Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2002 7:10:48 PM EDT
Scored an 88, a 92, and 100 in firearms qualifications today, and I scored a 100 on the written exam, so If I were to be mobilized I can carry my service weapon. [:D]

Another day in the life of a Recuit at the NYPD Academy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to pick them at the beginning, and you are locked into your choice.  My OCI (Official Company Instructor) carries a Smith and Wesson 5946, so of course, anyone never shooting before chose that.  I recomended the Glock, espcially to the smaller women, but of course, not knowing me that well, they went with the "more experienced" OCI.  Now a few of them are having trouble with the trigger pull, and they are stuck with the firearm.

The three choices you get are:

Glock model 19
Sig Sauer model 226-p
Smith and Weson 5946
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
At least they get to pick!

I am lucky... can choose anything I want.  However, the new hires get issued a Glock 22.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At least they get to pick!

I am lucky... can choose anything I want.  However, the new hires get issued a Glock 22.
View Quote

Best thing going for us. I am sure you noticed on the line some people having problems with the 22, maybe they should consider the 23 or 27 for cases where the 22 is just to big!

Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Scored an 88, a 92, and 100 in firearms qualifications today, and I scored a 100 on the written exam, so If I were to be mobilized I can carry my service weapon. [:D]

View Quote

Good job and keep with it!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So Vin, what did you choose as your carry weapon?

Also, it is possible down the road to change up your choice of duty weapon. You just have to purchase the new weapon, magazine pouch, duty holster and qualify with it at the range.
View Quote

I went with the Glock 19 as my service weapon.  I'm gonna go with the 26 as my off duty/back-up, for the sheer fact that I can use the G19 mags in the G26, and of course they are the smaller and lighter of the bunch.

Down the road, yes you can change, but you are stuck with your choice in the Academy, and you need to get out of the Academy to be able to change your Service weapon.  The one girl I was speaking to isn't able to pull the trigger on the SnW.  3 out of 4 people that didn't qualify whe shooting the Smith.  The one girl that was shooting a Glock.  Her first round she shot a 90, then it went all down hill from there.  The three that have the Smith are having trouble pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Good job and keep with it!!
View Quote

Thanks.  I should have had my sights adjusted before I qualified, and I'd probably have gotten 3 100's.  I was shooting to the left so the instructor looked at my weapon and said he thought they were off a bit.  After realigning them I hit a piece of tape 1 inch by 1 inch dead center at 7 yards.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi Vinny, congrats on the scores. I didnt expect anything less from you. I cant wait for you to graduate so you can get some time off so we can get back down to Blackwater, i had a GREAT time when we went. I will be going again by the first week of Oct for an instructors course and again in Nov for a hostage rescue course. I am looking forward to going down again with the team. Call me buddy. Stay Safe..........JOHN
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank John.  Without you teaching me how to shoot a pistol "combative" style, I definitely wouldn't have done as well as I did.  One of the instructors actually asked if I was a former LEO because of the "habits" you got me into, such as covering "targets" down range after each shooting set, and not having to look at my mag pouch/weapon/holster when reloading/reholstering and keeping my eyes on the "theat".

You should really think about opening up a Shooting School in the NY area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Like i said vinny, i cant wait till you graduate. If you think we had a good time training for the last trip wait till you see some of the drills i am going to put you guys through. As for the school, you know my plans for that. I should have everything ready soon for a Carbine course, I would love to have you there. Talk to you soon friend. Stay Safe........JOHN
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Speaking of that carbine course........were still waiting!!!!!

Whats up John, how have you been?

Steven
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi Steve. Sorry for not be on lately, works been nuts and i am getting ready for a hostage rescue course. Give me a call and let me know what ammo you want. As for the carbine course, we can talk about it when we see each other. Talk to you soon. Stay Safe...........JOHN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top