Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 9:43:48 AM EDT
I thought it was a well made movie, great photagraphy and special effects, it was in Mandarin with English sub titles..if you liked "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" you will probably like HERO too
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw it yesterday ..   agree great movie..

but I do have a question...

why all the fly/fighting/air-dancing ?

is that some chinesse culture thing I dont know about or just for the movie..

alot of this happened during "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" they did alot of this flying dancing thingy...   I thought it was just part of the movie magic and nothing more...

but now I see it in the new movie " HERO "

does this mean anything? < the flying parts >

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it has to do with mythology and to make the movie more entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought it was a well made movie, great photagraphy and special effects, it was in Mandarin with English sub titles..if you liked "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" you will probably like HERO too

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it has to do with mythology and to make the movie more entertaining.

Absolutely, it has to do with mythology integrated into any culture. The previews look great, I have to watch it.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I guess I'm the voice of dissent then.

I did not like it.
Film quality was good, acting was decent, plot was OK (not great).

I just felt like they were distracting me too much with all the flying around special effects stuff.
The "mushy feel good" crap kind of got to me as well.

Maybe I just saw it on one of my off days, but I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
what's the difference between "kung" and "gung"?  a "g" and a "k"?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bruce Lee always pronounced it "GUNG FU" thats the Cantonese way of saying it

just depends on how you like to pronouce it

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw it yesterday ..   agree great movie..

but I do have a question...

alot of this happened during "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" they did alot of this flying dancing thingy...   I thought it was just part of the movie magic and nothing more...

Chinese lore reguarding the mystical skill of "masters" of their chosen martial arts.
i believe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, this movie was NOT made in or for the U.S.  Has been out in Japane for ahwile now. If it wasnt for Quintin T. (sp?) it would not be here.

And I agree, good movie.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought the movie was excellent.  The cinematography was "lighter" than "Crouching Tiger...".  The story was legend so it would not have the nuance of a Hollyweird item or the narrow focus of an independent.  I believe other Chinese film makers have done this story but this is the first that's hit our shores full force.  

For a modern Chinese movie check out "Together", the story a father and son (a violin prodigy) coming to know each other better through their common struggle towards a better life.  China is changing and this is a reflection of the various effects it has on the characters.

When you watch movies like "Together" (China), "A Taxing Woman" (Japan), or "Bend it Like Beckham" (India) you get some hope that we're more alike than different.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually saw Hero about 6 months ago on a DVD that was brought back from China. My son is a film school student and somehow gets access to such things.  I thought it was very well done and I enjoyed it.

I like some foreign films. Getting tired of the same old Hollywood formula films and stereotypical character development. See, my son is actually teaching me something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Did anyone get the moral behind the story?

It kinda pissed me off. Kinda telling people to just intergrate and give up. I also have a problem with some of the translations but thats not important.

Maybe there was no moral and it was just telling a story and im being picky.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It kinda pissed me off. Kinda telling people to just intergrate and give up. I also have a problem with some of the translations but thats not important.

+1!  I thought exactly the same thing - the moral of the story seemed to be just let tyrants rape, plunder, and kill because they are really doing it for the "common good".   Really reeked of propaganda to me, and all in all not surprising given that it was made in communist China.  

IMHO, the supposed "Hero" characters should be especially despised as they had the means to remove a tyrant and failed to do so.    I guess I'm more of a "Red Dawn" sort of movie guy, where heroism means fighting for freedom, instead of allowing tyranny to continue - and kill you in the process.

Good fight scenes, though - with not too much over the top stuff.

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]
What exatly did quinten tarention have to do with this movie? All it says is that he "presents it"...it was directed and produced by someone else.

Great movie though! I loved it....expect for the whole flying thing. I'm not a big fan of that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What exatly did quinten tarention have to do with this movie? All it says is that he "presents it"...it was directed and produced by someone else.

Great movie though! I loved it....expect for the whole flying thing. I'm not a big fan of that.

Miramax had the rights to it in the US and was supposed to release it two years ago but shelved it.  It was only at Quinten Tarentino's insistance that they finally agreed to release it, provided they could attach his name to it so that they could ride off the popularity of Kill Bill.  Other than that he had nothing to do with it in any way.  This probably marks one of the few times where a movie has been out for 2 years and spends two weeks #1 on the Summer movie charts.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
..........but I do have a question...

Reminds me of Saturday afternoon KungFu theatre when I was a kid (ala 70's)
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IIRC,

The "K" in kung fu, is actually closer to the "G" sound then that "K" sound.

So bruce lee and others took to writing it/ saying it gung fu, to be closer to the original pronounciation.

Its like changing Thad to just Tad.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
It was enjoyable.  

The best description I could come up with was "Crouching Tiger remade by an 80's music video director."
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!  I thought exactly the same thing - the moral of the story seemed to be just let tyrants rape, plunder, and kill because they are really doing it for the "common good".   Really reeked of propaganda to me, and all in all not surprising given that it was made in communist China.  

IMHO, the supposed "Hero" characters should be especially despised as they had the means to remove a tyrant and failed to do so.    I guess I'm more of a "Red Dawn" sort of movie guy, where heroism means fighting for freedom, instead of allowing tyranny to continue - and kill you in the process.

Good fight scenes, though - with not too much over the top stuff.

Rocko

+1! Too much flying for my tastes. The "I am nothing when compaired to the 'Collective' " got to me too. And not to give it away, I'm still wondering how girlie got dude up on top o' the mountain in exactly the same position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top