Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 7:54:35 AM EDT
We were scheduled to go to Iraq all hyped up, srp'd then it got cancelled.  I decided I better go back to school so I did I am half way through and I joined ROTC.  Now I realize I am young and stupid but for some reason it seems like I should be over there not finishing school. Everyone I know who has been to combat said I made the right decision to finish college.  I am meeting a lot of people in ROTC who are saying part of the reason they are in it is so they dont get deployed.  That makes me feel really shitty.

Anyways most people say you dont want to be a cherry infantryman in a combat zone.

I dont know I just hope I get a chance to prove myself in combat and get some revenge (i guess i am stupid to ever want to go to war)
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Your time will come.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
(i guess i am stupid to ever want to go to war)

I don't think so. If I were young enough to enlist, I would have on 9/12/2001. What you are feeling is Patriotism, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Your smart, why go to iraq as a PFC if you can go as a 2nd LT. Being a private sucks especially in guard units cause everyone else has been in for a while and already has rank. So you are the guy who gets to investigate the IED.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We were scheduled to go to Iraq all hyped up, srp'd then it got cancelled.  I decided I better go back to school so I did I am half way through and I joined ROTC.  Now I realize I am young and stupid but for some reason it seems like I should be over there not finishing school. Everyone I know who has been to combat said I made the right decision to finish college.  I am meeting a lot of people in ROTC who are saying part of the reason they are in it is so they dont get deployed.  That makes me feel really shitty.

Anyways most people say you dont want to be a cherry infantryman in a combat zone.

I dont know I just hope I get a chance to prove myself in combat and get some revenge (i guess i am stupid to ever want to go to war)

How long do you have to finish college?  I'm pretty sure the military will be in the area in some capacity or another for years to come, so it may not be much of an issue.  I have 2 years left to complete a degree, but I am enlisting come spring.  My view about shit details and such are yes they have to suck, but if you aren't willing to perform any task you are qualified to do then should you really be over there?  With that said, if you plan to make the military a life long career, of course finish college first.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel like I should be there. If Bush gets re-elected I'll join the Guard.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#8]

You're time will come.

Yep... we will be at war for for the next 20 years in one way or the other.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Screw being a Officer!

I did 6 years in Airborne Infantry and 7 years in Armor and had several chances to go to OCS but always passed.

Yea , guards duty , KP , details , etc. all suck , but the life of a EM is best.  Hard to explain , just trust me on this.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am meeting a lot of people in ROTC who are saying part of the reason they are in it is so they dont get deployed.  That makes me feel really shitty.

I am not a military person, so take this for what it is worth...I don't think you should ever feel guilty about how others perceive you. You know for what reasons you made your decision...who cares what anyone else thinks?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Odd. I must be doing something wrong. I'm a 1LT, and usually I'm the guy going up to the IED...

NTM
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#12]
raven:

I feel like I should be there. If Bush gets re-elected I'll join the Guard.

as much as it hurts to say it, its true. you serve the country, not the man.
if you wanna join, come play. but N.G. always gets the shit end of the stick. just do it all the way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Screw being a Officer!

I did 6 years in Airborne Infantry and 7 years in Armor and had several chances to go to OCS but always passed.

Yea , guards duty , KP , details , etc. all suck , but the life of a EM is best.  Hard to explain , just trust me on this.

Same here,

Some people consiter me high speed, and always offer to get me into OCS, I just want to stay enlisted though.

I don't know why but being an Officer is just not my thing.
MANY people are in OCS because they don't want to go, It really ticks me off, because one day they will be in charge of me.

I, like you, also hope one day I will go to war, and see some actual combat.
I can't explain that one either, but it sure pisses my family off!

Getting deployed in 8 days!!!! (Not Iraq though)
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Screw being a Officer!

I understand I was enlisted till about 3 months ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top