Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2012 2:46:40 PM EDT
I will try and make this as short and as organized as possible.

I got rid of my HD heritage softail about 3 years ago, and am looking at getting back onto something else. Im 6'3'' 220, just to help give you an idea of what I may be wanting to look at.

Lets pretend that price in not an issue. Im wanting a metric bike and Im open to all options. This will be mainly used for local rides within 50 miles of the house, so no need for a cruiser. The Ducatis have really caught my attention, but Im not sold on the sound of them over something like an R1 or the like. There is a road course about 80 miles from my house that at some point I may like to try out with whatever I end up with.

Im looking to acquire something in the next 3 months once my house is done, so any help would be greatly appreciated

As a side note. I have ridden CBR's and GSXR's from 600-1000. I prefer the larger motor.

UPDATE

In the last few weeks I have had the opportunity to take a ride on a few Japanese liter bikes. 2010 GSXR1K, 2009 CBR1K

My initial impressions based on my limited experience with these bikes have me leaning towards the CBR at the moment. From a beginners stand point, it was the easiest bike to get on and just "go". I felt comfortable and confident the moment I got on. It is also a little better in the ergonomics department than the Suzuki, but not enough that I would turn down the GSXR if I came across a good deal. IMO the Suzuki looked better than the CBR.

Im still shopping around, and will more than likely try and find one this winter/fall towards the end of the riding season and pay cash. I figure I will get a better deal doing it like this, and I have less chance of being killed by my wife for buying something before the house is done!    

Any more input would be appreciated. Thanks for the help up until this point.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty partial to the Diavel myself.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides the Duck, you could consider a Yamaha R1, or the BMW superbike, RR1200RS or something like that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/dcloudy777/diavel1.jpg

Very cool!! How does she ride?

ETA: How is it compared to a more classic "superbike" style like the CBRs? Handling? What RPM are you shifting at? Hows the power? I dont know why, but that thing looks awesome. I really need to try one of these out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The 2012 CBR1000RR is sweet.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was in the market for a sportbike....

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]

these are my choices

ETA

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The RC8s look so damn sexy.  Don't know much about how they perform though, but the look and the sound make my pants tight.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/dcloudy777/diavel1.jpg

I hate you with passion right now!  I was going to pick up that special edition from the local dealership, and some guy bought it before I could get there in time!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]
@ 6-3 and 220 lbs. I would look into some big Dual Sports/ADV bike.

Taller seat height and way more leg room. I have an FZ1 and with a 30" inseam on a good day, I am cramped up.

Had to fab up some highway pegs to stretch out

BMW 1200 GS(A).

DUC Multistrada

Triumph Tiger 800/1200 (Yes, the 1200 is on the floors now)

If you like wrenching, the 990 ADV

If you want to wait a few months (6 or so)

the 2013 Caponord will be out

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got rid of my HD heritage softail about 3 years ago, and am looking at getting back onto something else. Im 6'3'' 220, just to help give you an idea of what I may be wanting to look at.

Lets pretend that price in not an issue. Im wanting a metric bike and Im open to all options. This will be mainly used for local rides within 50 miles of the house, so no need for a cruiser. The Ducatis have really caught my attention, but Im not sold on the sound of them over something like an R1 or the like. There is a road course about 80 miles from my house that at some point I may like to try out with whatever I end up with.

Im looking to acquire something in the next 3 months once my house is done, so any help would be greatly appreciated

As a side note. I have ridden CBR's and GSXR's from 600-1000. I prefer the larger motor.

I am the same size as you.  

I sold my fat boy a few years ago...

I was torn between the triumph speed triple and some of the Ducati bikes, like the monster 1100 evo.

Then I saw the 848 Streetfighter.  I bough one and love it.

Amazing sound, great power, smooth delivery, traction control, and some wild Italian styling.

It's not for everyone, but i love it.  I get a lot of comments on it.

Did I mention the sound it makes?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Any consideration for the Triumph Speed Triple?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Gen2 Busa, 2012 ZX14 or BMW S1000RR

If your interested in a better riding position, Kawasaki Concours 14..
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
If you were going used, I'd say K5 GSXR1000 or a 2008 or newer CBR1000RR

If you wanted the best new liter bike out there - S1000RR with out question.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

not really...

It is in the top 3, but not the best.

RSV =#1

Toss up between the SS1000RR and the R1
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Im liking the looks of the naked style bikes, but that KTM is damn sexy!

