Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 2:30:06 PM EDT
First, I'd like to say that this is not in any way an attempt to bash military, as I have nothing but the utmost respect for those that serve. Insert military for police/fire/medic and the question still stands.

People say that our military members are heroes, but I'd like to know exactly when they become heroes. Does one have to do anything heroic to become a hero, or do you automatically become one when you give your oath of enlistment?

OK, I've got my fire suit on. Flame away.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:30:23 PM EDT
OP is a hero.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:30:30 PM EDT
You're a Great American.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:33:12 PM EDT
It's the oath to serve thy country. OTOH, every fucking politician swears by it too. They're no heroes.

I did my service. I don't call myself a hero nor would I want people to call me one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:35:10 PM EDT
What some people call "Hero" others call a "Sub", "Po Boy" or "Hoagie".

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:35:47 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hauslp:
OP is a hero.
View Quote

Finally, I am recognized for my trailblazing threads!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:37:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:38:12 PM EDT
We've cheapened the word "Duty."  Military does their duty, and that's a noble thing.  There are a select few who are heroes, very few of them are still with us.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:40:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 2:42:41 PM EDT by tcrpe]
Hero:

noun (plural heroes)

a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities:
a war hero

the chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities, and with whom the reader is expected to sympathize.

(in mythology and folklore) a person of superhuman qualities and often semidivine origin, in particular one of those whose exploits and dealings with the gods were the subject of ancient Greek myths and legends.

2 (also hero sandwich) North American, another term for submarine sandwich.

I'll take sandwiches for 500, Alex .  .  .  .  .  .
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:42:27 PM EDT
The phrase 'sports hero' needs to go away.  Very little heroic about playing sports.  Jackie Robinson might get a pass on that one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:46:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tcrpe:
Hero:

noun (plural heroes)

a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities:
a war hero

the chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities, and with whom the reader is expected to sympathize.

(in mythology and folklore) a person of superhuman qualities and often semidivine origin, in particular one of those whose exploits and dealings with the gods were the subject of ancient Greek myths and legends.

2 (also hero sandwich) North American, another term for submarine sandwich.

I'll take sandwiches for 500, Alex .  .  .  .  .  .
View Quote

I lost hard!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:48:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:50:06 PM EDT
Everyone who posts in this thread will be my hero.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:53:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Partisan:
The phrase 'sports hero' needs to go away.  Very little heroic about playing sports.  Jackie Robinson might get a pass on that one.
View Quote

Or guys like Ted Williams or Yogi Berra who landed on Omaha Beach.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:55:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lunchbox704:

First, I'd like to say that this is not in any way an attempt to bash military, but I'm going to dance around the fact I feel like bashing military.

View Quote
Fixed it for you.
It's OK OP, the wars are winding down and It's OK to be jealous and hate the military again.
You're still a hero.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:58:02 PM EDT
I'm holding on for a hero.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:59:19 PM EDT
Teachers are heros too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:59:31 PM EDT
I need a hero...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:59:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Danner130:

Teachers are heros too.
View Quote
So are service worker union members!

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:00:42 PM EDT
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:01:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Brohawk:

Reminds me of Charles Barkley lecturing fathers to be role models for their kids instead of idolizing athletes.

He said something like, "It's not my job to be a role model for your kids - my job is to win basketball games." (Not a direct quote - that's the intent I remember)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brohawk:

Reminds me of Charles Barkley lecturing fathers to be role models for their kids instead of idolizing athletes.

He said something like, "It's not my job to be a role model for your kids - my job is to win basketball games." (Not a direct quote - that's the intent I remember)

Just because I can shoot a basketball, doen't mean I'm a role model

Or my Favorite

I knew as long as I was leading the SEC in scoring I didn't have to worry about my grades.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:01:38 PM EDT
You are a hero when the media says you are a hero.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:02:32 PM EDT
Hey there hero.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:08:06 PM EDT
View Quote

That term is a joke and an affront to anyone that has gone out of their way to help someone out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:10:53 PM EDT
All firemen are heroes.  I know that for a fact, because our local fireman's union has a billboard that told me so.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:22:29 PM EDT
Unless you are asking for everyone to throw around the the term hero too much, I would change "I propose" to "I'm of the opinion".

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:24:22 PM EDT
All firemen are heroes.  I know that for a fact, because our local fireman's union has a billboard that told me so.
View Quote

They should be punched in the mouth. Firemen are nothing special.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:26:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

As a former firefighter, I agree.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:38:09 PM EDT
Your post says exactly what Ive  been thinking. To me a hero is one that over comes his fear to the benifit of others in a specific situation.  Being dumb enough to stand up in your fox hole to take a piss and getting shot doesnt make you a hero........crawling out of your FH to perform your duties as a corps man.....yeh...that qualifies.

JMHO
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 4:03:07 PM EDT by Mauser101]
Service to one's country or community (police, firefighters,emts, etc...) while praise worthy does not instantly make somebody a hero.

In my six years I've met many pieces of shit and many that are just like me, joined to make a living first, joined to serve my country second.   I don't see that a bad thing.  I love my country without condition but all the love in the world doesn't put beer in my belly.

If somebody wants to thank me for my service  and call me hero I won't be so uncouth as to disabuse them of their opinion.  I just say thank you, shake their hand and move along. I don't agree that I've done anything deserving of praise but they're sentiment about the benefits of service are what it's really about to me.  I figure they're really thanking a real hero through me and that's a good thing.

Now I'll get back to writing evals.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:57:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:00:53 PM EDT
Beware anyone (or group) who calls themself a hero.  

Also beware those that call themselves "patriots".
Top Top