Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 4:28:55 PM EST
Dual Sport or Dual Purpose? The kind that have lights, mirrors, license plates but yet can be taken into the woods, etc.

Who here has one? What model? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:29:29 PM EST
You gonna ride it on the street or dirt more?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:35:34 PM EST
Probobly street, maybe even as an occasional commuter but I really like the ones that look more off-road oriented. Also, the ones that are more geared for like 95% street riding seem to be much more money also.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:38:53 PM EST
Does this count?

Actually it really is 99% street. It does handle gravel roads pretty well though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:39:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2008 4:40:25 PM EST by nightstalker]
I want one too.

I've looked at many of them, never ridden them,( although I did have a dirt bike in the 80's}

Kawasaki has a 650 and a 250.

Yamaha has 2 new ones basically the same except one has road tires and the other a dirt type setup with a 21 in front wheel and knobbies. Wr250r and x are the models...around $5-6000 new. These are pretty fast compared to the two older ones, another 250cc and a 200cc that are mildly tuned.

Suzuki has a couple.

The really nice ones are the KTMs and the Husqvarna's but they're also more expensive. They have 650's on down to 250's. Cheapest is around $6300.

You can find some good deals on slightly used bikes on Craigslist and sometimes Cycle trader.com

My choice will be either a Yamaha WR250X or a Husky TE250 if I go new. KTM 450 used.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:39:51 PM EST
Husqvarna 510
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:40:02 PM EST
BMW gs1200 is the way to go! I'm planning on owning one sometime.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:40:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By shootemup:
Husqvarna 510

I have ridden one, they haul balls for a dual sport type bike.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:41:01 PM EST
Here ya go big boy.

link

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:41:40 PM EST
Just sold a 91 DR 350. Found it at a yard sale for $250. It had a bad stator.

Found the stator on E ghey for $100. Sold the bike for $1100.

This time of the year is a good time to buy. Prices will come up in the spring for used bikes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:42:21 PM EST
I got diced bad by a guy on a supermoto up in the N. GA mountains last year. Fucker was sliding the back out around the turns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:42:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By sslocal:
Here ya go big boy.

link

www.husqvarnausa.com/2008/images/bikes/DS_TE610_01.jpg

That's badass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:44:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By larkinmusic:
Does this count?
i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/larkintulsa/IMG_0169.jpg

Actually it really is 99% street. It does handle gravel roads pretty well though.

Wow! Nice bike. There's a guy up here that restores those things. He loves the old British bikes. He used to race them. Dude has trophies covering his walls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:44:29 PM EST
If you are just kicking around 10-20 miles each way I would recommend a 06-07 KLX250S

They are a blast to ride once you do a rejet,de smog & open up the exhaust, You can also get them at a good price now that Kawasaki is releasing the 09 version this February.

This is a pic of one in SM trim, not mine but you will get the idea.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:45:04 PM EST
WOW, the huskies are NICE!!! But very pricey.

On the other hand, I see that there's a dealer very close to my house that I was unaware of.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:47:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By boarslayer15:

This time of the year is a good time to buy. Prices will come up in the spring for used bikes.

I hate you.

I used to have a Suzuki TS125 (my first bike).. Back then, we called them Enduros, but they also didn't cost as much as "Dual Sports"

I'd love to get another one, but it'd have to be bigger - at least a 250.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:48:05 PM EST
I've had two, a Honda XR650L and a Suzuki DR650. My riding was about 50% road and 50% dirt. The Honda was was my pick as the best. It was much more capable off road and didn't give up much to the Suzuki on the road. The Suzuki handled a bit more predictably on pavement in the corners. the Honda was quite a bit more powerful than the Suzuki and more fun to ride. I guess if I spent 90% of my time on the road, I would pick the Suzuki - but it would need to have some mods done for more power. The Honda had been un corked - smog stuff deleted and exhaust, airbox/filter opened up, then re jetted and carb modified. the bike really came alive then. Even before the mods it was clearly faster and more powerful than the Suzuki.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:51:58 PM EST

VLODPG, I like that Kawi!

Dumb question: What kind of MPG could you get on one of these, say in the 250cc range?

I have a 120 mile round trip commute twice a week and if I could eek out a gas savings over my car it could help me justify the purchase to my better half.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:55:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tango7:

Originally Posted By boarslayer15:

I hate you.

I used to have a Suzuki TS125 (my first bike).. Back then, we called them Enduros, but they also didn't cost as much as "Dual Sports"

I'd love to get another one, but it'd have to be bigger - at least a 250.

I have a pretty nice one of those sitting in my shop right now. It's not mine, though. I had to weld up his kick start and I'm going to stick a carb kit in it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:56:10 PM EST
Any of the bigblock enduros will do just fine. Enough speed for the street and can roost in the trails.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:02:57 PM EST
You really have to look at how you will spend most of your time riding. If most of it will be on the road and you plan to commute more than a couple of miles then something like a Suzuki V-Strom or Buell Uly would probably be a better choice- they will do gravel/fire roads fine (with decent tires) and be much more comfortable for longer riding. If you won't be going far and you want to blast it off road, jump, etc then look into something like the DR-Z400.

