Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 3:11:58 PM EDT
I cant survive for more than two weeks at $3.00/gal or higher....Credit cards are already close enough to the limit as it is, so I need to pay cash for my gas, and I can hardly break even after paying for gas to get to work and school.
I wonder what I can get for my 2000 Blazer
I would love a hybrid engine if I could get a dependable truck similar to my Blazer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
One very important question about your Blazer:

Is it paid off?

OK, one more:

What color is it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
One very important question about your Blazer:

Is it paid off?

OK, one more:

What color is it?

Its red, and paid for.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I cant survive for more than two weeks at $3.00/gal or higher....Credit cards are already close enough to the limit as it is, so I need to pay cash for my gas, and I can hardly break even after paying for gas to get to work and school.
I would love a hybrid engine if I could get a dependable truck similar to my Blazer.

+1  We have an Avalanche to pull our boat, but I think the family car needs to be replaced.  Those hybrids are butt-ugly, but I dont have a better idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a 96' Blazer

Sold it for $2700

They depreciate like a mother
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A 2000 blazer?
Not what i was expecting...

How far is your daily commute? Point to point to point to point....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get 20MPG on that vehicle (I have the same) if you don't stand on the gas all the time (17-18 around town - keep the engine tuned & tires inflated)

unless you are racking up a lot of miles every year (25K+) you will have a long time before the payback for a more efficient vehicle kicks in.

Consolidate trips and work on paying your cards down,
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Big trucks ain't selling, compacts are.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
You might have missed your chance to sell.  I think alot of people have the same problem and their going to try and get rid of  their trucks.  The market will be flooded with used SUV's.

I've got a 1993 F250 with a 460.  It's a good thing its only a 3 mile round trip to work.  I'm  gonna start riding my bicycle to work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  We have an Avalanche to pull our boat, but I think the family car needs to be replaced.  Those hybrids are butt-ugly, but I dont have a better idea.

Im in the same boat as you.  Gotta have something to pull the boat with, as well as commute in these brutal Michigan winters.  I wish I had enough income to park the Blazer, and finance something economical for warm weather driving.  I make some decent money in the winter pulling all these dumb college students out of the ditch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
1999 Dodge Dakota R/T with 5.9L V8 daily commuting around Dallas..

I am feeling your pain and looking at a Jeep Liberty or Nissan Extera

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Im doing at least 35 miles round trip to school every monday, wednesday, friday, and more than 60 on tuesday and thursday.  work is a shorter commute, but heavy stop and go traffic.  I do avg 15-20 mpg, but its really not enough for me anymore.  I replaced plugs and wires the other day and noticed a great mpg increase.  I need new  tires, but for now rotating them is going to have to do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a Golf, Jetta, or Passat turbodiesel.  They are real cars, not motorized scooters like the Prius.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I should have bought a couple of those geo metros at the auction last month for $200. each. They would be worth a mint now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Im doing at least 35 miles round trip to school every monday, wednesday, friday, and more than 60 on tuesday and thursday.  work is a shorter commute, but heavy stop and go traffic.  I do avg 15-20 mpg, but its really not enough for me anymore.  I replaced plugs and wires the other day and noticed a great mpg increase.  I need new  tires, but for now rotating them is going to have to do.

Keep the air up on em (I run 35 psi) and drive like there is an egg between your foot & the gas pedal.

Seriously, saving $40 a week at the pump in exchange for adding a monthly car payment seems like a false economy... + 4WD is a must in Winter unless you stick strictly to towns & close in 'burbs

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a Golf, Jetta, or Passat turbodiesel.  They are real cars, not motorized scooters like the Prius.

I'll have to look at those.  It's true..the Prius looks like a bug, but that new Honda Accord hybrid isn't half bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im in the same boat as you.  Gotta have something to pull the boat with, as well as commute in these brutal Michigan winters.  I wish I had enough income to park the Blazer, and finance something economical for warm weather driving.  I make some decent money in the winter pulling all these dumb college students out of the ditch.

Quick question....WTF are you gonna use to power your boat if your already pissing and moaning about gas prices.......

Ignore this if you have a sailboat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quick question....WTF are you gonna use to power your boat if your already pissing and moaning about gas prices.......

Ignore this if you have a sailboat.

I dont drive the boat 18 miles to work and back a day.  The wife doesn't drive the boat to work and back either.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Maybe you should sell your boat?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
In my opinion, and I could be REALLLLLYY wrong here....

