Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 9:29:52 PM EDT by jnewson]
I am going to spare you the details for now, but the basics are this:

My wife and I want to go on vacation for a few days.

We have found the perfect time of year and location (3rd week of Feb in Yellowstone, snowmobiling)

We have been married for just over a year, and the plan was to let our kids (7[mine] & 12[hers]) stay at my parent's house, and they would take them to school and pick them up.

My wife thinks that her daughter (the 12 yo) will whine and complain about going to my parents' house too much(even though she always has a good time there), so she wants to send her kid to her sister's, and let her skip school.

I think that this sets a bad precedent (Kids don't have to go to school), and between that and the fact that my wife wants to reschedule because she will be on her period that weekend, I am ready to cancel our winter vacation.

Input?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:31:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Daughter goes to school & you give in & reschedule to meet your wife's convenience.

+1
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:23 PM EDT

Daughter goes to school & you give in & reschedule to meet your wife's convenience.

I agree, but wife will not relent on the not making her kid go to school, because she doesn't want to be whined at.

I absolutely would not tolerate whining from my kid, but she seems to work her life around her kid's whining.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 9:36:40 PM EDT by 4xys2xxs]
My first piece of advice would be to tell you NOT to ask for advice on the GD boards at Arf!

But I agree with 82'nd, let your wife choose the weekend.

You might be able to get a "work contract" from her school, thats where they give your daughter work to complete during her absense, and turn in when she comes back. Its usually quite a bit of work. I would check with the school to see if this is available, then she could go to the sisters house, and do the schoolwork there. Otherwise I would send her to school.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:36:07 PM EDT
You do not want to go during her time of the month, try riding a snowmobile with a cork up your bung. If your wife thought to mention it, that means that she was thinking of a romantic weekend. Remember, if she's not having fun neither will you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:38:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jnewson:

I agree, but wife will not relent on the not making her kid go to school, because she doesn't want to be whined at.

I absolutely would not tolerate whining from my kid, but she seems to work her life around her kid's whining.

Her kid is going to have a rude awakening when she meets the real world.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:10:29 AM EDT
Kids should be in school. Shes a kid. She doesn't get to set the rules. The facts of this specific case are immaterial. The important consideration is this:As adults you need to set the rules and agree on what they will be, and display a unified front. THAT is the priority, especially with such a recently blended family. Allowing kids to create a rift in parental authority will cause long term problems in any step-parent situation. Been there, done that.
Top Top