Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 7:12:27 AM EDT
I was looking around for something that would fit her small hands and still be worth shooting when we ran across this nice little blued and wood gripped .380 that she liked.  She picked it up and pointed it around and thought that maybe it was just a little heavy but not that bad.  Then she picked up a Walther PPK and said she preferred the first one.

Unfortunately, I had to explain the straw purchaser thing, she has to get her card and we can buy it at the next show.

She was kind of mad that she couldn't walk out with it that day, but then again I was kind of pissed that I have to drive 50 miles week after next to pick up my purchase.

Bottom line is that this has been a great weekend.  She's excited about buying her first gun, and I'm happy that my girl is going to be going to the range with me.  It's great.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
My friend's girlfriend shot my Sig 220 a few weeks back, now she wants one of her own just like mine.  She's about 5'10" so she's a big one, no need for little pistols.  When I showed her the price it kind of turned her off to it, a little.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was looking around for something that would fit her small hands and still be worth shooting when we ran across this nice little blued and wood gripped .380 that she liked.  She picked it up and pointed it around and thought that maybe it was just a little heavy but not that bad.  Then she picked up a Walther PPK and said she preferred the first one.

Unfortunately, I had to explain the straw purchaser thing, she has to get her card and we can buy it at the next show.

She was kind of mad that she couldn't walk out with it that day, but then again I was kind of pissed that I have to drive 50 miles week after next to pick up my purchase.

Bottom line is that this has been a great weekend.  She's excited about buying her first gun, and I'm happy that my girl is going to be going to the range with me.  It's great.

Cheap bastard, buy it for here as a "Gift".
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Now maybe she will get invovled in changing CA gun laws?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I signed the petition to put a 2nd amendment right in the CA state constitution in front of her, she didn't sign.  I figure I'll live the example, and if she finds it attractive she'll join me.  After wading through all the BS paperwork and wait times and the card and everything she was a little more on my (our) side so maybe next time she'll sign it.

Today I'm going to pick up the CA handgun test book so she can study up on it.  Next week is the show in Bakersfield and she wants to buy it then.

And thank God, there weren't too many loony war recreators (I'm not too sure what they call themselves) dressed up in all kinds of military uniforms and pretending to fight the Civil War or whatever again.  I warned her about them but there was apparently just one guy that was still stuck in 1865.

Also, thumbs up to the vendors that had all kinds of junk from WWII, she really likes that time period and collects magazines from that time for the ads.  I don't know why but she likes the traditional stuff.  She has a Ladies Home Journal from the 40's that's about as PC as a lawn jockey.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I signed the petition to put a 2nd amendment right in the CA state constitution in front of her, she didn't sign.  I figure I'll live the example, and if she finds it attractive she'll join me.  After wading through all the BS paperwork and wait times and the card and everything she was a little more on my (our) side so maybe next time she'll sign it.

Today I'm going to pick up the CA handgun test book so she can study up on it.  Next week is the show in Bakersfield and she wants to buy it then.

And thank God, there weren't too many loony war recreators (I'm not too sure what they call themselves) dressed up in all kinds of military uniforms and pretending to fight the Civil War or whatever again.  I warned her about them but there was apparently just one guy that was still stuck in 1865.

Also, thumbs up to the vendors that had all kinds of junk from WWII, she really likes that time period and collects magazines from that time for the ads.  I don't know why but she likes the traditional stuff.  She has a Ladies Home Journal from the 40's that's about as PC as a lawn jockey.

I really don't see a problem with the war re-enactors.  Seems like a fun hobby for the real history nuts.  Maybe the ones yo uspeak of take it a bit too seriously (a problem with any hobby, just look at some of the Star Trek freaks).  At least you didn't see any of those fucking neo-nazis.  I really hate those guys.  (Yes I recognize the irony in that statement)

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Take her hand, hit it with a hammer, that is what shooting a small 380 is like. She won't like it long.

Bull shit!!!!  Get her a Bersa Thunder.  Minimal felt recoil.  Excellent little 380 for the ladies and great little backup pocket pistol....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take her hand, hit it with a hammer, that is what shooting a small 380 is like. She won't like it long.

Yes, not sure about other .380, someone else said the Bersa Thunder is not bad, but my Berreta Chetah knocks the hell out of the webbing between my thumb and idex finger.  My hand actually get sore somewhere between 50 and 100 rounds...I can shoot my Kimber all day, but not that little thing...

Now, with that being said, I love that little pistol.  But would not have a new shooter use it before my G19, or even .45.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sadly i must agree, those thing can be painful.

Mrs Pic prefers a 1911 to a .380.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

Card...........
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well cross your fingers or buy a .22LR revolver and give an attacker just that much more time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Edited because I can't read.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You should have gone to talk to the transfer dealer. The TD would set up a time for her to do the test, get her HSC and start the DROS.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Way to go, get her involved now
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Now take her to an economics class.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

She was kind of mad that she couldn't walk out with it that day,

Another enemy of gun control is born...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Get her a Glock 26...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#19]
another reason not to live in commie land
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Now take her to an economics class.

It's all Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well cross your fingers or buy a .22LR revolver and give an attacker just that much more time.

ever shot one? those blow back 380's have more felt recoil than most fullsize guns. then again if it was going to be a primary gun 380 would be way down the list. better than nothing but not much.

What would you recommend?  I handed her any number of pistols that didn't fit her hand, and a 1911 was too big.  If you can find something smaller with less felt recoil I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1, you aren't actually going to make her pay for it are you?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, you aren't actually going to make her pay for it are you?

She pays her own way for most things.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh, then screw it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Peak, did you and your gf check out any Kahrs?
a 9mm would be a very good choice.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Smith & Wesson 642/442.  Small, light weight, no exposed hammer to get snagged in her purse/pocket.  Not bad recoil with the right grips.  Excellent personal defense gun.

Don't let her get frustrated shooting at targets over seven yardsaway, that's not what it's for.  Tell her she needs something else for the range, then she can start her collection.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Smith & Wesson 642/442.  Small, light weight, no exposed hammer to get snagged in her purse/pocket.  Not bad recoil with the right grips.  Excellent personal defense gun.

Don't let her get frustrated shooting at targets over seven yardsaway, that's not what it's for.  Tell her she needs something else for the range, then she can start her collection.

Good luck with a ccw in california though...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Mrs Pic prefers a 1911 to a .380.

MrsWind is thte same until I got her a Browning HiPower....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top