Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 1:14:41 PM EDT
My friend calls me up last night and asks the value of a Colt Mk4 because I'm the "gun nut", I looked up a couple of online auctions and tell him what they've been selling for. Then the next Question I ask him is, why?

Some guy in Indiana wants to buy his bike and wants to work the colt into the deal. I inform him that that would have to go through a dealer because it's from out of state.

Now today he wanted to me to go with him to Chicago to look at the gun and he's taking his Bike along to sell to the guy. I tell him pistols are illegal in Cook County and you can't take that gun anyway but I don't think he's listening...

Probably not a sting but things are starting to sound fishy, no way am I going to foo with that.

-JTP

Update because I saw this was bumped (9.18).
Sent him a text, asked if he was still alive. He is but I haven't spoke with him so I don't know the details or what went down.
I did call him back and tell him how to handle the transaction yesterday. Probably won't update again but he's not dead or in jail...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My friend calls me up last night and asks the value of a Colt Mk4 because I'm the "gun nut", I looked up a couple of online auctions and tell him what they've been selling for. Then the next Question I ask him is, why?

Some guy in Indiana wants to buy his bike and wants to work the colt into the deal. I inform him that that would have to go through a dealer because it's from out of state.

Now today he wanted to me to go with him to Chicago to look at the gun and he's taking his Bike along to sell to the guy. I tell him pistols are illegal in Cook County and you can't take that gun anyway but I don't think he's listening...

Probably not a sting but things are starting to sound fishy, no way am I going to foo with that.

-JTP

rule #1 : Never invite the man into your life!

you've done your job, voiced your concern to your "friend".  maybe remind him again and then he's on his own.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]

tell him just to sell his bike and join here to ask questions and i think he'll be alot happier in the end

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him you won't go his bail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Dibs on your guns & ammo!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Man you people are paranoid...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Crossing state line to buy a pistol in a city where pistols are illegal...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For good reason.  The laws regarding firearms are so convoluted the average person DOESN'T know them, and can easily run afoul of their intricate nuances.  

It's PROBABLY not a sting.  PROBABLY.

But the OP did his job.  He warned his friend that the contemplated course of action is illegal.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you get a blood sample from him before he goes.

It will make identification a lot easier.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
A Colt mk 4 is not illegal in Cook County.

It may be illegal in Chicago.  But there are 2 exceptions.
1. a Chicago person (Law-abiding and possessing an Illinois FOID card legitimately) Can own a pistol And have in within Chicago boundaries if it was registered with the Chicago police before 1982. ( and have the registration renewed every year there after)

2. A Foid carrying Chicagoan can own a pistol but may not keep it within Chicago's boundaries in it was not registered in 82 with the city and re registered every year there after.  But They Can purchase a handgun  and MUST  Store it outside the Chicago city limits.
2(A). if somehow they forgot to renew the registration one year... Chicago wrote the law to NOT allow re-registration of said firearm.     AKA you lose.

3*********Federal law requires out of state transfers / sales must go thru an FFl in the firearm receivers state aka (your buddy needs to get an FFL in his state to receive the firearm)

Big Cliff Note****  Illinois residents MUST possess a valid and un-expired FOID card in order to own , possess,or  purchase any Firearms, ammunition, reloading supplies such as gun powder. Heck even have to have it for BB guns.  Also check back of FOID card It has the states requirement for all firearms transfers.  You can also find the information on the Illinois State Police web site.    If seller does not have FOID card...  Blade at a 45 degree angle and get the F' out of Dodge big time....

Even though Cook County and Chicago are very similar, they are not one and the same. There are other city's, townships, and villages in Cook County.

And we're not even covering a check on the serial numbers that the pistol is stolen or a crime gun or not.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
He's gonna get robbed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
You should get "HAZARD PAY " if you have to go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, tell him to make sure any cash received is printed on BOTH sides.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get us..........................
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Pistols aren't illegal in Cook county to my knowledge just Chicago.

I doubt its a sting, but you are correct it does need to go through an FFL being out of state,
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's gonna get robbed.

This.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He's gonna get robbed.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Bumping to see if any dogs were shot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude?  Interstate pistol private transfer?  In fucking CHICAGO?  Dude!

Pull out your dick and slap your friend across the face with it for him even thinking of doing that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A Colt mk 4 is not illegal in Cook County.
It may be illegal in Chicago.  But there are 2 exceptions.

1. a Chicago person (Law-abiding and possessing an Illinois FOID card legitimately) Can own a pistol And have in within Chicago boundaries if it was registered with the Chicago police before 1982. ( and have the registration renewed every year there after)

I can't imagine living somewhere like that.  It sounds a lot like the DC BS that was overruled by SCOTUS last year.

And you have to have the government's permission to own a gun? (FOID)
Damn...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought that so long as the two states shared a border (adjoining states) that a FTF transfer was okay with the ATF.

Still, I'd NEVER do a deal in or around Chicago that wasn't through a FFL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I thought that so long as the two states shared a border (adjoining states) that a FTF transfer was okay with the ATF.

Dude, last time I drove through the midwest, I put an extra hour on my trip so I wouldn't have to go into Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#25]

He's buying an underage gun? Is that possible?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
So...
is he done getting robbed yet?

In the hospital? Or did he fo, never to be heard from or found again?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get us..........................

There isn't a heavily armed government bureau tasked with shooting dogs and enforcing obscure and often nonsensical policy for any of my other hobbies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Cook County includes suburbs as well, not just Chicago.  I grew up in South Chicago Heights (Cook County)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, last time I drove through the midwest, I put an extra hour on my trip so I wouldn't have to go into Illinois.

As long as it isn't Chicago, it's not that bad...  Well, at least the transport law...  Unloaded and encased.  You don't need a lock and you can have the loaded

mags in the case with it.  Plus, you can store it anywhere within in your vehicle.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it isn't Chicago, it's not that bad...  Well, at least the transport law...  Unloaded and encased.  You don't need a lock and you can have the loaded  
mags in the case with it.  Plus, you can store it anywhere within in your vehicle.  

I usually have it locked and loaded and stuck in my glove box.  Also, I've heard horror stories about the Illinois State Police.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Update it again. If he met the guy at an FFL, he could do it in that state. He doesn't have to have it sent to a dealer in his state. He can have it transfered to him at a dealer in IL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dibs on your guns & ammo!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#33]
everybody saying hes paranoid lets not forget the idiot here that sold a gun across state lines, got paid with fake money and got busted for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
everybody saying hes paranoid lets not forget the idiot here that sold a gun across state lines, got paid with fake money and got busted for it.

I missed this one.  Details?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#35]
So how did your friend like the arrest?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Update it again. If he met the guy at an FFL, he could do it in that state. He doesn't have to have it sent to a dealer in his state. He can have it transfered to him at a dealer in IL.

No he could not. You can only buy handguns in your state, even from FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top