Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 5:32:59 PM EDT
Anyone a part of this and have experience and or opinions about Amway and their business?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL.

On the bright side, at least they admitted they were with Amway, unlike their millions of shadow companies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It's fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're dumb enough to sit through the pitch, you're dumb enough to sign up.

This goes for any get rich quick scheme.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's fucking stupid.
View Quote

This. Its a thing that preys on the poor, desperate, and stupid. The psychology is sneaky. "oh its easy if you work hard" and who is going to admit "meh, I dont work hard"
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck Amway. Won't be long before an Am-tard comes in here pitching the same line about "success isn't for everyone" bullshit.

Only reasons Amways hasn't be labeled as a pyramid scheme is because they donate big bucks to the GOP + they know they can get around the laws by trading BS like soaps and toilet paper for the "kick up" money, thereby skirting the current laws as they're written.

Even worse is that they recruit people from trusted circles like church communities.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Pyramid scheme.

It's all about getting others to sell for you and them getting others to sell for them, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Only reason I sat through it was because it was my neighbor and I didn't want to be rude. The whole time I was just thinking pyramid scheme.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Only reason I sat through it was because it was my neighbor and I didn't want to be rude. The whole time I was just thinking pyramid scheme.
View Quote

Your neighbor was rude for inviting you to a scam seminar. Screw him.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

When it comes to schemes like this, you have to be rude. Sorry, but it's rude for your neighbor to pressure you to do crap like that.

He's not through with you yet, trust me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

did you get a free gift at least?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're dumb enough to sit through the pitch, you're dumb enough to sign up.

This goes for any get rich quick scheme.
View Quote

Not completely true.  A couple years back I got straight-faced lied to, and found myself at a "job interview" with about 20 other people, all listening to some sort of get rich scheme.

It took me less than 1 minute to figure that out, but I sat through the whole speech.  Why, because the instructor gal was smoking hot

No, I did not sign up

Amway is a scam for everyone except the select few at the top.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a landlord one time that sold Amway... he did very well with it, but had been in since the very beginnings.  I know he didn't have a "job" and had 3 rental houses... but they lived in a $500k home and bought a couple of new caddys every year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
You have my deepest sympathies. I was invited to a "dinner" and found out only too late what was planned. I slept through 2/3rds of their spiel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your neighbor is trying to fuck you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Ahh..you must mean "the business"...
Worked for a few folks who were diamonds...one who was pretty high up and travelled world wide giving pep talks to folks on how to sell the business...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You have my deepest sympathies. I was invited to a "dinner" and found out only too late what was planned. I slept through 2/3rds of their spiel.
View Quote

Oh man that would piss me off

Of course, my wife invited her coworker over for dinner and her and her husband showed up with some other guy and they pitched us on some bullshit pyramid scheme. I was not amused and sent them on there way. Bastards.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate those idiots.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I sat through one about 20 years ago.  They went through their spiel about how big they are--"over 3 million members!", then later mentioned that their members had made "over $3 billion" in profits in the last year.  They didn't seem to appreciate it when I pointed out that their awesome express-lane to riches was netting people about a grand a year on average.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
OP any interest in selling for Beachbody?  We'll give you the tools to be your own boss!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#22]
So did I 20 years ago....an evening I will never get back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OP any interest in selling for Beachbody?  We'll give you the tools to be your own boss!
View Quote

Oh hell

I know several Beachbody "Coaches" that sell the programs and Shakeology bullshit ($120 for 20 servings and each serving is 120 cals or something absurd)

All the "coaches" that I know are fat and make zero progress on their weight but continue with the Shakeology bullshit.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you crack them across the temple with a monkey wrench?

ALL MLM should be outlawed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Shutupandtakemymoney
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's fucking stupid.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
yeah that's bullshit. a friend of mine tried to get me to "meet him for dinner" and finally admitted that's what he was up to   "okay so you're going to be downstream from me and I get a cut of whatever you sell?"
"What, uh, no.."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your neighbor was rude for inviting you to a scam seminar. Screw him.
yeah that's bullshit. a friend of mine tried to get me to "meet him for dinner" and finally admitted that's what he was up to   "okay so you're going to be downstream from me and I get a cut of whatever you sell?"
"What, uh, no.."

