Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2007 9:52:43 PM EDT
I talked to a couple of my buddies from highschool the other day. One just got back from Paris Island, the other leaves for it May 14th.

Right now, im 20 years old. Working as a security guard, going to a university but getting OK grades. Right now, I have to re-take a couple classes but getting B's in most. I had planned on going into the Marines after I graduate in 2009 to be a pilot.

Both my buddies are going security forces.

With my grades questionable, should I leave school and enlist then work on becoming an officer after I get out and finish school?

Heres the thing, I grew up with my dad being a Naval Aviator and pretty much wanting to follow in his foot-steps. But at the same time, I really want to join the fight! If I enlisted, i'd go infantry. Im in shape, and passed a naval flight physical last year so that part isnt what im worried about.

This is a big decision for me, and my dad repeats the usual "just finish college" line, so it's hard to talk with him about it.

Stepping back and taking a look at my life, I honestly could use the discipline. I think if I enlisted and then went back to school, that discipline would help me succeed in school. - I take that view from working jobs with guys who had been in the Army/USMC and admiring their work ethics.

I'm familiar with deployments, as my father was deployed alot when I was a kid. If I enlisted infantry(of which I know the danger factor) I definately want to be deployed. Im in MECEP right now, but think i'd like to go infantry first, then go to school, then become an aviator.

Im just having a hard time making the decision to leave school and enlist. I feel I want to deep down, but the "go to college first" has stuck in my head at the same time.

Deep down I want to be a Marine and serve my country first and foremost. Im just at a crossroad of when/how I should.

What do those with experience think?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay in school. Become an officer. Been there, shoulda done that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Its hard for us to say, its ultimately up to you and your wants in life..

Im personally going the PLC route, so i'll start training in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you should talk to a recruiter.  It sounds like you are being pretty honest about your current frame of mind, discipline level, etc and the Army or the Marines might provide the things you say you lack.

Just count the cost.  Go into it with your eyes open.  Chances are you will be getting deployed.  I have been there and done that and it honestly is not too bad.  I think my year in Iraq changed me for the better.  I am getting ready to possible do it again.

Experience military life as an enlisted person first.  You can always go to OCS when the time is right (I'm doing it next year).
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Nobody can make this decision but you. College isn't for everyone, but then, neither is the military, and they're not mutually exclusive.

I personally am considering joining up when I graduate, though not before, because it will simply give me an advantage in terms of rank, pay, and post-military options. And if I (or you, since this would be equally applicable to any college graduate) would prefer to enlist instead of seeking a commission, there's still that option (IIRC).

And to my understanding, if you graduate and try for entry to OCS, you can try to go in as an infantry officer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
do what makes you happy. Both avenues are respectable.

edit: even if you do go military enlisted, there is 1-2 years of schooling involved with that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Stay in school. Become an officer. Been there, shoulda done that.

You think so?

Honestly, it's hard as hell for me to stay in school-really hard. I have to work full-time to stay in, and it eats alot of time away from my classes. (My sister who is much smarter went to a private school, and starts medical school next semester so my dad helped her out with expenses.)

I'd love to go to OCS next year, but it's just so difficult to keep my ass in school right now and do well at the same time. Maybe im just burned out with school and should take a semester off and save $.

My family fell apart through a divorce, and getting away like this feels like it'd be a breathe of fresh air no matter what happens to me.

I think i'll at least talk to a recruiter.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
First off, finish school. They can NEVER take that away from you.

Secondly, I applaud your decision to join the Corps!

The fight will not be over for some time, and if you decide to join later, especially as a ground pounder, I can guarantee you will get a chance to defend your country.

Semper Fi!

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Good idea. Talk about ROTC or the reserves. Either would take some of the pressure off of you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea. Talk about ROTC or the reserves. Either would take some of the pressure off of you.

My school only has Army and Air Force ROTC. I did Air Force AFJROTC in highschool for 2 years and Civil Air Patrol for 4 years- ive wanted to be in the military all my life.

I want to be a Marine for the commradre, the level of belonging ive seen in Marines is what drives me to become one. There are no Marines in my heritage, yet I want to be one the most.

I dont know any local Marines, and wanted to talk to someone other than my friends and family...both who discourage enlisting.

My dad shouldnt have shown me Full Metal Jacket in 7th grade

Im gonna go talk to a rectuiter asap. Im honestly not happy with my performance in school. I was never a great student, but I am known to take the hardest path and usually do well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure to talk to the recruiter about PLC as well. That what you can get the "feel" for it during the summers between school.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Make sure to talk to the recruiter about PLC as well. That what you can get the "feel" for it during the summers between school.

