Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2002 11:33:21 PM EDT
Posted on Sat, Aug. 31, 2002 [size=4]Police find assault rifle near slain Richmond man[/size=4] CONTRA COSTA TIMES [b]RICHMOND[/b] - Police said Saturday that they found an AK-47 assault rifle in some bushes near a 26-year-old man who was shot to death early Friday morning. Officers found Warren Lee Powell III of Richmond beside his car near the corner of South Second Street and Ohio Avenue at 2:17 a.m. Friday. Powell had been shot several times, police detective Hector Esparza said, but declined to say whether Powell had been shot with the rifle. Police continued to search for suspects or a motive in the slaying, Richmond's 16th of the year. Richmond had 18 homicides in 2001. A police dog sniffed out the rifle, police said. Shell casings were also found at the scene. Family members said Powell, a Contra Costa College student, went to a party Thursday night but did not know whether events at the party had anything to do with his death. Court records show Powell spent time in jail during the late 1990s and early 2000s. He was convicted in 1996 of shooting into an occupied dwelling and of being a felon in possession of a concealed firearm following a traffic stop in 2000. The Contra Costa District Attorney's Office also charged Powell with a misdemeanor count of assault with a deadly weapon this month after an altercation at a Pinole bank where he allegedly struck the manager with a telephone when the manager refused to cash a check for him. Police ask anyone with information about the murder to call Detective Louie Tirona at 510-620-6629 or Detective Hector Esparza at 510-620-6879. [url]www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/3978616.htm[/url] -------------------- Sounds like a dirt bag met his maker. Screw him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 11:38:43 PM EDT
Couldn't have been an AK-47. You're right, that's illegal in CA, as is killing people. Must've been a short barrel .50 BMG. I bet the round hit a water tank too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 11:42:48 PM EDT
Not banned for criminals who don't give two squats about a ban. Hell, bet they don't even know it's banned!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:21:06 AM EDT
AK47 rifles, as opposed to the more common AKM, or the even more common semi-auto only commercial clones, are not [b]Banned[/b] for possession in California. Its a very common mistake to think certain rifles are banned from possession here. almost as common as mistaking a semi automatic Mak-90, MISR, or SAR for an AK-47. But the fact of the matter is, about the only Banned guns in California are the .45colt/410 Thompson-contender and the SKS-D with detachable mag. Everything else is still legal to possess, but heavily regulated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:33:29 AM EDT
I know, I was being facetious. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:37:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja: I know, I was being facetious. [:D]
View Quote
Oh, I thought you were California bashing and spreading deliberate misinformation. I apologize.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:49:51 PM EDT
Sounds like whoever used the AK was doing the rest of society a big favor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:54:56 PM EDT
Court records show Powell spent time in jail during the late 1990s and early 2000s. He was convicted in 1996 of shooting into an occupied dwelling and of being a felon in possession of a concealed firearm following a traffic stop in 2000.
View Quote
Why wasn't this "victim" in the custody of the state or federal prison system? If he was in prison, where he belonged, he would most likely be alive today. "If it saves just one life, it is worth it." -934
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:02:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan: But the fact of the matter is, about the only Banned guns in California are the .45colt/410 Thompson-contender and the SKS-D with detachable mag. Everything else is still legal to possess, but heavily regulated.
View Quote
Really, why are those two firearms banned??? Either way, you guys got some seriously restrictive gun laws in place, I wouldn't trade places with you...
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:02:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:31:53 PM EDT
BigBear, I've only been in MO for a year, and I don't know where I will end up next year if I get the jobs I am working on. So I don't know a whole lot about the local political scene. However I have heard the CCW would not go through even if the vote went our way due to Gov. Holden vetoing any such bill. I lived in KS and CO before, and CO was by far the best gun state I have lived in, however with all the Kali folks moving in (no offense to CA residents, but these are the BAD CA folks) the tides are turning. The whole Denver/Boulder area votes pretty much opposite of what the rest of the state does, and since they have the numbers, I fear for the worst in the future. They are turning the state into a mini-CA as far as gun laws are concerned. No AWs in Denver City, CCW is hard to get in Denver, same as CLEO sign-offs on NFA. And when I lived there, the whole gunshow-loophole closure was the big news. But still can have MGs, SBRs, suppressors, etc. as long as you can get the sign-off. That's why I feel for you guys. Good news for the good CA folks though, if all the libs move to CO, then maybe you guys can retake the state![;)] MO I can't get suppressors and MG/SBR sign-offs aren't too easy to get in STL, no CCW and you have to get a permit to purchase handguns. KS, no CCW, no MGs or suppressors but at least no license needed to purchase rifles/handguns. I need to move to AZ...
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:37:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Originally Posted By mattja: I know, I was being facetious. [:D]
View Quote
Oh, I thought you were California bashing and spreading deliberate misinformation. I apologize.
View Quote
No, when I bash the state of my birth, you'll know it. he he
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2002 7:30:44 PM EDT by bobbyjack]
Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
Originally Posted By HKocher:
Originally Posted By AR15fan: But the fact of the matter is, about the only Banned guns in California are the .45colt/410 Thompson-contender and the SKS-D with detachable mag. Everything else is still legal to possess, but heavily regulated.
View Quote
Really, why are those two firearms banned??? Either way, you guys got some seriously restrictive gun laws in place, I wouldn't trade places with you...
View Quote
Because the former is considered a shotgun pistol, which are banned in CA, and I have no idea why the latter is banned. The detachable mag SKS is the only weapon the state sponsored a buy-back program for. I think they were testing the waters for possible future buy-back programs. The results were underwhelming so I don't think we'll see any buybacks soon. BTW, I hope you can get rid of Jean Carnahan in Nov. She's a blight on the Senate and your state. Any word about getting CCW passed there? Last time the antis cheated and won. Good luck.
View Quote
And what is really a joke is unless you are unfortunately only a few feet from the three inched barreled .410 you aren't going to be any real harm(unless buck or slugs ). And ten rounds of 762X39 is just as bad as anything else you would want to personally encounter at close quarters. Maybe someday we will get a real President,who knows guns. Bob [:D]
Top Top