the prep. First thing is the mold, the better the mold the better the results. Using melamine board helps greatly with the final finish. Using caulk to round the edges work pretty good if you take your time. Much cheaper than concrete router bits. Second is the concrete mix. there are alot of formulas and some very expensive chemically cured concrete that is amazing, however Quikcrete countertop is cheap and easy with the plastisizers already added. Just don't demold it to quickly. and I usually cover with plastic, or keep it damp as it cures. A wet grinder with the diamond pads can be had for not alot of money and can yield great results depending on the mount of polish you want. With a little time and polishing pads you can take a crappy paver block and polish it like granite although the finish won't be as smooth as concrete. It will be when finished insanely heavy, be prepared when you demold and have to finish it, let alone when it is time complete the table.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.

I found some wet polishers with pads on ebay for around $140 shipped.  I think I might go that route.   Kind of expensive for one small project, but I might do some end tables and maybe a new patio table if the coffee table goes well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Cheng Concrete is the website you seek for all the supply's you need. They are the authority on concrete counters and tables.

I have taken a couple classes with them, their technique and product is very good and opens up a shitload of possibilities from an artistic perspective.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cheng Concrete is the website you seek for all the supply's you need. They are the authority on concrete counters and tables.

I have taken a couple classes with them, their technique and product is very good and opens up a shitload of possibilities from an artistic perspective.
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top