Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:03 PM EDT
I'm not a photographer or anything, but I'd like to upgrade my camera (own a Canon PowerShot SD900). The one I have nice nice, but it fails rather badly with macro and some other things. I'd like a nicer camera, but I'm not shelling out for one of the big DSLRs.

Anyone have an opinion on the G-11 vs. the new Nikon P7000. I know the Nikon isn't out yet and the previous version got a pretty bad rap, but how do the specs look to people with photo experience?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonp7000/

I don't know what a bunch of those numbers mean, the only positive I can find with the G-11 is the menus are pretty close to my current Canon. Only thing I don't like about the Nikon is the view finder is only 80%, though not sure how much it would matter for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Canon S90 which has the same internals as the G11 but has a more compact body and it's a very nice little camera.  Canon has announced the S95 and should announce a G12 soon if they haven't already.  That means good deals on teh older models.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, the G12 has been leaked, I'll consider it when it comes out. I may see if I can get a deal on a G-11. Been reading some forums and Nikon seems to have a pretty lousy rep in this category of camera.

I'd like to be able to shoot HD video, though I have no idea if I ever would.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are some test pics I did a few days ago with my G11

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68996106@N00/4966167801/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68996106@N00/4966154665/

Those were at ISO 400 btw. Happy with it so far, the flip out screen has been handy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
get an EVIL camera. the olympus PEN series has been pretty favorably reviewed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm not a photographer or anything, but I'd like to upgrade my camera (own a Canon PowerShot SD900). The one I have nice nice, but it fails rather badly with macro and some other things. I'd like a nicer camera, but I'm not shelling out for one of the big DSLRs.

The Canon XS isn't much of a jump in price over a G11

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A little larger than what I'm looking for... If I wanted to go that size, I'd get a D90 or 5000. I have the coin, just not the spirit, nor the experience. I want something with a better 'sensor' (I guess it's called). I'm thinking the G-11/G-12 or P7000 would be the next logical step up. Kinda like .22 rifle, Glock/M&P, 1911. I'm at the Glock stage now

I'm becoming really impressed with the G-11 reviews and photos, less impressed with Nikon's reputation in this field. I think I may just get a G-11 and if the G-12 turns out to be some great improvement, we'll I'll just live with a G-11.

I am simply amazed though at how much more knowledge plays than equipment. A friend who is a professional photographer messed with the setting on my SD900 and took pictures that were noticeably better than me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A little larger than what I'm looking for... If I wanted to go that size, I'd get a D90 or 5000. I have the coin, just not the spirit, nor the experience. I want something with a better 'sensor' (I guess it's called). I'm thinking the G-11/G-12 or P7000 would be the next logical step up. Kinda like .22 rifle, Glock/M&P, 1911. I'm at the Glock stage now

I'm becoming really impressed with the G-11 reviews and photos, less impressed with Nikon's reputation in this field. I think I may just get a G-11 and if the G-12 turns out to be some great improvement, we'll I'll just live with a G-11.

I am simply amazed though at how much more knowledge plays than equipment. A friend who is a professional photographer messed with the setting on my SD900 and took pictures that were noticeably better than me.

I have an XSi and G11, the G gets taken with me much more than the XSi, but if I need the XSi, I have it.  
XSi:

G11:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the Canon Mark 2 for work and wanted a smaller camera for the car, trips, etc. Really wanted a Nikon but reviews haven't been kind to them and the Canon G11 seemed to have the features I needed and the quality/reviews I was looking for. I just picked one up this week for my trip to Hawaii and used the credit card points to pay for it.

I have heard initial talkingpoints on the G12 vs G11 and it seems like their wil not be much difference; at least not that much to matter for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I would opt for the G-11. The Canon G series performance has been outstanding for its class.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Delete. Double post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top