Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 10:28:30 AM EDT
Greenstick fracture of my right ulna...6wks or so of fiberglass...

Tripped running up some steps last night and hit on a step on the outside of my forearm about 2 inches above my wrist.  I have to go in tommorrow to have them check my TB test from a physical yesterday.  Hurts like hell but I hate going to the Drs. office.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
you've got another one don't you?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If you arent crying or its not hanging off at a funny angle, its not broken.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
is ot black and blue with a hint of yellow?

go to the doc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, but is my trigger finger one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If it hurts enough that you think tghat it's broken....

Go to the doctor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it swelling?
Broke both of mine before, they always swell.

If so, put ice on it to keep the swelling down and take your ass to the doctor. Immobilize it as much as possible until the x-rays come back just to be safe.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
can you bend it?
does it bend on it's own?
does it hurt or hurt like all holy hell?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Large bump that is tender as hell, bruised, and hurts real bad to rotate my forearm...have to type one handed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude, potentially broken bones require management.  IF, and ONLY IF, there is no tingling or loss of sensation in the hand or fingers, AND IF you have normal movement of the fingers, AND IF the hand is warm, pink and healthy looking, you can probably wait 24 hours for radiographs and a cast.  If there is any doubt at all, then get the to the ER or Orthopedist for proper care.  Do the right thing, and go now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if it was last night.... imobilse it and ice it down to reduce swelling. this is assuming there is no movement of the bones and they have not broken trough the skin. If it is an OBVIOUS break take you ass in asap. grinding bones shred tissue/neves/blood vessels.... etc.

if you waited this long it's obviously not bothering you that bad.

mike

ps.... this advise is not given in lieu of medical treatment. get thine ass to a doc.

TBS is right...get to the sawbones and have it x-ray'd
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Large bump that is tender as hell, bruised, and hurts real bad to rotate my forearm...have to type one handed.

Sounds fractured. Maybe.
Would be good to at least splint it but if you sling it and give it total rest it SHOULD be okay until tomorrow. Waltch for neurovascular status changes--ie loss of function, sensation, loss of circulation. If you do not know how to evaluate these then go see a doc today.

If you go tomorrow you had better let them know now that this is the case. Don't show up for your ppd reading and say, "oh, BTW, I've got a broken arm." Grrrr.

If there is any question about how it is doing get it checked out now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks....I think I might run to town...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Go see a doc...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Might as well, yo're not doin' anything other than dickin' around on the internet
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Whack it real hard.  If you pass out.. it's broken.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Post pics so we can make an educated judgement (and photoshop 'em).  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The Dr. Office probably scheduled the debrief of your test for a 5 minute time slot. The examination of your arm will take a lot longer than 5 minutes. Give the Dr. a call and explain what happened and they will make accomodations for the exam and debrief.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Can you feel a pulse in your wrist?  Try this:  Squeeze your fingers (on the questioned arm) and release.  It should turn white, then red (as it fills back up with blood).  If it remains white, go to the Doc asap.

Can you move your fingers?  If not, go to the doc asap

Can you feel sensations (touch)?  If not, go to the doc asap

Do you feel tingling?  If so, go to the doc asap

Otherwise, all he is gonna do is immobilize and your body will do the rest.

The above tests are for circulation problems and nerve damage, which the doc can help you with
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Can you feel a pulse in your wrist?  Try this:  Squeeze your fingers (on the questioned arm) and release.  It should turn white, then red (as it fills back up with blood).  If it remains white, go to the Doc asap. Can see pulse in wrist....approx 10 sec. capillary refill

Can you move your fingers?  If not, go to the doc asapYes

Can you feel sensations (touch)?  If not, go to the doc asapYes

Do you feel tingling?  If so, go to the doc asapThe underside(by the tendons)of my wrist feels like when you whack your funny bone real hard

Otherwise, all he is gonna do is immobilize and your body will do the rest.

The above tests are for circulation problems and nerve damage, which the doc can help you with

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a kid I got a broken arm during gym (touch football, we play rough here in the South). It swelled up a little and hurt like hell but I finished out the gym period and played a little more ball doing so. Eventually they sent me home and my mother took me to the Dr....Greenstick fracture, bone's cracked but not TOTALLY broken. All the Dr. did was X-ray it and stick my arm in an aluminum frame to imobilize it.

You MAY be ok waiting but WHY?...See a Dr. and let him work on it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I broke my foot once, had a 55 gal drum fall on it, and didn't go to the doc. 2 years later its fine but I was in excruciating pain everytime I walked for the first two weeks or so after it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Walk this time...runnin got ya in trouble in the first place!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I waited two days once to see the doctor about a broken right arm.
I was driving a stick shift truck at the time.  
I was young and stupid.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys....after lunch I am going in...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#26]

You wouldn't be asking if it was broken, trust me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#27]
worthless without pics
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#28]
dont have a digital camera....i put it on the scanner but it wouldnt turn out...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yea, but is my trigger finger one.

Let it heal by itself, you may wind up with better shooting ergonomics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#30]
That's why you have 2. Use the other one till tomorrow. I doesn't hurt that bad.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#31]
You could easily have a broken arm, only the xray will tell.  It sounds as if you might have a "nightstick" fracture.  This is when you break one of the two bones of the forearm (the one on the same side as your little finger.  Your arm remains stable because the other bone (the radius) is intact.  You would have pain with pronation/ supination (rotating your wrist) as you describe.  The mechanism of injury is similar to what you describe- a blow to the forearm on the ulnar (small finger) side.  It is called a nightstick fracture for obvious reasons- you see it when somone is defending themselves against a strike with a nightstick.  They put their arm up in classic defensive posture and get hit on this bone.  What you really need though, is an xray.  Call your MDs office, and they may order one before you come in.  Be a nice guy to the radiology tech and he/she will probably let you see it right away.  You probably would be able to see a fracture here pretty readily yourself.  This is also probably the cheapest way to do this if your MD will order the xray.   If you get an xray, and are able to see it, and don't see an obvious break then anything you miss will likely be non operative, and you shouldn't have a problem waiting.  If you see a break, call you MDs office to either be seen today, or for a referral.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Advice here? That's as good as Steve Martin saying "You need a Bleeding!"

Go see a professional before you clot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You wouldn't be asking if it was broken, trust me.

Not necessarily true:
I was horsing around a few years back and bent my hand (left) backwards (wrong direction) basically till it touched the upside of my forearm.  YES it hurt.  IIRC it was on a Saturday night and I was already drinking (read: scorched).  Felt it more the next day and come Monday went to my doc for X-rays/Rx/etc.  I was sure I broke something.  Turned out it was a bad sprain and he then went on to comment on how my hand had sure healed nicely from the previous break.  I then tried to explain to him that I had never broken a bone in my body.  He proved me wrong with X-ray.  At some previous point I broke my hand and never knew it.  And for you smart-asses....I'm right handed...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#35]

post when ya get a real injury
go see a doc ya knucklehead
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Well in the famous words of my father if you aint bleeding you are fine.

As a smart person if y ou think it is broke go to the doc
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/19suburban96/BLIT0905.jpg

post when ya get a real injury

"But I've still got one good leg!"

go see a doc ya knucklehead

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Does your arm look like this?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top