Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2015 4:16:11 AM EDT
I have a patient I got to talking to about guns, helicopters, etc and turns out he used to restore military vehicles for like the past 15 years. I had always thought it would be cool to own a Ferret and then he mentions that he knows of one for sale.

I have a place to store it, I own some property to run it on, plus they are street legal. He tells me they are very simple and reliable with decent parts availability and cost and they are a good investment. So now I'm kinda thinking I want one.

Not this one but one like it

Who here owns armor? Should I just get this crazy idea out of my head or go for it?

On a side note, he owns lots of cool class 3 stuff it sounds like he might be willing to let me play with too
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
That is cool as shit! I probably couldn't afford it, but that looks like fun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
They are cool.

These are imported military vehicles.

A which is code for; Good luck finding one not ridiculously priced, and/or running/working/functioning with all parts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
go for it!!

Check out steelsoldiers.com for more technical details about various mil. surp stuff.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]

I always liked those and the Saladins , but could never afford one.

My 'dream' is an old Unimog
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, this guy owns one as well as a Saladin and several jeeps and not sure what all else.

He knows where there is one local and volunteered to check it out for me and he can keep it running and he's local to me as well. I really want one other than I'm not sure what the hell I would do with it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
How do you see out of that?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck yes
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I looked into buying one years ago. I;m sad I never pulled the trigger and bought one. Do it. They will hold value unless you do stupid shit to it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, this guy owns one as well as a Saladin and several jeeps and not sure what all else.

He knows where there is one local and volunteered to check it out for me and he can keep it running and he's local to me as well. I really want one other than I'm not sure what the hell I would do with it.
View Quote

At least an investment.  And if you are into off road this would be a cool vehicle, even though the gas mileage is probably terrible (compared to the usual ones).

My personal dream is the Panhard VBL.  It's also amphibious.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Can an arfcommer even fit in it?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Look for one that has had the Austin Princess engine swapped in. More power is better.

I'd rather an Alvis FV721 Fox, but that's mostly because I prefer Jaguar engines to Rolls-Royce ones.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Even if it's to just to stare at it in your driveway when you cant drive it ....who cares ?

Isnt freedom great ? We can buy something just because we think it would be cool
The little Pinzgauers are cool as hell , too .

eta....sorry , OP , I didnt mean to kill your thread

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#15]
It's all good!

Well I guess I need to get  the guy better so he can get me some pics. I have a price in mind and based on condition I guess I'll go from there. If it's way out of the price range I would be willing to pay I'll forget about it or if it's in bad shape I'll forget about it. After that, well I guess we will see.

I would really like to have a Schwimmwagon but I know that will never happen.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can I come down and shoot at you while you drive it around ?
View Quote

Can I shoot back?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How do you see out of that?
View Quote

There are three hatches that fold down and periscopes for when they are up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I had one for eight years before selling it because of not having enough time to play with it any more.  They fit in a standard garage and I live in a gated community so it was the perfect vehicle to own.  Sad to see it go but it was about time to let someone else enjoy the fun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#19]
If you get one make sure it is running well and mechanical sound.  Parts are almost non existent and very spendy when you do find them.  I have been restoring two ferrets for almost a year now.  They are cool vehicles but after driving a bit the appeal wears off now I only want to drive them to car shows and parades and always dread that something very time and money intensive might brake when I use it.  Still a good investment though if you can get it for a good price.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I always liked those and the Saladins , but could never afford one.

My 'dream' is an old Unimog
View Quote

Saladin for the win.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Let s know how much.

I'm curious how much they cost.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Go to the 'Bird and bear' pub in Crawley, near London and ask for the 'chutney ferret experience ' and hand him £20. He will put you in contact with a man that can realise your dreams.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#23]
He said they're asking $20K but he's sure there's some wiggle room there.

He said getting parts is not a big issue as he has even imported batches of parts himself. I just keep running through my head though that a classic car would be a much more practical way to invest piss away my money.

Quoted:
Let s know how much.

I'm curious how much they cost.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#24]
A Ferret has some unique driving characteristics. For one thing, it doesn't have a standard clutch. You preset the gear you want to be in, and then stomp on the "change pedal" to change gears. Also, the driver's position is recumbent. All this will take some getting used to to.

I once considered a Ferret as a platform for my machine guns. I just don't have the garage space for it. (Too much space is taken up by the M38A1 jeep and the other restoration projects.)
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I'm afraid owning one might lead me to want a 1919 even if it's semi.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I want a Saxon APC..

Ferrets and other surplus vehicles for sale here.

http://www.khakicorpsimports.com/cat-wheeled.htm

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a friend buy a ferret from Khaki Corps.  He said they were great people to deal with and his ferret is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Even if it's to just to stare at it in your driveway when you cant drive it ....who cares ?
Isnt freedom great ? We can buy something just because we think it would be cool

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/pinzgauer_22.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/pinzgauer_22.jpg

Those are awesome, I saw one on youtube the either day climbing a damn near vertical slope, pretty impressive!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I own two. They are going up for sale as I hurt my back and it hurts me to work on them. If anyone is interested you can email me at my username at gmail.com

You can also email me for general information about ownership and location of parts.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're tall....hell no.

Then again, my back and joints wouldn't let me get in them any more, anyway.

My Haflinger will have to do...and it does.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd like to have a Scorpion or a Scimitar
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

At least an investment.  And if you are into off road this would be a cool vehicle, even though the gas mileage is probably terrible (compared to the usual ones).

http://www.warwheels.net/images/panhardvBLDujardin1.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.warwheels.net/images/panhardvBLDujardin1.jpg

I love the Panhard. Even if I could find one, I wonder what parts availability would be like. Actually, no I don't.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Got to drive one awhile back.   The pre-select transmission is kind of weird.

I'm told that maintaining British Armor anything can be a chore.   No personal experience on that, tho.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd go for a scorpion....jag powered so parts shouldn't be super difficult to get...but the Lucas electrics...well let's just say I have had land rivers so I should know better
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'd go for a scorpion....jag powered so parts shouldn't be super difficult to get...but the Lucas electrics...well let's just say I have had land rivers so I should know better
View Quote
Had access to one, once upon a time. Helluva lot of fun getting on the freeway!

Just for entertainment, go ahead and do a search to find out what....oh, say a transmission costs for a CVR(T). Feel free to report back, in this thread.

What I run:

(not mine, but pretty close...I've got a 700AP)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top