Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/11/2002 11:22:17 AM EST
My grandbaby Justin (age 5) came for the weekend and we went to town to blow $10 that someone gave him. On the way, he noticed my ear plugs that hang from the rearview mirror. Justin: What are those for? Papa: Those are for when I shoot my gun. Justin: Why do you have two sets? Papa: So I can take someone with me, its more fun! Justin: Where is this place? Papa: Its just across the river do you want to go watch some people shoot? Justin: YEAH! Long........pause Justin: Are the guns plastic? Papa: No they are real. Justin: You mean they shoot REAL PEOPLE! Papa: (choking on laughter!)No just paper targets. Justin: OH! Really.....Long .......Pause (two miles worth) Justin: Papa, do they rent guns there? So we get there and he is just fascinated by the whole thing. The owner treats him just like an adult, calls him sir and everything. We get fixed up with safety gear and walk back to the firing line and the four guys inside all have 1911's and are blasting away. Justin is in shock! He cant believe he is actually there in the middle of it with brass flying everywhere! So I manage to drag him back to the counter and the owner says "Justin are you ready to try it?" Now he REALLY thinks he has died and gone to heaven when he is handed a youth model Remington .22 and a shoot and see target. We go to the back table for a quick safety lesson and then its back inside for some REAL quality time! He had a little trouble mounting the gun to his shoulder. First he wanted to tuck it in his armpit which put him about a foot high, and then he tried setting the butt ON his shoulder which put point of aim on the floor. He finally got it figured out and you should have seen the look on his face when that first green dot popped up on the shoot and see! Within about 10 more rounds, he was racking that bolt and sending them downrange like Carlos Hathcock himself! He went through 50 rounds like it was nothing. Then we went back out and he grabbed a donut and a coke, perched himself on a stool and flipped open a Guns & Ammo just like one of the regulars! No running around no noise no problem. On the way out he was given a Eddie Eagle vhs tape and invited to come back anytime! The problem is, He cant tell ANYONE! His mother and her whole family are SERIOUS anti's!!! He has been sworn to secrecy! And its BIG trouble if we get caught! But I'm not worried, I let him drive my car a month ago and he has managed to keep quiet about that! Better add one more to the pro gun side boys!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:52:49 AM EST
Keep Up The Good Work[:D] We need more Grandpas like you in this country[^]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:27:59 PM EST
This is such a great story. I hope I have the opportunity to share such an experience with my grandkids one day. ...but that's quite a ways down the road... the_reject
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:35:24 PM EST
That is an absolutely great story!! It is amazing how even a 5 year old once shown, can realize that shooting is really really cool. Great work, and good luck dealing with his family in future endeavors. Your are an excellent grandfather!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:40:41 PM EST
That's a really great experience for Justin. Too bad his family isn't open-minded enough to share his joy. Maybe, some day, he and Grandad can bring them around. Sometimes, all it takes is a little positive exposure to something they don't understand. Who was afraid of water before they were taught to swim? Good job, Grandpa! coyote3
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 2:11:11 PM EST
cool, bring 'em if you got em! (kids, to the range)
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 2:57:17 PM EST
Way to go Papa,
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:13:15 PM EST
Very lucky kid, I wish my grandfatehr could have shown me how to shoot. But I feel him around me when I do now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:20:37 PM EST
[beer] -T.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:24:54 PM EST
You should invite his Mom out to the range.
Top Top