It is not worth liqudiating high gas consumption vehicles as the price will probably be really depressed right now due to the hype over fuel prices, then combine that with the premium you will have to pay for a fuel efficient vehicle due to the same hype.  My best guess is that the combined hit will not make it worth your while

Wide swings in a commodity market can easily trigger panic.  My suggestion is to sweat it out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
my boat surprisingly gets good gas mileage, plus its jointly owned by my dad, and he wont sell for anything.  I tooled around on the lake for 5 days last week fishing, pulling people on the tube, and other general jackassery, and it only cost me $10 in gas.  For a 75hp motor, thats a deal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Based on:  15,000 miles per year, $3.00 per gallon.

Prius and Corolla are about the same size inside.  Lets assume a ten year life for both cars.

Corolla, $16,000, 26 mpg average assuming AC on 100% of time and mix of city and highway.  Corollas gas costs $1,730 per year or $144 per month.

Prius, $26,000 (really $55,000 but other toyota buyers carry prius owners on their backs.), 40mpg average with AC compressor on 100% of time (how I drive, here in SA TX, 10miles from the Sun), mix of city and highway miles.  Prius gas costs $1200 per year or $100 per month.  Prius costs $10,000 more for basically the same car, that's $12,000 more including financing vigorish.  Add one battery pack replacement of $6,000.  So the Prius costs $18,000 extra or $1,800 per year extra or $150 per month extra over the Corolla.  So, gas plus extra cost comes out  to $3,000 per year for the Prius vs $1,730 for the Corolla's gas.  The Prius gas plus extra cost comes out to $250 per month versus the Corollas $144 per month.

If the Prius buyer had to actually PAY for the Prius, the extra cost of the Prius would be  $39,000  or $45,000 after finance charges.  Add in a $6,000 battery pack and the Prius costs $51,000 extra.  Over ten years, the  gas and extra cost of the Prius comes out to $6,300 per year vs $1,730 for the Corolla's gas.  The Prius ACTUALLY costs, for extra cost and gas $525 per month versus $144 per month for the Corollas gas.

Note:  this does not include the cost of environmental damage caused by making the two battery packs for the Prius and in eventually disposing of those battery packs.

In conclusion:  If the Prius buyer is immoral and lets other car buyers pay for most of the cost of his Prius, the Prius owner will save...negative $1,270 per year and will save negative $106 per month.  If the Prius owner is a moral person and pays the whole cost of the Prius then that Prius owner will save negative $3,970 per year or will save a negative $331 per month.

But, the Prius owner will "FEEL" good about his purchase....provided he or she can't or won't do the math.

Interestingly, there is a six month wait to buy a Prius in San Antonio, but no wait to buy a Corolla.  Same wait across the nation...and that says a lot about the Critical Thinking abilities of car buyers.  Of course, what it says is not something good.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Prius and Corolla are about the same size inside.  Lets assume a ten year life for both cars.

Corolla, $16,000, 26 mpg average assuming AC on 100% of time and mix of city and highway.  Corollas gas costs $1,730 per year or $144 per month.

Prius, $26,000 (really $55,000 but other toyota buyers carry prius owners on their backs.), 40mpg average with AC compressor on 100% of time (how I drive, here in SA TX, 10miles from the Sun), mix of city and highway miles.  Prius gas costs $1200 per year or $100 per month.  Prius costs $10,000 more for basically the same car, that's $12,000 more including financing vigorish.  Add one battery pack replacement of $6,000.  So the Prius costs $18,000 extra or $1,800 per year extra or $150 per month extra over the Corolla.  So, gas plus extra cost comes out  to $3,000 per year for the Prius vs $1,730 for the Corolla's gas.  The Prius gas plus extra cost comes out to $250 per month versus the Corollas $144 per month.

If the Prius buyer had to actually PAY for the Prius, the extra cost of the Prius would be  $39,000  or $45,000 after finance charges.  Add in a $6,000 battery pack and the Prius costs $51,000 extra.  Over ten years, the  gas and extra cost of the Prius comes out to $6,300 per year vs $1,730 for the Corolla's gas.  The Prius ACTUALLY costs, for extra cost and gas $525 per month versus $144 per month for the Corollas gas.

Note:  this does not include the cost of environmental damage caused by making the two battery packs for the Prius and in eventually disposing of those battery packs.

