Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2016 10:02:45 PM EDT
I got a decent deal on a new to me 2500hd. But it seems like I'm going to need a new battery soon. It will still start the truck, but it it doesn't take long if the lights are left on to need a jump.

I put a stereo and amp in it, I also plan on pulling a small camper that can be charged while hooked up. So I want to just go with two batteries since the truck already has two battery trays.

I read that most stereo guys just run them parallel, but a lot of people also say an isolator is needed. I don't plan on running the stereo more than a few minutes without the truck running, and I'm going with identical new batteries.

Should I isolate them or no? It just seems like a solenoid or isolator would be another failure point.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Parallel.  Factory method.

I went 7 years on the original duals.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
A real brodozer has two batteries.  Who buys a gas 2500?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like a diesel but the cost of a low mile one is insane, I gave $13,900 for a new body 2007 6.0L extended cab with 72k miles. A similar diesel would be over 20k.

It's already overkill for my needs. Pulling a 2,000lb camper with a golf cart in the bed. That's the most I'll do with it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd like a diesel but the cost of a low mile one is insane, I gave $13,900 for a new body 2007 6.0L extended cab with 72k miles. A similar diesel would be over 20k.

It's already overkill for my needs. Pulling a 2,000lb camper with a golf cart in the bed. That's the most I'll do with it.
View Quote

You should be able to buy all the parts you need because there is (or was) an option on the diesel for dual batteries.
My 2008 (gas) already has the extra tray for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Parallel gives you more capacity, and easier wiring.  An isolator/solenoid gives you a backup in case the other fails.

Pick your solution based on what problem you're trying to solve.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you even have a brodozer in Britain?   Just kidding, the 6.0 is the way to go if you want a gas heavy duty truck.  I had an 03 6.0, but have since had two Duramaxes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you even have a brodozer in Britain?   Just kidding, the 6.0 is the way to go if you want a gas heavy duty truck.  I had an 03 6.0, but have since had two Duramaxes.
View Quote

Who's in Britain?   You're terrible with flags. Lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Won't you lose both if one fails in parallel?  Thought the dead one would drain the good one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Who's in Britain?   You're terrible with flags. Lol
View Quote

Um... Not sure how I came up with that.  Georgia.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Won't you lose both if one fails in parallel?  Thought the dead one would drain the good one.
View Quote

Pretty much.  It's done on diesels for more available amps for cranking and other heavy draw electronics (glow plugs, lights).  OP would probably benefit
Most from a better battery and higher amp alternator
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't the obvious solution be to not leave the lights on?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know the diesels are workhorses. I just don't need that big a horse. And hopefully the maintenance will be a little less.

I mostly needed the payload capacity. A 1,000lb golf cart, plus luggage, and the tongue weight of a camper. It probably would have been pushing it with a 1500 Silverado.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Parallel gives you more capacity, and easier wiring.  An isolator/solenoid gives you a backup in case the other fails.

View Quote

Real Bros run them in series.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much.  It's done on diesels for more available amps for cranking and other heavy draw electronics (glow plugs, lights).  OP would probably benefit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my dilemma, most people say they run just parallel for years, you just have to have two identical batteries of the same age. That way they charge and discharge the same.

The only way it would kill a battery then, is if one became faulty. A good battery comes with 3-5 yr warranty, I'd just exchange them both if a problem came up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's my dilemma, most people say they run just parallel for years, you just have to have two identical batteries of the same age. That way they charge and discharge the same.

The only way it would kill a battery then, is if one became faulty. A good battery comes with 3-5 yr warranty, I'd just exchange them both if a problem came up.
View Quote

As an owner of a dual battery vehicle, just get an upgraded alternator and a better rated battery.  Dropping 400-600 on new batteries every 4 or 5 years isn't that great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They put an isolator between the two batteries to stop it.
Once one battery is fully charged it opens to allow the second battery to charge.
Once the truck is shut off it will close to prevent the second battery from draining the main.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would 4awg work or would 2 be best? I don't really have a problem with anything, but I am going to wire a 1000 watt amp and two batteries would help prevent voltage drops.

Its possible I could use it camping, but 99% of our camping would be where there are power hookups. So it would mostly charge the camper battery while pulling it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I got here late, but this poster nails it!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why yes, I think it would.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you do, make sure to tuck your ears into your flat-bill hats...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not a battery switch like you run on a boat?  A, B, or both?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#27]
should you use a isolator

i don't know. can you core a apple?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm running a 1000 watt and a 400 watt digital amps in my 2500 ram diesel, and even with a 10 farad capacitor it will suck both batteries down past 12 volts when the bass drops, very quickly, even with the engine running.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Isolator is mostly for situations where you're worried about draining a battery using it while the truck is off.

If you aren't planning on that, parallel is fine
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fo shizzle.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Would 4awg work or would 2 be best? I don't really have a problem with anything, but I am going to wire a 1000 watt amp and two batteries would help prevent voltage drops.

Its possible I could use it camping, but 99% of our camping would be where there are power hookups. So it would mostly charge the camper battery while pulling it.
View Quote
Two batteries will not prevent voltage drop.  Voltage drop is based on amount of current and size of wire.  If voltage drop is your concern go with larger cable.  

I say get an isolator, all of your stereo, lighting, and auxiliary loads go on the second battery.  If you kill that one you still have a starting battery. 
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Yo STOP!!!

Collaborate & listen. Series or parallel is the decision.

CIRCUITS grab ahold of me tightly. Will it stop flowing, yo I don't know.

Volts or amps add, YO, I don't know...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Isolate. That way you have a house battery and starting battery.

There's multiple kits out there or you can DIY.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Just get an 18-wheeler battery.  That's the way to do brodozer brah.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Diesel pickups, dump trucks, tractors, and even most military vehicles I have experience with just wire them in parallel.  Unless 24v is needed, that needs series.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Parallel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 or larger.  If one battery is far away, even larger.

At large currents and low voltages, even small resistances are a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:18:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Use a solenoid it allows the most flexibility in the system. RamchargerCentral how-to on wiring
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm running a 1000 watt and a 400 watt digital amps in my 2500 ram diesel, and even with a 10 farad capacitor it will suck both batteries down past 12 volts when the bass drops, very quickly, even with the engine running.
View Quote

Same here.  More batteries will only store power, not generate it.  A big stereo will suck more power than your stock alternator can provide and more batteries won't solve the problem.

Upgrade your alternator. 

Won't hurt anything to also add a 2nd battery or farad capacitor too.  Put it on an isolator so if you do run your main battery down you'll have a backup.  Farad capacitor would be cheaper than another battery.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#41]
OP, your stock wiring system is 12v.  Add a second battery in series and bump that to 24v.  Then your stereo system will have twice the power to crank out the bass.

J/K  Don't do that.  Larger alternator, second battery, capacitor, automatic battery isolator that will automatically keep both batteries charged.  Wire your amp(s) to the second battery.  Use welding wire if you can find it, much more flexible.  Crimp on lugs with heat shrink, grommets, fuses.  

Electrician here and I used to install car audio back in the day.  I can remember the day like it was yesterday when I upgraded from cassette to CD.  I lived in chiraq so I had the head unit and EQ on quick disconnects so I could take them in the house every night.  

Wired up a system for friend, new head unit, amp, speakers and dumbass went around bragging by cranking up the bass.  The next morning he discovered the head unit and amp was stolen overnight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top