Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2001 12:27:03 PM EDT
not a Glock. I have had many a Glock in the past and I want to try something else. I have heard good things about the EAA Witness 10mm. What are your opinions of the Witness?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
dont know about the witness but i did have the chane to shoot a 10mm 1911 it was err fun i would suggest finding a range that rents guns and if they have one rent it and try it out before u buy it
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Colt.
I have 2,both shoot well
Only adds are triggers
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you where to obtain this 10mm butt, what would you do with it?
If you do get it I’m not so sure you want a Witness.

Oh never mined. I get it now.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 10mm Colt Delta Elite.  With factory loads the recoil is fairly brutal.  If you look at the ballistics of the 10mm at the Winchester site, WWW.WINCHESTER.COM, you will see that it is quite a bit past 357Mag levels, and treading on 41Mag.  The range where I go shooting had a Colt 10mm for rent, and I know that they cracked the slide after 5,000 rounds.  I have also a LAR Grizzly with a 10mm conversion.  It is fairly pleasant to shoot since this gun is built to shoot 45 WIN Mag rounds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A few other 10mm's haven't been mentioned: Springfield Armory's Omega.  It was a beefy looking 6" barrelled 1911 style handgun.  It wasn't made for very long and is probably pricey if you can find it.  Same holds true for the Bren Ten (by Dornaus & Dixon).  Some of you might even remember Sonny Crockett using this in Miami Vice. This auto was the original 10mm made for this cartridge.  I remember an ad for another pistol, Wyoming Arms?  Never saw one in person though.

S&W's Model 610 has an N framed six-shooter.  They discontinued it and then brought it back (at a higher price) last year.  You would need moon clips but it would take 40 S&W as well as 10mm (although I'm not advocating purchasing from S&W).

As warlord said, factory loadings can be brutal.  This is especially true if you got a hold of the original Norma loads.  I remember the ad copy stating that they were equivalent to .41 Mag loads.  A 200gr slug pushed to 1200 fps.  By the time I got my first 10mm, a Colt Delta Elite, the ammo companies were already downloading their ammo.  So factory ammo is probably kind of wimpy (but better for your pistol's longevity).  What I'm more interested in is how full power 10mm's perform from a stronger platform such as the HK MP 5/10.  A longer barrel and stronger action should allow full power loadings to reach their full potential.

Guns'n Ammo magazine had an article some time ago about handgun/carbine combos.  I'll have to dig it up but the jist of it was how much certain cartridges gained by being fired from a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A few other 10mm's haven't been mentioned: Springfield Armory's Omega.  It was a beefy looking 6" barrelled 1911 style handgun

What I'm more interested in is how full power 10mm's perform from a stronger platform such as the HK MP 5/10.  A longer barrel and stronger action should allow full power loadings to reach their full potential.
View Quote

Watchout for for the Springfield Omega,  they have twin extractors made by Stahl in Germany.  When you break one, it is impossible to find another, and you must have a gunsmith make one if you want to keep shooting it.

I have a Bren Ten also, when I shoot it, I use very light hand loads of only 5.5g Unique and a 175g lead bullet, in order not to beat up the gun.

A few years ago, I had the priviledge to shoot a full-size HK MP5 and a MP5/10(10mm).  You really knew it that you were NOT shooting the the 9mm Para version, recoil was real stiff.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a 10mm I'll sell you a clean Colt Delta Elite with 5 factory Colt mags. $750.00 shipped. I still have the box it came in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I do have experience with 10mm. My dad used to have a S&W model 1046 (I think that is the correct model no.) double action only. The reason I am looking at the Witness is that I can get a NIB full size with the Wonder Finish for $350. Or I can get a NIB carry comp, blued for $380.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Y not a Glockenator??

My 20 is the baddest pistol I own
(Not to mention the baddest pistol on the planet -15 rounds of a light .41 Magnum- Beat that--)

Dude, believe me. Get a 20. If Ergonomics are a problem, you can have the grip re-shaped.

Don't like the trigger> Get a connector.

Really dude. The 20 is the best handgun on earth.
Period.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
If ya gotta go 10mm, ya gotta go Glock. You're only fooling yourself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had 2 Delta Elites and shot another. First one didn't shoot very good. Second one shot great and one day I walked into gunshop and they had a Gold Cup Delta Elite. This shot great. Then I bought a used 610 S&W and liked it more than the rest. It really shoots well. Sold Gold Cup to cheap don't know why. Guess I had a dumbshit attack. I really like the 10. I have shot alot of 40's in the revolver and they shoot great also. Never shot a Glock and heard the Witness have frame cracking problems but tempted to buy one because of price. The Wyoming made was a Javelina I believe but know nothing of quality. I always liked 10 better than 45, don't know why. Good day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
My first 10mm was a Wyoming and it sucked, I have owned a Glock 20 ever since,about 8yrs now.
I have to agree, dont buy anything else, go with a Glock.  If you want to control the muzzle jump, buy a ported version.  I believe Glock makes a 6" barrel for them now.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
NOT INTERESTED IN GLOCKS? [:0] Are you suffering from some sort of mental condition affecting your reasoning?  Could it be you have not held and examined the mighty 29 "compact 10"?.  When God created the heavens and the earth, He made it possible for Glocks to be created.  My 29 is a work of art..graceful lines of compact power.  Try one and you too will become a glockaholic.  You cannot own too many Glocks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top