Posted: 2/15/2002 4:34:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
that is f'd up  [:(]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude.....If the worst thing you have ever seen is a dog get hit by a car and not ran over and killed or even badly injured then you should consider yourself very lucky.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Worse thing I ever saw was back in 1981. I was stationed in a little town by in Haiti called Petionville. It was Carnavale, where everyone in the country drinks and dances everyday, all day and they do it for a week straight. I was walking, when I look up and see a drunk Haitian soldier trip and fall. On the way down apparently drops his rifle or he kept his finger on the trigger; causing one round to shot off half of another soldier's head off.
I could see into his cranial cavity...it was beyond words. The guy just dropped, I dont think he ever knew what hit him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Some woman hit my dog when I was a kid.  Shattered the dog's leg but we loaded her (the dog, not the inept driver) in the back of the stationwagon and took her to the vet.  Somehow, the vet repaired the bone and pinned it back together.  After a few months, the dog was running around like nothing had happened.  Of course, the only dogs I've ever had were Great Danes, so when she hit the dog, it completely fucked up the front end of her car.

Still makes me smile to think my dog took on a car...and kicked its ass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Col, if that's the worse thing you have ever seen, you have been very fortunate.  I hope you stay that luchy, but the odds are against it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Last July 3rd, I responded as a fireman and first responder to a two vehicle accident. we literally had to use two wreckers and the jaws of life to remove a eleven year old girls body from the van. She was in my sons class at school, and we knew her and her family very well. Please excuse me if I don't cry for a dog.
If this is the worst you ever see, count yourself lucky.  fullclip
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
well, colonel, i can understand how you feel.  i've never seen the actual accidents, but i worked in a vet back in college.  saw the results of some serious crap:  all human caused, and some of it on purpose.

gives new meaning to the bumper sticker that reads "the more people i meet, the more i like my dog".

i think i would have cried like a baby for days had i seen that.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the worse thing that I have ever seen was many years ago, when I walked out of the Spartanburg Public Library and saw a young girl of about 14 get hit by a car.  She apparently smashed her face into the concrete/road and most of her teeth were knocked out.  She was screaming and moaning, and salava and blood was pouring from her mouth.  Someone came over and put a coat over her exposed legs, but the driver of the car never got out!  She just sat there while the girl screamed and screamed.

That was probably about 35 years ago, and the image of that poor girl is burned into my mind.  I never knew what eventually became of her, but I am almost sure she survived.  But the sight of her bleeding uncontrolably and being in such terror will never leave my memory.  I have prayed on many occasions that she would be alright.  

She was just a child, not much younger than I was.  It was the first time I had seen such horror and pain.  Her anguish will be with me the rest of my life.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked for an ambulance service for a while, and saw nothing particularly disturbing.  Practically NOTHING ever happened on my shifts. I saw much more blood drawn via syringe than I did from any injury.

But, I also worked for a funeral home and I was the guy who made various pickups and deliveries. Pickups out of the back door of the hospital, and from the coroner's office.  Deliveries to the crematorium and of course to the cemeteries.
The occasional removal of freshly dead, warm hospice patients from their own homes and from nursing homes.

I assure you, I've seen it all.  I've watched autopsies, and seen the results of accidents that were much like an autopsy but much faster and messier.

I have to say that I discovered I'm not squeamish at all.   It doesn't bug me, and I'm always surprised when I realize that.

I've had to haul a body from one stretcher to another, and take several trips to do it.

That job resulted in my encountering the single STRANGEST smell I've ever encountered in my life.  It was from a pile of bones laid out neatly on a few examination tables that used to be a hooker that disappeared and was found after spending six months dead and stuffed into a trash can.  There was no flesh left on the bones (it had been removed by boiling it off, standard procedure with some medical examiners in cases like this) so it wasn't THAT kind of smell.

It WAS, though, the ODDEST smell I've ever encountered.  It was so weird that I can't even describe it as a bad smell, or a good one. but it was so distinctive I can recall it clearly now as I write this and think about it.

The only place I've ever seen worse than what I've seen in real life is from the worst of the pictures you can find at rotten.com and ernieshouseofwhoopass.com and steakandcheese.com .

An injured dog is upsetting, especially if it's yours, but if that's the worst you've seen, you're one lucky mother.

I love animals myself, and I have a very good touch in handling them, and I'll admit that it was pretty disturbing to see a live baby opossum next to its dead roadkilled mother once.  I actually turned around to rescue the baby (I was working that day) but by the time I got back around, the baby had disappeared entirely.  Maybe another animal got it, I don't know.  But I tried.  (Incidentally, possums are fairly safe to handle.  Their body temperature is too low to support the rabies virus.)

CJ

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Worse thing I've seen.  I was driving back from Winipeg one night with my girlfriend of that time.  It was at night around 10pm.  We drove into what I first thought was fog but soon realized it was smoke.  It was extremely thick so I had to slow way down.  As I continued on I was some headlights in the ditch so I slowed even more.  Finally I got the the lights and found some kind of service truck in the middle of the road and a semi on the other side.   There were five or six bodies laid all through out the ditch, one hanging out of the truck.  I imediatly called 911 and as soon as I did that a ton of emergency vehicles showed up.  I remember it like it was yesturday.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to work in a neonatal ICU -- the place they put extremely sick newborns.

