Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2005 4:28:53 PM EDT
actually happened. He said he had personal knowledge of the event. According to him, walking on the moon is quite a kick.

Pretty educational chewing the fat with an Apollo astronaut. Don't pass up the chance if it ever presents itself.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:31:39 PM EDT

people never landed on the moon....

wtf is he talking about?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:39:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:40:30 PM EDT
We landed on the moon?

NO WAY!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:44:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:45:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:

Originally Posted By Burley:
We landed on the moon?

NO WAY!

No, we didn't. The Apollo astronauts did.

SURE they did!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:49:01 PM EDT
Which astronaut was it? I met Neil Armstrong once a long time ago, real nice guy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:49:12 PM EDT
Name, address, email, the whole nine yards.

He is the only geologist to ever kick rocks on the moon. He was also a western senator. That should pretty much nail it down.

He'll have a book coming out soon that will detail some Apollo history and speculation on why we should go back. He and his wife were very nice to my children and even left them with some souvenirs.

Very cool.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:06:44 PM EDT by COZ_45]
Living in Houston all but three years of my 49, I have had occasion to meet and talk with several astronauts including a few that walked the lunar landscape.

All are and/or were consumate professionals who impressed me with their understated matter-of-fact "I do complicated astronaut shit" daily.

I sat and spoke with three of the now-departed Challenger astronauts in the 80's and will never forget having a couple of beers next to Judy Reznik in the 80's.

These people, some of whom have served in the armed services, others who have not, all impressed me as true American heroes.

If you doubt that, think about strapping yourself into a seat atop enough explosives to level most U.S. cities and heading into weight less obilvion where a small piece of a metor could turn your habitation into nothing but an oxygen-deprived coffin.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:00:36 PM EDT by twonami]
Only name that comes to mind is Harrison Schmitt. Last mission was the one with the geologist.
ETA: from wilkpedia
One of the last two men to set foot on the Moon was also the first scientist-astronaut, geologist Harrison Schmitt. While Evans circled in "America," Schmitt and Cernan collected a record 108.86 kilograms of rocks during three Moonwalks. The crew roamed for 33.80 kilometers through the Taurus-Littrow valley in their rover, discovered orange-colored soil, and left the most comprehensive set of instruments in the ALSEP on the lunar surface. Their mission was the last in the Apollo lunar program.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
Yep.

He said if you ever see dehydrated salmon salad listed as "astronaut food" that actually went on a lunar mission it probably is.......because it was so horrid that no one ate it and it always returned with them.

Like I said, very educational with lots of little insights.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:34:33 PM EDT
and why would anyone think we didnt?

dont give me bs about no shadows in the pics thats why b.s.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:45:26 PM EDT
Some people refuse to recognize the greatness, potential and spirit of the USA.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:20:02 PM EDT
Great thread!
Top Top