Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 7:51:24 PM EDT
San Ramon

[b]Woman sentenced for felony tax evasion[/b]

A San Ramon woman charged with felony tax evasion who pleaded no contest has been sentenced to three years probation.

As part of the June agreement, three felony charges against Alice M. Ciaston, 53, were reduced to misdemeanors.

She was charged with failing to file tax returns for 1998, 1999 and 2000 for her business selling anti-tax literature. She told tax officials she believed taxes were voluntary.

The self-employed Ciaston made more than $200,000 by advertising and selling anti-tax literature, said state Franchise Tax Board spokesman John Barrett. She was ordered to pay $8,000 in delinquent taxes.

[url]www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/3731147.htm[/url]

Man, not paying taxes and the sale of anti-tax literature. I love it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
She was charged with failing to file tax returns for 1998, 1999 and 2000 for her business selling anti-tax literature. She told tax officials she believed taxes were voluntary.

The self-employed Ciaston made more than $200,000 by advertising and selling anti-tax literature, said state Franchise Tax Board spokesman John Barrett. She was ordered to pay $8,000 in delinquent taxes.

[url]www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/3731147.htm[/url]

Man, not paying taxes and the sale of anti-tax literature. I love it!
View Quote

Why do you think they targeted her in the first place? Taxes are voluntary, filing is not, even though it violates your fith amendment rights and priviledges. The IRS needs to be disbanded. I hate that shit.
BTW, ask an IRS agent where it says in federal law that we must pay taxes under penalty of law. $10.00 says he can't.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
This comes up every year around tax time.

The only "scheme" that I have found that looks remotely plausable is from Irwin Schiff ([url=http://www.paynoincometax.com/]Pay No Income Tax[/url]).

I haven't bought the book, but have briefly scanned a copy from someone. The main hurdle that I could find was that you need to be living in a state that has no income tax (states can tax you, not the feds). So Irwin lives in Nevada (no state income tax).

That, and you need have all your toys bought before hand (house, car, boat, etc) and be setup for retirement (IMHO).

Just in case your curious, Schiff basicly says to fill out a 1040 form with all zeros. Then get ready to go to tax court. His book is important because it has all the areas that you need to know in the tax code books (which you will need to get), and walks you through the Q&A the court will take you through.

I don't have the balls to try it out personally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Taxes are voluntary, filing is not
View Quote

Very very wrong.

Taxes are NOT voluntary.

What IS voluntary is the system of reporting.  Rather than a system where a federal official comes to your house to count your beans and tax them, our "voluntary" system depends on the good taxpayers to do the reporting themselves.  They volunteer the information to the government.

This is an old BS argument (taxes are voluntary) that has gotten many a fool arrested.  Protest the law if you will, but don't whine when you are busted, for you have been warned.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only "scheme" that I have found that looks remotely plausable is from Irwin Schiff.
View Quote

I'd give you ten to one he pays his taxes. If not they would have made an example out of him by now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't pay them and you voluteer to go to jail or get shot in the head.
View Quote

They will do worse than that. They will make you poor instead.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only "scheme" that I have found that looks remotely plausable is from Irwin Schiff ([url=http://www.paynoincometax.com/]Pay No Income Tax[/url]).
View Quote

Schiff is a fraud, just like the rest of them.  The WSJ recently had a brief paragraph on him noting that someone had gotten thrown into Club Fed after taking Schiff's advice;  Schiff's own comment was that anyone who believed what he was peddling was an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]
AMENDMENT 16:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Woohoo....you have an amendment...now find the law...you can't...find the charter or beginning documents of the IRS...you can't..yes the amendment made taxes constitutional..even though
everyone had said that taxes were the worst possible way to get money...and do you want more info.....go to www.Cafrman.com and look at the surpluses that cities and states keep with their system of double books...Dallas said that they are short...ain't so...and Texas has a lot of money....it is all crap and more people are starting to realize it....as for Irwin and his ilk..you will go to jail. Ask Irwin...he's been there
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Let me tell you that the 16th Amendment was passed at a time when only the very top income earners were going to be taxed!

It was passed as a veiled 'soak the rich' plan at a very 'progressive' time in American History!

And by 'progressive', I don't mean anything good or wholesome!

The original personal income tax applied only to the wealthiest Americans. Rates ranged from 1 percent to 7 percent, and well over 90 percent of the population were exempt from filing at all!

It wasn't until World War II and after, that common ordinary middle class Americans began to have to pay income taxes, but even these were extremely modest in percentage amounts.

So the sin of 'envy' has led us all to the point that we are now approaching tax rates of 50% of all of our income from all sources!

Thanks a lot, Grandad, thanks a lot!

Eric The(Miffed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only "scheme" that I have found that looks remotely plausable is from Irwin Schiff.
View Quote

I'd give you ten to one he pays his taxes. If not they would have made an example out of him by now.
View Quote

Yea, you could be right. Like I said, I have only browsed his book.

Now here is an odd one. My mother was sent a letter from the IRS a couple years ago asking her to [b]STOP filling[/b]. She is on social security and her interest on her accounts are to low to file. Weird.

I still run her numbers through Turbo Tax every year and put the forms in the file cabnet, just in case they call back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#12]
As a CPA who has done client representation against the IRS, I can tell you taxes are indeed voluntary - at least for the first go round.

What isn't voluntary is the IRS audit, or the resulting tax assessment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Now here is an odd one. My mother was sent a letter from the IRS a couple years ago asking her to [b]STOP filling[/b]. She is on social security and her interest on her accounts are to low to file. Weird.
View Quote

They've started doing that with people on "fixed incomes". Same thing with my Grandmother.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Woohoo....you have an amendment...now find the law...you can't...find the charter or beginning documents of the IRS...you can't..yes the amendment made taxes constitutional..
View Quote

It couldn't be much easier to find.  United States Code Title 26, Section 1:

[red]There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of -
(1) every married individual (as defined in section 7703) who makes a single return jointly with his spouse under section 6013, and
(2) every surviving spouse (as defined in section 2(a)), a tax determined in accordance with the following table:

There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of every head of a household (as defined in section 2(b)) a tax determined in accordance with the following table:

There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of every individual (other than a surviving spouse as defined in section 2(a) or the head of a household as defined in section 2(b)) who is not a married individual (as defined in section 7703) a tax determined in accordance with the following table:

There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of every married individual (as defined in section 7703) who does not make a single return jointly with his spouse under section 6013, a tax determined in accordance with the following table:

There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of - (1) every estate, and (2) every trust, taxable under this subsection a tax determined in accordance with the following table:
[/red]

[url=http://uscode.house.gov/title_26.htm]Look for yourself[/url] if you have trouble believing me.  It sucks, but it's true.  There is a federal law that takes our money.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Woohoo....you have an amendment...now find the law...you can't...find the charter or beginning documents of the IRS...you can't..yes the amendment made taxes constitutional..even though
everyone had said that taxes were the worst possible way to get money...and do you want more info.....go to www.Cafrman.com and look at the surpluses that cities and states keep with their system of double books...Dallas said that they are short...ain't so...and Texas has a lot of money....it is all crap and more people are starting to realize it....as for Irwin and his ilk..you will go to jail. Ask Irwin...he's been there
View Quote
Huh? yeah I have an amendment (???)
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]
The only differences between the IRS and the Mob is the IRS has more judges on the payroll and their thugs have badges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top