Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 6:25:37 PM EDT
i organized the campout for the survival forum to go to the Sam houston national forest, (just south of huntsville)

i went out to the site, to take pics, and look around before everyone else got there.

this is one of the pics i took.

i took this pic here (for those of us with google earth). its obiously pretty secluded.

N 30 28' 05.83"
W 95 37' 60.34"

elevation 262 feet.

i took it right next to a 1 acre lake.

there were a few more, but this one is the best. it is unaltered in any way.

i am under the impression, that big cats walk with thier claws in, and dogs with them out.

the pic has only been cropped by me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't see the pic at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm glad i dont have to track anything.  i cant see shit.

ETA: IBN_T
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
it was too big. i fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, its fixed.

I think its a Cat, can't remember my tracks real good right now...

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, definitely a bigfoot footprint.  Kill it with fire!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the left, rear of a big cat.  But its hard to tell without a size reference.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll send your pic to someone who knows for sure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, the telltale sign of a cat track is the way the "pad" in the center of the paw protrudes towards the middle toe "pads".
Like in your picture.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looks like the left, rear of a big cat.  But its hard to tell without a size reference.

it was about 5 inches across.

i measured it with my gerber tool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.ppp.org/prod/prods/00-03-eden/animals/tiger-side.jpg

hahaha. thats funny.

i looked at some prints online, and it doesnt look like a mountain lion now.

any other ideas?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#13]
A few years ago I saw a mountain lion just north of Bowie, Texas walking across my buds land. I wish I'd have had enough presence of mind to pick up my camera and snap a pic
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a print from a big dog.  no biggie.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's a print from a big dog.  no biggie.

its from a dog with no claws then.

any one else that migh know?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
shameless bump for more info.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
yes that is of a cat for sure, too bad you dont have a tape measure or ruler in that picture for scale .  but i would say 99 percent sure that it is a wild cat..
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
That's not a mountain lion.  

That's some mud.

Hey, you get a free bump out of my stupid answer...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That's not a mountain lion.  

That's some mud.

Hey, you get a free bump out of my stupid answer...

thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm, If you had a 5" cougar track that would be one hell of a cougar.  They are typically 3.5" - 4" across.  4" being large.

My initial thought was that it was some kind of cat  BC of it's round shape but I don't think it is (especially if it measured 5").  There are tons of coyote up there but this track is not from a coyote.  

I know the area you are speaking of very well and it does get some minor human traffic on the weekends so I wouldn't be surpised at all if it was a large domestic dog.  The center pad looks like it could be from a dog.

I wouldn't look too hard at it lacking the claw prints as the ground in your pic is very wet (possibly has been rained on).  This would have probably filled in claw marks or at least made them very difficult to make out.  Plus, owners do cut their dogs claws.  

Can't tell for sure as I'm not an expert but; some cougar distribution maps do show that the eastern cougar habitat stretches across the area you are talking about.  Would be pretty cool but I doubt it.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hmm, If you had a 5" cougar track that would be one hell of a cougar.  They are typically 3.5" - 4" across.  4" being large. i might have been mistaken on the size

My initial thought was that it was some kind of cat  BC of it's round shape but I don't think it is (especially if it measured 5").  There are tons of coyote up there but this track is not from a coyote.  

I know the area you are speaking of very well and it does get some minor human traffic on the weekends so I wouldn't be surpised at all if it was a large domestic dog.  The center pad looks like it could be from a dog. ture

I wouldn't look too hard at it lacking the claw prints as the ground in your pic is very wet (possibly has been rained on).  This would have probably filled in claw marks or at least made them very difficult to make out.  Plus, owners do cut their dogs claws.  there was NO rain. it was on the edge of a lake. it very well could be a dog with no claws. the tracks are VERY depp into the mud

Can't tell for sure as I'm not an expert but; some cougar distribution maps do show that the eastern cougar habitat stretches across the area you are talking about.  Would be pretty cool but I doubt it.   there have been a few sightings, and the TPWD people are really watching it closley.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top