Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 7:34:23 AM EDT
Excellent war drama.  You'd never guess that it was done on such a small budget (less than 1 million).  Not much action until the last 20 minutes, but the running gun battles at the end are just phenomenal.

If you want Rambo, this isn't your movie.  That's not to say the fighting is bad.  It's just that the combat isn't glorified.  It's more about the people than the combat.  In fact, the real story is how different people cope in the hellish death and destruction of war.  Some here might consider it a little limp, but I loved it.  If you're the type that enjoys Casablanca, To Kill a Mockingbird, or other classics where the story is as important (or more important) than lots of special effects, you'll like this.  It left me so thoughtful I had a hard time sleeping last night.

Here's a short summary:  A group of escaped American POW's and one British spy are trying to make it back to allied lines with some important intel.  The main character is a corporal (sharpshooter, but not a sniper) who's suffering from major shell-shock.  He spends most of the film just trying to hold himself together.  The corporal goes by "Deacon" because he's a really religious type.

Besides Deacon and the spy, there's a medic, a sergeant and another soldier who's rank I didn't catch.

Anyway, right now Saints and Soldiers is only open in Utah theaters, but hopefully should open nationwide soon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. Hope to see it soon. I have a friend who got to play an extra (german soldier) in this movie.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a LDS themed movie.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Mormon propoganda? No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually it got good reviews. But if it's only released in Utah, that might be the reason.

It is a movie made by Mormons about Mormons but the reviews said that it really didn't refer to the LDS church at all. Just implied the connection. I have not seen it, I am not Mormon, and it doesn't sound to be "propaganda".
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I could watch it, but I don't know if I would pay to do so.

Waiting for further reviews.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top