Ive been to "Mini-OCS" which is 3 days of OCS, put on by the USMC here in FL.

It kickd the shit out of me, but I loved every second of it. Honestly.

When I was in HS, I was at the USMC recruiter and all I had to do was sign on the dotted line. Listened to my dad and tried college first.

Fuck, I dont know what to do and it eats the shit out of me every day.

Sometimes I think I shoud join just to get away from my current life- which I know would be for the best. I dont want to mention this, but to be 100% honest; I ride sport bikes.

I honestly think sportbikes will kill me. Just my attitude, and thrill seeking mind-set, but I cant stop.

I much rather put that mind-set to work in the Marine Corps, than waste it on f'in motorcycles I guess is the best way to put it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a language skill?

Go ask an Army recruiter what this "18 x-ray" program is all about...

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, the Navy PRT is nowhere close to the endurance required for the USMC PFT.  I know, just to pass you need to be able to do at least 3 dead hang pull ups, 60 crunches in 2 min., and run the 3 mile in less than 28 min.  Now, it is probably more strict for OCS, My decision was to enlist.  I have a degree and enlisted, and I am a Aviation ordnance tech on the F-18s.  Yet I have been volunteering for every grunt billet that comes along.  Make your decision accordingly.  You can make much better moneys being an officer, yet, the enlisted people under you will respect you more if you are enlisted first, then go officer.  Its a tough decision, But my recommendation is to go OCS infantry, then transfer to aviation.  Good luck buddy, If you go to PI, I am stationed at MCAS Beaufort, which is 10 min away from PI, and when you get out, I will take you out for a drink.

Pat

Semper FI
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive been to "Mini-OCS" which is 3 days of OCS, put on by the USMC here in FL.

It kickd the shit out of me, but I loved every second of it. Honestly.

When I was in HS, I was at the USMC recruiter and all I had to do was sign on the dotted line. Listened to my dad and tried college first.

Fuck, I dont know what to do and it eats the shit out of me every day.

Sometimes I think I shoud join just to get away from my current life- which I know would be for the best. I dont want to mention this, but to be 100% honest; I ride sport bikes.

I honestly think sportbikes will kill me. Just my attitude, and thrill seeking mind-set, but I cant stop.

I much rather put that mind-set to work in the Marine Corps, than waste it on f'in motorcycles I guess is the best way to put it.

If you like sportbikes bikes and join the Marines you don't want to be stationed on the west coast, especially Camp Pendelton.
All of those county roads going out into east San Diego county suck, as does the road in Orange County between I5 and I15.

It could be worse, you could join the Navy and get stationed at Pt Mugu or Port Hunemene and then have to deal with the roads up in LA, Ventura, Kern and Santa Barbara counties.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Stay in school. A degree is best finished right now, and will be harder to make yourself finish later.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Stay in school. A degree is best finished right now, and will be harder to make yourself finish later.

...I don't agree with this at all. I enlisted in the Marines right out of high school and I was glad I did. I then went back to school on the GI bill and did another 20 as an officer. I understand your frustration and I think you are still living the life someone else wanted you to. My enlisted experience made me appreciate my college degree all the more. I was more mature and self-disciplined when I went to college as a result. I think if you're ready to go, do it. You can come back and finish your degree when you get out. The only thing I've seen strap people down in that process is getting married. Stay single. I didn't get married unitl I was 29 and that worked out so much better...if I was 17 I'd do it all over again the same way.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I enlisted right out of high school and regret it.  I should have gone to college and gotten my degree, then enlisted.  All of the guys I served with respected the officers, warrant officers, and mustangs.  You can't appreciate an enlisted man's life unless you were an enlisted man.  Stay in school, get your degree, then enlist.  You can always go to WO or OCS later and you will appreciate it all the more.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Putting off college is ok as long as you come back to it. The discipline might do yo some good. I struggled around my first time through college, mostly through lack of focus and inverted priorities. I even turned in a .5 GPA one semester. ht  If you're anywhere reasonably close to graduating, I'd try to stick it out, though. It's easier to KEEP your life on hold to finish school than it is to PUT your life on hold to finish it. Infantry needs officers, too. What if you transferred to a school with Navy ROTC?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Stay in school, get your GPA up to 3.5, and check out the Platoon Leaders Class.  No guarantees that you'll be selected for flight school but at least you'll be an officer and could have the option later on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#20]
"Stay in school. Become an officer. Been there, shoulda done that."

I had a cousin who went through NROTC.  He described the summer cruises like some kind of luxury outing, dining on fine china... while the enlisted sailors were out chipping the deck and generally having a miserable time.

If you have two brain cells to rub together, be an officer!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top