Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 1:38:25 PM EDT
I may have spent a little too much this weekend but I did have a great time. I bought my first FAL. Its a DSA SA58. I got it for $1300 with a weaver mount and 5 rd mag. I'm not sure if it was a great deal or not because I don't know that much about them. But I have seen them run around $1500 on the DSA websight. I do have a couple questions about it though. The guy told me it was a pre ban but the barrel sticks out flush with the end of the flash hider. Why is that? Also on the selector switch on the lower reciever, why does it have a "E" and "D"? I know the "S" means safe but why does the hammer drop on both the "D" and "E"? Also, where is a good place online where I can order good quality cheap metric 20rd mags? I bought a 200rd battle pak of 308 cal for $43 bucks. It was Hirtenberger from Austria. Is this pretty good ammo?

I also bought a pre ban Norinco Polytech AK47/S National Match with heavy barrel, threaded muzzle and side scope mount for $900. It came with cleaning kit in the buttstock, 30rd mag, thread protector, flash hider, sling, and oil bottle. It looks brand new with excellent finish and dark furniture.

And before I got out of there I bought a pair of Night Owl russian night vision goggles for $600. Its 1st generation but they work great and are very clear. If your looking for a cheap pair of hands free goggles that will see in total darkness I recommend these. They are great.

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on guys, can anyone help me with my questions??
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I don't know shit about those.

I do think calling any AK "National Match" is totally and laughably ridiculous. As if! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
OK. I'll help ya.

[b]I got it for $1300 with a weaver mount and 5 rd mag. I'm not sure if it was a great deal or not because I don't know that much about them.[/b]

It is about full retail. You can get them for cheaper. Go to gunsamerica.com. They are cheaper there. Gun shows pray off the "impulse buy" phenominon. Chances are, at a show, you will overpay for something you never even know you really wanted just because it's there, and tangiable.

[b]The guy told me it was a pre ban but the barrel sticks out flush with the end of the flash hider. Why is that?[/b]

Because he lied to you. It isn't a pre-ban. It is a US parts gun, made with US parts to get around the ban.

[b]Also, where is a good place online where I can order good quality cheap metric 20rd mags?[/b]

[url]www.tapco.com[/url]

[b]I bought a 200rd battle pak of 308 cal for $43 bucks. It was Hirtenberger from Austria. Is this pretty good ammo? [/b]

Yes. It's awesome ammo. I was under the impression it was steel case, but I have since found out it isn't. Based solely on preformance, Hirt kicks ass for the price.

[b]I also bought a pre ban Norinco Polytech AK47/S National Match with heavy barrel, threaded muzzle and side scope mount for $900. It came with cleaning kit in the buttstock, 30rd mag, thread protector, flash hider, sling, and oil bottle. It looks brand new with excellent finish and dark furniture. [/b]

Nice gun, but tthe prices of Pre-Ban AK's has been dropping since SAR's came out. As far as a shooter goes, it used to be some guys were willing to pay the pre-ban premium for the pistol grip. Since the $300 Pistol Gripped SAR AK's came out, that buying demographic is gone, thus, less demand for them. They are still awesome though. But you paid a lot for "collectability" there.

[b]And before I got out of there I bought a pair of Night Owl russian night vision goggles for $600. Its 1st generation but they work great and are very clear. If your looking for a cheap pair of hands free goggles that will see in total darkness I recommend these. They are great. [/b]

NV Rocks. Huh [@:D] I have a NV Scope on a Rimfire rifle of mine. They are tooooo cool.

[/quote]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Nighthawk:

You might have gotten taken.

1.  All DSA's are post ban.

2.  You probably have a DSA receiver on a kit gun.  Either the DSA STG-58 gun--the muzzle brake looks like a Stoll Flash hider (ringed near the back, with prongs in front--some have holes drilled in them as a muzzle brake, some don't), or a kit gun built by who knows?

3.  The bad news is that dealer cost on the STG-58 kit guns (factory built by DSA on their receiver with a used Stg-58 parts kit and US made parts to be legal) is only $795.  These are some of the best kit guns out there.

What are the exact markings on the receiver?  Actually, go to [url]www.l1a1.com[/url] and ask there--they can really help you out (it is the FNFAL Files board).

As to ammo, go to [url]www.ammoman.com[/url] and look at his prices.  They are shipping included, and are generally the cheapest around.

You may have overpaid on the gun, but it is still a fine weapon.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I guess it is a post ban but oh well, live and learn I guess. I figured it was a good price since it was new in box and the same gun on DSA websight is $200 more than what I paid for it plus I didn't have to pay taxes or a handling fee from a FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey NightHawk, enjoy your toys.  I try to get good deals at gun shows (who doesn't?) but after awhile, get what you want, do the best you can, and just have some fun and don't worry about squeezing out the very last dollar's worth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
"S" is safe, "E" is semi-auto, and "D" is full-auto. Since these are not full auto guns, "D" functions as "E". In the Belgium FALs, it's "S", "R", and "A". The Austrians had to be different.

Check out [url]www.aimsurplus.com[/url] for cases of Hirtenberger. It's been $169+shipping for months.

Also, if the barrel is new and the handguards are plastic, it's most likely an SA58, not an STG58, so you probably just paid retail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top