The Ducati Diavel and Streetfighter seem to be hanging out at the top of my list right now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I rode the Streetfighter... it was a hoot, but I didn't really fit (36" inseam, I felt like I could work the clutch and brake levers with my knees).  The Diavel is an incredible bike.  I'm over 1000 miles on it now, and it keeps getting better.  The handling is the biggest surprise.. I was not expecting it to be so agile.  The sound is awesome, and doesn't sound "manufactured" like a lot of bikes.  The power is... humbling.  It's such a relaxed riding position that you forget about the power, until you roll on a bit of throttle and stuff starts going by way faster...  Expensive Desmo valve maintenance is down to every 2yr/24,000 miles now, and that ridiculous back tire is actually less than $200!  (I checked before I bought the bike).

GuitarGuy... mine is the bone base black model.  I looked at the Carbons, and the AMG models, I just couldn't justify the money.  Basically paying 3-6 grand for about 10 pounds and a little bling.  The bikes are all identical mechanically throughout the range.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I rode the Streetfighter... it was a hoot, but I didn't really fit (36" inseam, I felt like I could work the clutch and brake levers with my knees).  The Diavel is an incredible bike.  I'm over 1000 miles on it now, and it keeps getting better.  The handling is the biggest surprise.. I was not expecting it to be so agile.  The sound is awesome, and doesn't sound "manufactured" like a lot of bikes.  The power is... humbling.  It's such a relaxed riding position that you forget about the power, until you roll on a bit of throttle and stuff starts going by way faster...  Expensive Desmo valve maintenance is down to every 2yr/24,000 miles now, and that ridiculous back tire is actually less than $200!  (I checked before I bought the bike).

GuitarGuy... mine is the bone base black model.  I looked at the Carbons, and the AMG models, I just couldn't justify the money.  Basically paying 3-6 grand for about 10 pounds and a little bling.  The bikes are all identical mechanically throughout the range.

Talk to me about this valve maintenance. Standard stuff for the Ducs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  The air cooled bikes get maintenance every 7500 miles and the new testastretta 11* liquid cooled engines in the diavels and 848 super bike/Streetfighter get their first valve maintinence at 15,000 miles IIRC.

Ducatis have no Valve springs and run a desmodromic valve system.  So every so often you need to recheck the tolerances and re shim if needed.  Everyone will now pile on and tell you that it's a huge deal and ducati sucks, but I don't view a valve maintinence on a v twin that revs to 11000 rpm to be a major flaw, when it's every 15k miles.

Now the older ducs are different story...
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.  Most of the lineup is 12K intervals, then there's the belts.  Actually surprised teh Diavel is at 24K (are you sure about this?), and at the cost of the rear tire.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Valve adjustments are pretty standard on most any bike.  The Ducatis had a (probably deserved) rep for needing adjustment too often and for it costing too much.  The desmodromic system (valves don't have springs, they're actually cammed open and shut), just has "more going on in there" than traditional sprung valves.  Now the adjustment is basically once every 2 years (unless you ride the hell out of it), which means it probably still won't be cheap, but the interval is comparable to most other bikes now.

DanO

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a big guy a little bigger than you, I bought a hayabusa limited edition. It is exactly what I want from a sportbike.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#22]
15,000 miles, sorry (I'm on some pretty groovy cold medicine, no riding for me).  As for the tire, yep, I couldn't believer how cheap it was.  $190.99 shipped at Motorcycle Superstore everyday.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm 6'5".....I've had a few sport bikes over the last 10 years (CBRF3, 600RR, 1000RR).  NONE are what I would call "comfortable". They are designed for little guys.....not tall big guys.  If you want a sport bike, you are going to have to get used to being uncomfortable while on it.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#24]
What is your price range? I'm not really suprised that nobody asked.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In OP

"Lets pretend that price in not an issue."

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

not really...  

RSV =#1

Show me one rag test putting the Ape ahead of the S1K.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not really...  

RSV =#1

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/season/standings.html

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

not really...  

RSV =#1

A.  A WSBK machine is so far removed from a road going model it's ignorant to even mention it.  Kind of like saying : Look, my Toyota Camry is a race car - look, they race them in Nascar.

B.  Marco Melandri has won more races on the Bimmer this year than Max on the Ape.  Your point?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not really...  

RSV =#1

A.  A WSBK machine is so far removed from a road going model it's ignorant to even mention it.  Kind of like saying : Look, my Toyota Camry is a race car - look, they race them in Nascar.

B.  Marco Melandri has won more races on the Bimmer this year than Max on the Ape.  Your point?

I agree, EXCEPT, the RSV4 is pretty much right off the showroom floor. Obvious suspension and race tech stuff, the  driveline is pretty much stock.

BMW, Yammy, Honda and the rest are not even the same machines.

KTM is about like Aprilia, "race ready". I am pretty sure no other company can say that.

