Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 4:37:47 PM EDT
I have been involved in a custody change over with my "baby's momma". It was supposed to be a non-contested custody change in favor of me. I took my daughter with the idea that paper work rolling for a noncontested change over. Well, my "baby's momma" calls up today wanting to come down to get my daughter saying she is in danger from the hurricane. I told her it is under control. She is safe. I got her calmed down and I politely asked," My lawyer says you haven't signed the custody paperwork. Why haven't you?" Her response was that there needed to be a statement saying that she is a good mother and she is not giving up custody because she cannot take care of them.

Back up a few months. My "baby's momma" was arrested for two counts of child neglect. She has no car, no job, and no sound home.

She started yelling and screaming at me. I firmly said, "Look, you are hurting Katrina by not signing the paperwork. I cannot get benefits for her until you sign the paperwork." She went off on my and started yelling. I told her my lawyer will contact her and that I am now suing for custody and that I will win. Enough with this crap of you not doing what you say you will"

I was probably wrong to tell her I was going to sue, but I did. When we first arranged the custody change she signed a self-prepared document stating she wanted to give me custody and had remarks about visitation. It is a self prepared word document signed by both and notarized. I don't know what legal power that document gives me or if it is worthless. I am afraid she will come to my door to take my daughter. What should I do, besides contact my lawyer back.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:44:06 PM EDT
Good luck!

If she comes to you door, maybe "what daughter?" or "shes at her grandmothers" or a similar phrase might suffice?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:47:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 4:47:15 PM EDT by Sturmwehr]

Originally Posted By Offspring:

Back up a few months. My "baby's momma" was arrested for two counts of child neglect. She has no car, no job, and no sound home.

I mean no disrespect for your prior significant other, but that's just pathetic.

How can one willingly neglect a child?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:47:42 PM EDT
How old is your daughter. At least she is lucky enough to have you. But the court system is so fucked up they think anything without a penis is a better parent regardless of the facts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:48:35 PM EDT
In Ohio, unless a mutual agreement such as yours is noted and signed by a Domestic Relations Court judge, it's worthless.

Sue for custody.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:50:22 PM EDT
The document is strong evidence, as is the neglect business - not the charges themselves, but the facts the gov't gathered to bring the charges. Neither of them will win the case by itself. This kind of case is a big part of my practice. IM me for my office number. I'll be in tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:52:46 PM EDT

One to your leg and one to hers!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:53:58 PM EDT
s, s, and stfu. that's all i have to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:56:53 PM EDT
We were never married.

My daughter is 11.

She has three younger children, not by me.

One of the fathers of the other kids successfully won custody.

I will win, but it is a matter of what will happen with my daughter until I am awarded custody

I mean no disrespect for your prior significant other, but that's just pathetic.

None taken. She was a High School mistake when I was 16. My daughter on the other hand is one of the greates people on earth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:17:23 PM EDT
From what you posted it seems as though you have a pretty good case for custody.

But keep in mind that even with the arrests, the courts have a history of giving custody to the mother.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:27:49 PM EDT
By being male, you have an uphill battle. Fight the good fight, you won't regret it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:33:16 PM EDT
I don't have any experience in a situation like this, but If I were you I would go on the offensive.

Make sure your life is in order, lawyer up and go and protect your daughter from this woman.

...and say a prayer for a little divine help.

best wishes!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:36:17 PM EDT
Get a restraining order against her, siting *any information* you need to. As the male parent, you will be guilty until proven innocent. Been there, done that, fought tooth and nail to get custody of my daughter from her coke-ho mother. Email me for more details/strategy.
Top Top