Eh.  I'd better not go on about that. . . .  But it doesn't end, there's always a new one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Flight 255 right after it crashed outside of Detroit Metro. There was smoke and pieces of people everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The worst: My son after a lung operation.

Second worst:  A guy thrown from and crushed by his car.

Third place tie: A guy shot. A woman stabbed by her boyfriend.

Animals don't bother me anymore.

Eddie
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
The rotten corpse of an overweight man in his mid-fifties, hauled out of his apartment about 6 weeks after his demise. In August...
The sight itself wasn't that overwhelming, but the stench penetrates every braincell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My dads a fire fighter so he sees a lot worse than this. but I have never seen anything this disturbing before I have seen pictures worse than this before but that is nothing as scary as being there It was like part of me was injured with the dog cause I felt so bad for it.
View Quote

Sell yer guns.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't even have to tell you about what I saw on September 11 2001.[usa]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I tend to push the grisliest things out of my mind. If I was to pick one thing that I believe to be the worst I ever seen FIRST HAND, I would have to pick the Pope Air Force Base crash. It still brings a tear from time to time when I think about the fellow paratroopers who lost their lives due to some punk F-16 drivers who decided to eject from their aircraft and cause so much loss of life. I'll never forget the convergence on the hospital when people were running to volunteer help as the helicopters were dropping off the dead and dying. Cars literally were parked all over the lawn and medical personnel and others were bailing out of pickups to come to the aid of the fallen. The smell is also something you won't soon forget.
"Strike Hold"
HHC 1/504 PIR, 82nd Airborne Division
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#20]
ColonelKlink, you must have lived a very sheltered life.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Ground Zero on 9/11, saw a half torched corpse hanging from a metal pole through his (I like to think of it as an IT) leg.  Disemboweled and beheaded with his genitals hanging out.  Seemed like the another part of the movie I had seen played out that day, so it didn't get me until I looked at my pictures back at my apartment.  All of the bodies were headless down there, almost all were disemboweled and it felt like a demon had come and taken the parts he liked, kinda like a recent movie.  I just try and think of it as a movie and its A O K.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#22]
the worst thyng i ever saw (& smelled) was when i was about 9 years old, i went into the city to visit my city cousins, myself & two cousins & three neighbor kids were on our way walking to a ball game (circa 1948ad), there was a railroad spur that went past Grandmas house & a switcher was moving some box cars, when about 20 feet in front of was a drunk..., he walked right into the slow moving train..., right in front of us we saw that man get ground up lyke a quarter of beef going into a commercial meat grinder, the train stopped, then moved in the opposite direction, us kids were screaming along wyth some others who saw what happened, a BEAT cop showed up & all he cud do was blow his whistle, more cops come running up, one of them ushered us away, but not bfore we saw what we saw.., it was the bloodiest mess i ever saw & in the 50+ years since !! one other was when i was in the Navy, on the USS Randolph CVA-15, a man got blown off the flight deck & was impaled on a 2" stantion post.., i just happened to be there, some how, he lurched & pulled himself free & fell into my arms, i looked over his shoulder & saw foamy, bubbly blood  oozing from his chest, i jamed my fist into the wound & in a few minutes we were surounded by medics, i had to walk along side of him till we got to sick bay when a doctor had to pull my fist from his chest & said "i'll take over from here, you done well !!"

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Stupid Dog!!!  What the fuck was it doing in the road?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
did he live?
either way, good job on the quick thinking

Quoted:
one other was when i was in the Navy, on the USS Randolph CVA-15, a man got blown off the flight deck & was impaled on a 2" stantion post.., i just happened to be there, some how, he lurched & pulled himself free & fell into my arms, i looked over his shoulder & saw foamy, bubbly blood  oozing from his chest, i jamed my fist into the wound & in a few minutes we were surounded by medics, i had to walk along side of him till we got to sick bay when a doctor had to pull my fist from his chest & said "i'll take over from here, you done well !!"

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
ya dont get out much do ya?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
With many years of Coroner's office, ambulance, fire dept., there are a lot of ugly sights out there.  Like was said, shit happens and that's the only way to describe things at times.  

But miracles do happen once in a while like boy lost arms in corn auger, but reattached and has limited usage; girl in coma for 7 weeks but finished high school, college, and has regular job; fireman threw cat, he thought dead, out window, bounce on ground brought it back to life, kids yelling throw the other one. Sometimes you get lucky and it's a damn good feeling.