I think that is why I like for the Euro bikes.

It is also why I wont own a BMW, and why I REALLY dislike Honda. The Baja Honda bikes are prime examples.

The old XR650 is not even close to what you used buy on the showroom floor.

I have friends all over the bike industry, from exhaust mfgs, to factory test riders.

One guy I know was an offroad instructor for the BMW factory in SC, he does not race BMW, rides an APE.

That should say something. Yeah I know about the 1200 GSA at Ezrburgh.....not the same GSA you buy.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Every time I turn on a race it seems like a bmw rider is crashing.

That said they seem to be the fastest bike on straights.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Money no issue?

Import a Honda CB1300

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Ducati and know a few other bikers in the area with Ducatis. They are fun to ride, but are maintenance intensive. It's not hard to maintain actually, just more in frequency compared to a Japanese bike.

Build quality is mediocre to acceptable. They use lots and lots of zip ties, and the fueling isn't designed that well on some of their bikes.

If you don't like the sound of the Ducati engine, don't get one. There's really nothing else that is appealing over a Japanese bike aside from the brand name and styling. I find that the Ducati sound is fun at first, but it's basically a Harley-Davidson running at a faster RPM with a more refined sound due to the exhaust layout and engine design.

The Yamaha R1 with the crossplane crank actually sounds very nice, although my preference is for a good V4.

I'd say check out the Aprilia RSV4 or Aprilia if you want an Italian bike. For Japanese, I'd go with Honda or Yamaha.

Check to see if you have any Ducati dealers in the area. They aren't widespread.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Check to see if you have any Ducati dealers in the area. They aren't widespread.

Wanted to emphasize this.  Granted, we have the internet to order parts from, but the lack of a nearby BrandX dealer may be something to think of.  No Aprilia, MV Agusta dealers anywhere within half days ride from me.  Wanted a KTM, but wasn't willing to lsug it out fighting through teh city to get there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanted to emphasize this.  Granted, we have the internet to order parts from, but the lack of a nearby BrandX dealer may be something to think of.  No Aprilia, MV Agusta dealers anywhere within half days ride from me.  Wanted a KTM, but wasn't willing to lsug it out fighting through teh city to get there.

There is a Ducati dealer about and hour from my house across state line. Still keeping all of my options open however,
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Is it the Duc shop over in Springfield IL? They are supposedly one of the best in the Country, guys ride from all over to get their bikes serviced there, My 848 will be making that same trip sometime after this season.. Ducati of Indy is supposed to be pretty good also.

As to the Diavel, awesome machines, the one I rode was fun, the power is truly unbelievable for the style of bike that it is.

If the shop is within an hour, and money isn't all that much of an object, just get the damn Duc, lol, you will NOT regret it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is it the Duc shop over in Springfield IL? They are supposedly one of the best in the Country, guys ride from all over to get their bikes serviced there, My 848 will be making that same trip sometime after this season.. Ducati of Indy is supposed to be pretty good also.

As to the Diavel, awesome machines, the one I rode was fun, the power is truly unbelievable for the style of bike that it is.

If the shop is within an hour, and money isn't all that much of an object, just get the damn Duc, lol, you will NOT regret it.

Agree.  

I would like to try riding a diavel.

And a multistrada.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

not really...  

RSV =#1

I agree, EXCEPT, the RSV4 is pretty much right off the showroom floor. Obvious suspension and race tech stuff, the  driveline is pretty much stock.  

BMW, Yammy, Honda and the rest are not even the same machines.

KTM is about like Aprilia, "race ready". I am pretty sure no other company can say that.
I think that is why I like for the Euro bikes.
It is also why I wont own a BMW, and why I REALLY dislike Honda. The Baja Honda bikes are prime examples.
The old XR650 is not even close to what you used buy on the showroom floor.
I have friends all over the bike industry, from exhaust mfgs, to factory test riders.
One guy I know was an offroad instructor for the BMW factory in SC, he does not race BMW, rides an APE.
That should say something. Yeah I know about the 1200 GSA at Ezrburgh.....not the same GSA you buy.

Show us how many local and national racers are running an Aprilla here in the US.  

As a former racer, I'll tell you it ain't race ready.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The closest one is motorworks Chicago. The Indy shop is 2 hours and the Springfield shop is about 3ish.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Money no issue?

Import a Honda CB1300

http://i.imgur.com/FHJQw.jpg

I like the way you think.

Sharp looking bike.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I really want to like the V-Max. But damn, do they have to put the stupid chrome louver deal on each side of the tank? I looks tacky and I cant like tacky.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I almost bought a monster 1100evo however I decided to save my money as my riding time has gone to nil with a 1.5 year old.  I did sit on a Honda CB1000R and LOVED the way it felt, I just hate the wheels and the fact that it ONLY comes in black.

