Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2001 10:25:32 PM EDT
There was just a show on the History Channel about British Commandos and they have soooooo easy next to our guys.

And you should see there guns! There like bullpups with a big ass funny looking handel on top.

There training is so easy and the acted like it was a big game.

I don't really mean to be a smart ass about this but this was a VERY bad show that just did not really show us what the Commands are like or American R.O.T.C could kick the crap out of them.[(:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The SASR is a truly professional ultimate eliete force. Our English cousins have it down pat, Some of it might look easy, but fitness, endurance, practice, and professionalism make it 'seem' that way.

Its a hard and long battle just doing the barrier testing, and after you have made it thru the course, and are in the regiment itself, it has proven to be one of the most rewarding postings in one's career ever, and I am just a RAEME bloke (and thats easy work)!

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It's so easy that when Andy McNab went though the course he failed the first time and was one of the 13 out of the 230 that made it the second time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
(That's for the SAS)
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:19:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell us about the time the SAS stormed the embassy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was just a show on the History Channel about British Commandos and they have soooooo easy next to our guys.

And you should see there guns! There like bullpups with a big ass funny looking handel on top.

There training is so easy and the acted like it was a big game.

I don't really mean to be a smart ass about this but this was a VERY bad show that just did not really show us what the Commands are like or American R.O.T.C could kick the crap out of them.[(:)]
View Quote

There are no more "British Commandos". That's a WW2 term-nowadays, it's either the SAS or SBS, as well as some less-publicised units. These guys are very tough, very well-trained, and have undergone a rigorous vetting process.

I would not trust much of anything presented on the Hitler Channel to begin with..BTW if you were to join any other country's military, you would FORFEIT your US citizenship and risk a lengthy jail term at Club Fed if you ever came back to the US.

Still wanna join? :^)
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would anyone want to be a British Commando? That would require being British, with those teeth.....eeeewww!!    [:E]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW if you were to join any other country's military, you would FORFEIT your US citizenship and risk a lengthy jail term at Club Fed if you ever came back to the US.
View Quote

Aren't there some Americans who are reservists in the Israeli armed forces?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Do they have any literacy requirements?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I read (perhaps a review in Jane's) that British special forces are most highly respected among US special forces and are the first choice to work with in joint operation.  The British Royal Marines as I understand it, took on the "commando" role after the Korean War.  Any mission commandos are needed for are left up to the Royal Marines,... perhaps similar to US Rangers or US Marine Recon?  

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Umm, there are still Royal Marine Commando units, with the green berets and shoulder patches to prove it.

See:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/1905.html

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/1905.html

Adam
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
In addition to the Royal Marine Commandos there are the various support personnel that go through the all arms commando course in order to serve with the Royal Marine Commandos.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Who cares, man for man we would still kick their limey asses.
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shootout.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#15]
If you REALLY wanna go.....I think NSFJoJo has a line on where to get those really nifty commando sweaters.

[;)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL, alot of the SAS are Scots, not much decent work there, so the young join the Army. As for being an Israeli reservist, you are permitted under U.S. law to join. I know several Americans that were Airborne  in the IDF.
I love those who can't make it critizing those that do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the British SAS are the closest to our Navy Seals than any other SpecWar force in the world.  They are bad boyz!

As for the Scots...they just want to be where the shooting is.  It doesn't matter who they're shooting at as long as their gun is warm.  They more than any other culture have had a long historical tradition of being mercenaries.

Got to love 'em!
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Tailgate
The closet analogous to the SAS is SFOD, CAG, they were modeled after them after Col Beckworth did a exchange tour with the SAS.  The SBS or the German KSK would be much closer to the SEALs than the SAS.  

Spectre. Although you will find exceptions I generally think the English military is better man for man the US military.  The British have several advantages over the US when it comes to its military.  The first being a public that can separate morality from foreign policy (in the US we tend to apply morality to amoral situations like war), there is no freedom of the press when it comes to their military and unlike the US there has been constant use in numerous small conflicts to refine their skills and blood their troops. However, we often make up the personnel shortages by using more material than our English cousins.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Are they any good?  Everybody [b]still[/b] thinks Princess Di bought the farm in a random traffic accident don't they?

(and they do have the coolest sweaters to boot)
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Some of you guys need to cool down!

You must really be Brits. to so anal.[:|]

Every one knows the real SAS is a fine bunch,it was the SHOW that sucked and made it look as if it was summer camp.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

BTW if you were to join any other country's military, you would FORFEIT your US citizenship and risk a lengthy jail term at Club Fed if you ever came back to the US.

Still wanna join? :^)
View Quote

Bull shit!  Since when?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/669.html

It says:

(Please note that you have to be a British, Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland citizen to be eligible for service)
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Beer Slayer - you too? I thought I was the only one!
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Then you fell for my disguise. I actually had all my teeth pulled and wear cosmetic dentures to avoid tooth pulling torture if I am captured by the enemy.

The offensive smell was a secret chemical compound. My odor producing glands were removed to aid in covert operations - like back in sampang, dunang, and wampang. My code name was agent orange. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top