Ponder this and see if good happenings sound a bit better:  Farmer caught in PTO of tractor, basically skinned leg above knee, part of abdomen, and genitals, before they got it shut down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Colonel you are a lucky person who has led a sheltered life. Everyone should be so lucky. I have seen people killed on construction sites and trafic accidents as well. Last week my next door neighbors house burned down during the night and they did not make it out. This sight gave me one of the most aweful feelings in my life because there was nothing I could and I knew they were inside that house.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Klink I feel your pain...last night I poured the last of my Balvinie 'Doublewood' Scotch, (12 yrs old)I had a good three fingers and was looking forward to finishing Capt. Stu Herrington's, Vietnam classic, 'Silence was a Weapon', second read. I was rearranging the pillows when I heard a terrible crash. I looked to my left and the scotch that was sitting on a large pile of books next to the bed was gone. I was shattered, what shit luck. I looked over the pile and to my amazement the glass flipped a 360 and landed right side up on the table without losing a ice cube. Talk about luck. Lost about a 'finger' to the rug, but slept like a baby after the read. Dreamed about pink lice most of the night, but it's better than listening to your eyelids blink till morning.

gib187th
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]
RobertInMaine...
strike hold buddy, we had a ceremony in rememberance not to long ago on the anniversary.  Was not there myself but it made me appreciate the sacrifices of my countless predecessors that much more.  

ATW
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Decades ago, I'm driving my two young sisters to school in my Dad's big heavy car. I driving through a subdivision, real slow.

Suddenly a cat comes dashing across the road trying to get between my front wheels and the rear. Well, I wasn't going that slow and kitty's back legs and its ass were crushed FLAT. I stopped and saw the mess. It was obvious that not vet was going to possibly fix this cat and judged that it had about 1-2mins of agony left.

I got back in the car and, my sisters screamiing away, I reversed and crushed the cat's head – simply to put it quckly out of its agony. This done, I got out of the car with the intention of kicking the carcass into the kerb. That's when the 8yr old little girl who owned the cat came running up, followed by her mother. Both had seen the whole thing.

The woman understood but, the little girl...!

Christ, what a morning and it was only 8:30am.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#31]
The worst thing I ever saw. I've seen several fatalities and rudely violent accidents in my twenty years as a skydiver. Violent impacts with the ground, bodies bouncing 50-60 feet. Some lived, some didnt.
When I first started skydiving, 1982, I was at a winter meet in Kingston Ontario. It was December, the ground was frozen, and there was little snow. A girl named Sue was jumping. I didnt know her, but she had just invited everyone to her place that nite for a Valentines day party, so I had just met her.
It was an accuracy competition so everyone was exiting at at 2500' and we were all watching. She deployed her pilot chute but it didnt extract the main canopy. She did nothing to correct the problem and never pulled her reserve. She impacted about one hundred yards away on frozen ground as hard as concrete. It sounded like a gunshot when she hit. I was the first one to her. She didnt look even like a person I cant describe what she looked like except that there was steam coming from the body where it had split in places.
That wasnt the worst thing I have seen. The worst thing was watching her boyfriend run up and down in front of the hangar calling her name. Everyone new it was her, but he was calling her name.God it was awful, I can still feel that mans pain. I will never forget that scene.
BP
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Last night I responded to an MVA, 4 cars full envolved (fire). A national guards man , very ETOH (entoxicated), rearended a young lady. Flipped the car she was in into 2 parked cars, setting all vehivles on fire. Drunk guardsman trys to pull lady from fire and receives burns over 70% of his body. Lady burns to death. Oh yeah she was three months pregnant. How was your weekend?

R35
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Was he in a hummer?
We used to get so drunk on drills. We would all go to the bar at about 10 or 11, and start drinking. Whenever we convoyed, there would be 40s in each hummer plus jack or vodka.
There were times we would just get ripped drunk. Guys would be throwing up and pissing in the barracks floor left and right.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#35]
You are doing NOTHING to make me feel safer, knowing the national guard is on the job.

I REALLY hope you're kidding, otherwise I feel justified in using the stick on you and your buddies.  [stick]

CJ

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I tend to push the grisliest things out of my mind. If I was to pick one thing that I believe to be the worst I ever seen FIRST HAND, I would have to pick the Pope Air Force Base crash. It still brings a tear from time to time when I think about the fellow paratroopers who lost their lives due to some punk F-16 drivers who decided to eject from their aircraft and cause so much loss of life. I'll never forget the convergence on the hospital when people were running to volunteer help as the helicopters were dropping off the dead and dying. Cars literally were parked all over the lawn and medical personnel and others were bailing out of pickups to come to the aid of the fallen. The smell is also something you won't soon forget.
"Strike Hold"
View Quote

What the fuck do you mean "punk F-16 drivers". They didn't punch out aiming for people on the ground believe me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Strike Hold"
View Quote

What the fuck do you mean "punk F-16 drivers". They didn't punch out aiming for people on the ground believe me.
View Quote

[url]http://www.time.com/time/magazine/archive/1995/950529/950529.military.html[/url]
[url]http://members.tripod.com/~stefan317/desert/crash.html[/url]

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Was he in a hummer?
We used to get so drunk on drills. We would all go to the bar at about 10 or 11, and start drinking. Whenever we convoyed, there would be 40s in each hummer plus jack or vodka.
There were times we would just get ripped drunk. Guys would be throwing up and pissing in the barracks floor left and right.
View Quote

NO WONDER YOU GUYS SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE ASS!

No he was in an F250.

R35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top