My previous bike (my second) was a 2007 Suzuki GSXR600.  I liked it, but want more low end power and a more upright riding position for comfort.  I also want to check out the Triumph Speed Triple, but the Triumph dealer is in an area of the city I don't frequent.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I really want to like the V-Max. But damn, do they have to put the stupid chrome louver deal on each side of the tank? I looks tacky and I cant like tacky.

Those are one of the things that makes the vmax stand out as a max.

I remember thinking there is no way they could be that much faster than my VTX

Boy was I wrong
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I want to love the V-Max, but that's a bike that would probably kill me.

I'm just going to admire it from afar.

Personally, I love the louver, but that's all personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Meh... the VMax wants to be the Diavel when it grows up.    The 'Max is a rocket in a straight line, but ridiculously heavy and handles like a dump truck (IMHO).  Save 3 grand, get the Diavel, go 99% as fast in the 1/4 mile, way, way better handling in the bends.  And it sounds better.  And it looks much better.  And it's a Ducati.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In OP

"Lets pretend that price in not an issue."

Well, then I tend to have to agree with the Honda CB1300.

But I do like the look of the BMW S1000RR and the new Honda CBR1000RR.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#46]
There is one solution here you should be looking very, very hard at, that some folks have mentioned already - the Ducati Multistrada 1200.  

I'm not even a big Ducati guy (as I'm not a Starbucks fan), but this bike is really different.  It's not a porky, wannabe-offroader "adventure tourer" as some (even Ducati sometimes) would want you to believe.

This is truly a superbike that you can ride pretty much all day.  It has all of the suspension tricks, a monster of an engine, and an extremely roomy, comfortable seating position.  Basically, a sportbike without the compromise for street use.  

That is, if money is truly no object.  There's not much else quite like the MTS.  There's the Kawasaki Versys, which is amazingly close in execution, just with a much smaller engine, a less sophisticated suspension and braking package, and is 1/2 the price.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There is one solution here you should be looking very, very hard at, that some folks have mentioned already - the Ducati Multistrada 1200.  

I'm not even a big Ducati guy (as I'm not a Starbucks fan), but this bike is really different.  It's not a porky, wannabe-offroader "adventure tourer" as some (even Ducati sometimes) would want you to believe.

This is truly a superbike that you can ride pretty much all day.  It has all of the suspension tricks, a monster of an engine, and an extremely roomy, comfortable seating position.  Basically, a sportbike without the compromise for street use.  

That is, if money is truly no object.  There's not much else quite like the MTS.  There's the Kawasaki Versys, which is amazingly close in execution, just with a much smaller engine, a less sophisticated suspension and braking package, and is 1/2 the price.  

The Multistrada caught my eye when I was looking over Ducatis website. It's another one to consider when I head to the dealer and take a look at the Diavel.

How come no one has mentioned(maybe someone did?) the Kaw Z1000? I think the thing looks sweet! The price seems right also, even for a new one.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#48]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current-gen Z1000.  It's a proven drivetrain, descended from the ZX-10R, rather than the older Z1000's ZX-9R-derived engine.  It's about 100cc bigger (1043cc vs 953cc), and a LOT less buzzy.  I have a Z750S (the old Z1000's smaller stablemate) that, though I just put 3000+ miles on it in the past week and a half, did its best to put my hands to sleep over that time.  The new model, which shares its platform and engine with the Ninja 1000, is simply a lot more refined.

Might make a good possibility - it's a lot more bottom-end-biased in its power delivery than its lineage may lead one to believe.  2011 models can be readily found, brand new, at around $8500 as well.  The same goes for the Ninja 1000, with full fairings and a larger fuel tank.  Reliability has never been an issue with Kawasaki's Z-bikes.  

I don't think it's as "good" as the MTS1200... but it's a damn sight less expensive (say, $9000-$10000 OTD, depending on if you buy a 2011 or 2012, compared to close to $18000 of the MTS).  Roughly half the cost... I guess even I hadn't realized that the base Multistrada's price is $17000 now.  Great, if money is no object.

I'd spend my own money on a Z or Ninja 1000 over any of the race-replicas (S1000RR or RSV4 included) any day, assuming I'm going to be using it on public roadways a vast majority of the time, with occasional track-fun days.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#49]
If you like the naked/streetfighter look.. the Super Duke R looks pretty awesome in my opinion.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Take a look at the Yamaha fz1 as well.

I think the Kawi is better looking but the fz1 is a good bike from what I've heard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top