You would have ended up with the check
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Been there done that (duped into a business dinner), walked out when I heard "If your friends and family aren't into it, you don't need them, fuck them for not being supportive of you and your business, we are your family...blah blah" Oh hell no....it went from business dinner to pyramid scheme to borderline cult with protein bars and shit for dinner. Fuck that, I'm out of here, never mind I'm an hour drive from home, and rode there with the couple that duped me...I'm out!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Was there breath spray involved?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fresh breath is a priority in my life.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I actually have an uncle that did it for a few years and got pretty good with it. I don't know what he was making, but he's always been in sales of some sort.

In that time, he drove away family, all of his friends and everyone loathed even being in the same room with him.

You ready for that kind of action?  GO DIAMOND!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#32]
So you are a millionaire today?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Did your eyes glass over and did you buy a garage full of shit you hope to sell to your brother-in-law?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Consumer consumption driven business.  No sales, no profits.  Guess what?  Consumer is broke.  Businesses like Amway are hurting because consumption is down.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Amway is still around?   I guess there are still suckers to be had.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a better racket in the third world, where there's a still a cult of Western consumer goods. Amway's best seller there is whitening cream.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Pyramid schemes/MLM is the #1 way I lose friends on facespace.

"Hey plumber576 you look like a real go-getter. You ready to make real money? blah blah blah..."

I typically reply, "I didn't think you thought of me a big enough idiot to fall for that garbage, and I won't have a friend that think of me as an idiot."

Then I send them this and UNFRIEND!

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

My no good BIL from Indiana tried to push that shit on us once. My wife was trying to be nice since her sister had just married this jackass and agreed to let him come talk to us about it. About half an hour into his pitch I couldn't stand the bullshit any longer and I shut him down. He got all butthurt over it but admitted a few years later that it was just a big pyramid scheme scam to get people to buy a bunch of off-brand crap at inflated prices.
Amazon Prime FTW.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a better racket in the third world, where there's a still a cult of Western consumer goods. Amway's best seller there is whitening cream.
View Quote

Sadly, I can imagine that the scammers know that many people are hip to their bs and take the show in the road.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#40]
This.

Its not about product, its all how many people you can recruit.  Pretty soon all your friends/family won't talk to you and you'll be going to expensive seminars.  Its all about the downline.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Lost a good friend over that shit.

He called a bunch of us and asked us over for pizza, keg and some basketball.

We showed up and it was an Scamway pitch.

We all told him to get fucked and left.

Probably a dozen of his best friends.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#42]
One of the co-founders, Rich DeVos, is a major contributor to the GOP.

If I'm not mistaken he had a son who was a Thud pilot in Vietnam.  Something like that anyway.

ETA: Not mistaken, I remember it now.  He was (he was also shot down and rescued).

As for their product, I had someone throw a sales pitch at me for it years and years ago.

The guy was a friend, so I just sat there and smiled politely and nodded.

Then, when it was over, I ran like hell of course.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sadly, I can imagine that the scammers know that many people are hip to their bs and take the show in the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The biggest superstar "Independent Business Owners"  are largely Asian.

It's not so much a scam - because who the fuck doesn't know that it is "network marketing" at this point? - so much as it is a shitty and miserable way to scrape a buck while alienating people around you.

It might not be a bad gig for a charming sociopath.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's not so much a scam - because who the fuck doesn't know that it is "network marketing" at this point? - so much as it is a shitty and miserable way to scrape a buck while alienating people around you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see that
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#45]
25 years ago it was all about drawing circles and going Double diamond!!!

Not for me, but hands off to the families who made it work for them!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience Amway events usually involve a lot of breath spray. Like it's crack or something. I've confirmed this with others. Just curious if that's still the case.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#47]
They will burn in a special portion of Hell for the disgrace they have brought upon the name of Christianity.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#48]
go    

Every time I hear Amway or someone tries to pull me into this type of pyramid scheme, I think of this scene (and laugh at them with my typical response of "If it's that profitable, you don't need me")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdLWuCRe0c

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top