In conclusion:  If the Prius buyer is immoral and lets other car buyers pay for most of the cost of his Prius, the Prius owner will save...negative $1,270 per year and will save negative $106 per month.  If the Prius owner is a moral person and pays the whole cost of the Prius then that Prius owner will save negative $3,970 per year or will save a negative $331 per month.

But, the Prius owner will "FEEL" good about his purchase....provided he or she can't or won't do the math.

Interestingly, there is a six month wait to buy a Prius in San Antonio, but no wait to buy a Corolla.  Same wait across the nation...and that says a lot about the Critical Thinking abilities of car buyers.  Of course, what it says is not something good.

this whole analysis ignores the greater impact of a large group of people reducing fuel consumption.

If demand drops, prices should drop

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I have simply given up .  I will put 2 to 3 gallons of gas in my 19'CC and run the engine for about 20 minutes every three weeks or so, same for my Jon Boat and my Air Boat.

The gas prices have taken all the fun out of everything for my family.  Figures, I work long enough to afford a few items like boats, then can't use the damn things.

The wife and I live about 7 miles or less ONE WAY to our jobs.  Actually, I'm LEO and park my cruiser at the Annex.  I may look into a nice 10-speed bike .
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I set the cruise at 60mph on the Jeep Liberty,I just hope Folks keep buying Saturns.(I bring down the axles from Detroit to Erlanger KY,on its way to Spring Hill TN)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Now it's a buyers market.  Unfortunately your selling.  You will probably take a hit in the pocket if you sell you truck.

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Sweat it out like another member said.

The best thing for you to do, is change your driving habits, use your cruise control, constantly check tire pressure, and run some extra maintenance on your vehicle to keep it in pristine operating condition. That alone will help you. History repeats itself, time and time again. We are in the 70's right now, the 80's are right around the corner...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Good job on the life cycle cost analysis.  Don't forget that you will pay more car tax for a Prius in states where car tax applies (unless exempt).  My break point for a new econobox is $5/gallon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I think a lot of people are doing something wrong if something like $30 a week more for gas is going to kill you.  You should be able to live and still save $100-200 a month in case of things like that.  I think also that the $300-500 a month payment for a NEW vehicle is going to bite your budget a LOT more than $50-150 a month in fuel charges.  

BTW I drive  a beat-up piece of shit '95 NEON with just under 100K miles.   Its paid for and only gets 17mpg but screw it, I'm not replacing it.  Actually I'm in the market at some point for a Pick-up Quad cab, but that'll have to wait until the wife's Grand Caravan is paid for.

Just my .02,
Steve L.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]
98 GMC sonoma, 2.2L 5 speed. 31MPG HWY. 98 Buick regal 3.8Gen II auto 32MPG HWY. Both with 70 to 80 K. Cost, 7200.00. [regal bought 2 years ago] Not a new vehicle out there that will compare to the actual running cost of these 2 vehicles together especially when you add in PLPD ins on both is still less then 1/2 the price of mandatory Full coverage. Don't even bother adding in car payments, higher plate fees, and depreciation. A new car will cost you more then your current vehicle does right now. Do the math.

Cut out the short 1 trippers and either do them before or after work on the way home or when you have several added up. I'd bet you could cut 30% easy off your fuel bill if you just work at it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#30]
GreenTalon, have you tuned up that neon lately?

Last year when shopping for an economy car, I tried to find a deal, and I succeeded. I got an SL1 Saturn that was three years old for $3600, standard shift, and yesterday's fill up indicated an mpg of 39.76. It had been sitting on the dealer lot for over a year, and the dealer lost money on it (he showed me the invoice when we were haggling over it). Saturns are hit-and-miss on quality, not stylish, but they have a very low resale value, so if you search and find one that runs great, it's a deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've heard the mysterioius $6000 battery charge thrown around a lot, but I can't find any comparable source that indicates this is true.

My prius owner co-worker who investigated says the closest he could find is that it would cost about $6000 to replace the entire battery system in the Prius, but the salespeople couldn't figure out what it would take to mess it up that bad.   I take that with a grain of salt because it is the dealer speaking, but still.

However, the prius's hybrid system, including batteries are under warranty for 10 years, the entire length of your hypothetical scenario, so you should remove that charge.

My friend is getting 52mpg highway right now, in august with a 1.5-2 hour highway commute.  Yes, he uses the AC, even thought it is only boston 80 degree weather.

Where does the 'subsidised' stuff come from?  I want to give my buddy a link to that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top