Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 2:00:45 AM EDT
Yeah, I brokedown and purchased a Romanian SAR1. Wanted a "cheapie" shooter, you know?
Taking it to the range for the first time tomorrow, damn cosmoline grease everywhere! Any SAR1 owners want to enlighten me with opinions on this rifle? [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Call me a sell out too.

I have another variant of the AK but my heart still lies with the AR15!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I sold my WUM-1 six months ago, and I already want a new one.
They are just a fun gun to have. They are also a great gun to start your non-shooting friends on, idiot proof.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I sold my WUM-1 six months ago, and I already want a new one.
They are just a fun gun to have. They are also a great gun to start your non-shooting friends on, idiot proof.
View Quote

Isn't the WUM-1 the one you could put a pocket watch in the thumbhole cutout?

Unless they made pistola versions for the US market.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw one of Global Trades (Houston, Texas) Bulgarian milled receiver US-parts AKs at the Mesquite Gun Show yesterday, and it looked a lot more authentic than most of my pre-bans!

Global Trades is doing some pretty awesome work on post-ban AKs. The one I was looking at was $750.00, but IMHO, well worth it.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
COMMUNISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...almost bought one....$250....pretty cheap shootin`, eh?,,,[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't feel bad. I have 3 ( MAK90, SAR1, SAR2 )

I think I'm done though. Time for more FALs I think.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Time for more FALs I think.
View Quote

Oh yes...that's next!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently sold my sa-93...  now I have 10 ak mags just sitting there so I am thinking of getting an ak variant I saw at the Gunshow.  It is made here in texas!!!  It has the slanted muzzle brake deal and pistol grip and accepts high caps.  they run 500 bucks though.  they look nice . I beleive they have a magazine hold open device too from what i saw...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
sold my mak 90 few months ago.that was on fantasic rifle.never not one stoppage.cleaned it once in a while.traded it for a superblackhawk 44 mag.money wise fair trade.ive seen mak-90s at gun shows nib for 350.ill definatly pick one up at some point.at that price why not.
i just fell in love with the .223 rnd so maby ill get one in that cal.already have my AR OF COURSE AND A MINI 14 FOR SHITS N GIGGLES.
as far as bang for the buck an ak-47 is tops,makaroves are good value too BTW.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#10]
sold my mak 90 few months ago.that was on fantasic rifle.never not one stoppage.cleaned it once in a while.traded it for a superblackhawk 44 mag.money wise fair trade.ive seen mak-90s at gun shows nib for 350.ill definatly pick one up at some point.at that price why not.
i just fell in love with the .223 rnd so maby ill get one in that cal.already have my AR OF COURSE AND A MINI 14 FOR SHITS N GIGGLES.
as far as bang for the buck an ak-47 is tops,makaroves are good value too BTW.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I first grabbed one because I wasnt going to have the option any longer here.
First time I disassembeled it, I was in love. Utter simplicity. Cheap ammo, cheap mags, never breaks, could use better sights.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both also.  Wonderful rifle for what it is.  It's fun and cheap all the way around.  It will never replace my AR tho.  Apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]
There is an adjustable rear sight at tapco. Still not the best but it is an improvement.

http://www.tapco.com/store/products.asp?dept=14&d_name=AK+and+MAK+Accessories

BTW Global's AKs are advertised for $469 in Shotgun news. $700 is high way robbery!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yes...that's next!
View Quote

Umm next!!!  I can sell you one.  Just dust off that credit card. I haven't charged anything to it in at least a couple of weeks.[}:D]

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Sell out?

I am the proud owner of a misr and a sar-2.  Granted they are junk compared to my ar, but I like them just the same.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]
i got to keep my ak and ar seperarate they tenf to start fighting when im not paying attention
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Romania isn't a communist country,I'll bet your AR has a feeding jam LONG before that there AK.Waverunner,just wait till you get to bumping that sucker,YEEEHAAWWWWW!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I got one of the Gordon Technologies' guns.  Milled receiver and nice parkerized finish. Put on new walnut and she looks presentable.

The AK is the most demonized, vilified rifle that I can think of.  Whenever the media want's to sensationalize a shooting, they throw up an AK photo.

Plus I really "needed" one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a SAR-2 on the way from AIM. I still love shooting my Bushy though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
just wait till you get to bumping that sucker,YEEEHAAWWWWW!!!!!!!
View Quote

Explain this to me please???
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Grin&Barrett:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yes...that's next!
View Quote

Umm next!!!  I can sell you one.  Just dust off that credit card. I haven't charged anything to it in at least a couple of weeks.[}:D]

View Quote

Slow down there Grin....let me clear up some of that balance first OK???[0:)] (What else do you have available for sale? Send me a complete list!!![}:D]) Yeah where do you think all this money comes from anyway, I'm doing ALOT of overtime to pay for all this stuff I'm buying off you!!![0:)] (Send me a complete list via e-mail, snail mail, call me, I just have to know...let me know NOW[}:D]) AAARARRRRRGGGHH!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I also defected this weekend, Romanian WUM ans is she sweet! Maybe some day I'll find that AR that is as reliable.....I did see the reciever of the new Armalite 180 at the gunshow.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Waverunner,"Bumping" allows you to empty a 30 round magazine in like 3 seconds.You usually can't do this at a range(it will get you tossed mighty quickly by a range officer).In order to BUMP fire your AK,insert a full 30rnd magazine and load the first round into chamber.Hold the buttstock at hip level and you have to sort of support it with your arm but not hold onto  it in any way with your trigger hand(I find if I rest the Buttstock on top of my hip and hold the side of the buttstock AGAINST my side),put your middle finger into the trigger guard(I use the middle finger as it is longer than the trigger-index- finger and the rifle can't jump off).With your finger on the trigger(in the trigger guard),with your other hand using a FIRM GRIP on the lower forearm pull the rifle away from your trigger hand.Once the first round fires you have to concentrate on holding the rifle in place,but if you do the recoil of the rifle will drop the hammer on the succeeding rounds simulating FULL AUTO FIRE.WARNING;this is not F/A as in reality you are pulling the trigger for every shot,but the rate of fire will be much faster than you would think possible.This can be dangerous as  the gun can get away from you so if you lose control you MUST REMEMBER TO PUSH YOUR TRIGGER FINGER FORWARD TO CEASE THE FIRE.Another thing to look out for is the barrel temperature,if you burn though several magazines this way without letting the barrel cool down,it will heat up your barrel enough to melt the weld in a muzzle brake.I've had my barrel Devil RED HOT.This is by no means a safe way to operate your AK SO BE CAREFULL.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Variety is the spice of life.....

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1482572&a=11168737&p=39028380[/img]

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1482572&a=11168737&p=39028644[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I recently purchased a MAADI MISR and I've got to say it was well worth the $300. Now I've got to find more mags, a few cases of ammo, etc.
Another addiction in the making!
[pyro]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top