I ended up with a DL650 and I'm happy with it. I had really wanted a KLR650, but a huge thumper really is a mixed bag. Realistically, there aren't enough dirt areas close to me to justify a more dirt oriented bike. I spend a lot more time commuting on the highway where the V-twin, good powerband and (limited) fairing are nice. It also does fine on the forest service roads as long as I'm careful (switching to more aggressive tires would help, but then they don't last as long either).

I would highly recommend doing some reading on the Adventure Rider forums.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:07:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By maddog_enigma:

Dumb question: What kind of MPG could you get on one of these, say in the 250cc range?

I have a 120 mile round trip commute twice a week and if I could eek out a gas savings over my car it could help me justify the purchase to my better half.

While you can expect a big savings in fuel, you have to remember that you will change tires a lot more often than you will on your car (aggressive tires run on the street may only last 3,000 miles; even touring tires are doing good to get over 10,000). Add to this the fact that you have to buy a bunch of specialized gear- helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves (and these change during the seasons) and it gets more expensive.

I love riding, but you have to be realistic about the costs- it ain't really cheaper than running what ya already got.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:07:35 PM EST
This was mine before I sold it, street legal direct from KTM...

Freshly washed in motard trim...

I wish I had more time to ride it..
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:12:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
You really have to look at how you will spend most of your time riding. If most of it will be on the road and you plan to commute more than a couple of miles then something like a Suzuki V-Strom or Buell Uly would probably be a better choice- they will do gravel/fire roads fine (with decent tires) and be much more comfortable for longer riding. If you won't be going far and you want to blast it off road, jump, etc then look into something like the DR-Z400.

I ended up with a DL650 and I'm happy with it. I had really wanted a KLR650, but a huge thumper really is a mixed bag. Realistically, there aren't enough dirt areas close to me to justify a more dirt oriented bike. I spend a lot more time commuting on the highway where the V-twin, good powerband and (limited) fairing are nice. It also does fine on the forest service roads as long as I'm careful (switching to more aggressive tires would help, but then they don't last as long either).

I would highly recommend doing some reading on the Adventure Rider forums.

this man speaks the truth.

I do most of my riding on pavement, and end up venturing off road from time to time, so the buell ulysses was the bike for me.

after a little work, it's a respectable bike, on and off road.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:12:33 PM EST
For your 120 mi. commute you will need an aftermarket 3+ gallon tank. Nearly everyone gets the bigger tank after market.

Kawasaki will be the cheapest I'm pretty sure. The new ones look pretty capable, the 250s. I live in CA and there is some doubt whether they will sell it there because of tougher licensing etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:13:06 PM EST
I just bought this one last week, traded in my truck on it.

I think I'm getting like 50mpg+ but not sure.

2008 Honda XR650L
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:19:13 PM EST
I've been thinking about one of these as well. Good info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:32:16 PM EST
You have to really take your time and consider the style of riding you will want to do with it as well as your riding abilities before choosing a bike.

It is not likely that you will find the bike that is perfect for you in all types of riding conditions. You will most likely need to make some compromises just like with anything else in life.

Mine is a '01 Kawasaki KLR650. Most choose the KLR for somewhere around 80% road/20% offroad use. I being a big guy at 6'4" 300lbs needed a larger bike to get me around the woods. So, I chose the KLR for its size, and engine torque, also I liked the large flat seat like the ones I grew up with on the older trail bikes.

Over all I've been very pleased with my KLR and would give up all my other bikes before it would go. I did upgrade the suspension... The front springs are weak and cause the bike to dive when braking and the rear spring due to my size/weight. The brakes are good for offroad, but they are not the best for the street. There are upgrades available for the brakes as well. Such as stainless brake lines to begin with.

Keep in mind that mine is not the same as the new models. I think they made the model that I have for about 15 years with very little change. The bike has been popular with world travelers and the military, but the military's is a diesel version.

Good luck in your search!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:57:34 PM EST

ps:
fixing shit at 2am -- in the rain!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:07:01 PM EST
KTM, nothing else can do it off road, the rest are just street bikes with high fenders are a extra inch or so of soft suspension travel. I race a CRF450X in the desert but my dual purpose is a KTM EXC
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:08:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By fla556guy:
BMW gs1200 is the way to go! I'm planning on owning one sometime.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:09:34 PM EST
KLR 650 FTW !!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:12:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2008 6:22:11 PM EST by VLODPG]

Originally Posted By maddog_enigma:

I am getting about 70 mpg on mine in stock trim!

Edit! Tires are cheap, so what if you go thru 1 set a season. At 1.9 gal, you would have to fill the tank up on both ways.

The KLX250S is a great bike for what it is, shure there are bikes that can do it faster, have better suspension,etc but it's a fun bike that fills the role for commuting,weekend trail riding the blast to the coffee shop. Would I want to do long hauls on the interstate with it? Nope, but I will be doing some interstate weekend road trips with it this spring .
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:17:58 PM EST
Recently bought a 2007 KTM 640 Adventure, so far so good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:20:36 PM EST

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:30:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2008 6:38:43 PM EST by Hoppy]
I ride a Harley most of the time, but I love my KLR.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:31:22 PM EST
The vintage ones a way cooler IMHO. I plan on getting one one day. I love the old Dual-Purpose" Enduro bikes. This one is for sale on Ebay right now.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:33:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:46:49 PM EST

Took this pic 11-12-07 It was a cold mama!

08 KLR 650

Love the bike a whole bunch

Patrick
Top Top