Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2001 3:59:26 AM EDT
I'm 21 and I want to be a Police Officer. I've searched through numerous careers to choose from, but none hold any meaning for me. Ever since I was a kid I've always looked up to Police Officers with admiration and always wanted to be one. Even still, in these kinds of times, I still do wan't to be one. I want to be one of the good guys that make a difference in the world.

I dont really have the first clue on how to go about becoming a LEO. I'm sure I have to attend a Police Academy to go through training, but I dont know of any in the area. I was hoping any Orange County area LEO's could help me find some info on Academy's, and what is involved, what it costs, etc?? I'd like to basicly know what I need to do to get started and "in the door" so to speak.

Any info is much appreciated, Thanks!!!!! Rob
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Being a cop is just like any other job in that you have make yourself look as attractive as you can for your prospective employer.

There are plenty of agencies that don't require any education past High School,  but then there are others that require 4 years of college....

I don't know your educational profile,  but no matter what you do, GO TO SCHOOL. Find a college that offers a degree in Criminal Justice/ Law and Justice and go.  Not only will you get valuable info on the career that you want to get into, but once you achieve your degree, you will look MUCH more attractive to a prospective employer (accompanied with other skills of course). An educated cop is (typically) a more effective cop.

I understand that there are civilian police academies out there that one can attend, but at least up here in WA state, you get hired first than the agency sends you to the academy.

Good luck Rob.

PS just an aside to prepare yourself,  always know EXACTLY where you are at any time.  Play games with yourself as you are driving or walking. Ask yourself... "If shit were to go down right here, where am I?" so that you can call in the cavalry.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What?!!?

So you can kill blacks, harrass other minorites, violate my constitutional rights.....

WHOOPS

wrong thread [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Go down to the main station and ask about employment, or call them.  They will give you an app with a list of requirements just like any other job.

Some of the guys on this forum don't like LEO, but I think it is more of a dislike for stupid and arrogant people who think that they are the ultimate cop and don't need any help and don't make mistakes.  They have some bad experiences and cluster all LEO into a bad thing.  A lot of this is due to them being in the public eye a lot.  This is like clustering all lawyers as snakes and worms, or computer techs into glasses with tape wearing, suspender and pocket protector wearing nerds.  It is generalization and assuming, and you know what assuming gets you.  Just my rant.

Good luck,
Ice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top